Discussion Corner: Overpowered...?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, May 29, 2015.

1. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

Don't really like the example but I guess it seems reasonable since most people literally do say X ability caused their opponent to "win the game". I don't think one spell/ability should be powerful enough to drastically shift the tide of the game. There are 100+ abilities in the game and 1 should not completely alter the tide. A combination of abilities/spells that create a larger mechanic that can turn the tide is acceptable/balanced.

2. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

The reverse is already sorta in the game in Onus of Kiergana. If you dont win in X turns you lose. I think it would be possible to make a "You win the game" mechanic balanced but is balance always the desired result? Even if it was balanced people would hate to lose against it. No matter the expense that the victor payed the loser would feel that the win was "cheap".

Strings likes this.
  3. nynevening

nynevening Member

Nope, because runes have interactions.
    Then you have themes, and some runes will always be played with other runes.

Because of sinergy, we will themes will emerge when balance is good enough. We will have the speed of elves, the mindless sacrifice of zombies, the uniqueness of dragons, the endurance of dwarves.

Each theme favoring a playstyle. None better than the other.

4. KingJad

If your were going to make an ability with that kind of power this is what I would consider balanced.

240 nora

"I win"
    (Global aoe targeting like summon ant)All your champions are destroyed. After 34 turns, your opponent's shrine and all of your opponent's units are destroyed, even if they would otherwise not be destroyed, and you win the game (this effect cannot be removed).

5. nynevening

nynevening Member

People will always cry, but in this case they will only be able to complain at their own skill.

6. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I think sacrifice is an interesting rune, because I don't think that the effect is OP in terms of cost-benefit.

What it is though, is unique in its effect - there aren't any other runes that give burst nora (as in a reasonable chunck of nora instantly). This effect is clearly very strong, and so any rune that provides it will be desirable.

But is it actually OP because it provides something you'll want in every deck, or is it like fireblast - doing what it does in a mediocre way, but is the only place to get it.

7. nynevening

nynevening Member

There should be more sacrifice/retribution mechanics available tough.

Like a samurai demon elf in UD with the hability of killing itself and doing a mini retribution.

Or a demon elf priest who can sacrifice other champs. Stuff like that.

8. badgerale

I can imagine a rune similar that is a reverse marsh song - it gives you a burst of nora which you must pay back with interest:

Pay day loan - 25 nora

You gain 75 nora, at the start of your next three turns you lose 25 nora.

9. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

The combos are already swimming through the air.

10. KingJad

um where's the interest?

nynevening likes this.
  11. badgerale

It costs 25 nora to use, so you are paying 100 in total for +50 immediate gain.

KingJad likes this.
  12. KingJad

completely ignored the cost to cast it.

13. nynevening

nynevening Member

@Sokolov you could stop releasing new mechanics and start only releasing new runes into existing themes.

It should be done since day one. Only release new mechanics and themes when the existing are ok.

Also, please publish the rune usage data of the top 10%. Dont forget the KF bonus change, please consider the ranged bonus change. I have a post that fully describe the change.

super71 likes this.
  14. nynevening

nynevening Member

In fact, could you make available real time public report page with the top 10% players rune usage.

15. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

Tl;dr.

I kid. After seeing your post, I actually hid myself in my room to look it over and spend a worthy amount of time one it (read: half an hour).

In actuality, I myself do not agree with what I said.
    I'll let people hate me for it, 'cause what people think of me makes little to no difference to me. Almost to a scary extent.

I say it that way for the benefit of those that need a short and sweet simplification of a complicated subject. In this case, the developers are looking for a short and sweet answer in order to make the game better.
    My main purpose in writing it was to attempt to enable others that wish to speak to recognize exactly what it is they should be addressing. That is, not things that make them happy/unhappy about the game in general, but specifically things labeled as "op" so that the developers might address it as they see fit (which will also be affected by player feedback, supposedly).

I realize that there is a lot more to it than "playing vs. winning", which is itself a fallacy. But most people are able to realize what I mean, that is:
    Desiring to win above all else, and not being able to enjoy a game if they do not or cannot win. These people do exist, I've met them.
    Desiring interesting interaction (intentionally vague umbrella term) with the game above all else, and not being able to enjoy a game if they are inhibited or stopped from doing this for any reason.

What drew them to the game in the first place will be something that told them that the game enables them to enjoy it in their preferred method. This is what we call "marketing". Marketing for games spans a much broader spectrum than most realize. It encompasses getting people in, and then keeping them there. This means that they must plan on who they wish to target.
    It is possible to get both of the vague-not-exactly-realistic groups, but it is difficult. One of the main issues in regards to this for Pox, is the issue of how runes should be designed.
    The first group prefers the runes designed one way (end over means). It doesn't matter how they win, just so long as they can/do. These people are okay with losing, if it means they have a better chance of winning next time (the road doesn't matter, what matters is what's at the end of it).
    The second group prefers another way (means over end). How they win is more important to them then winning. Often these people are okay with losing, as long as they enjoyed trying to get there (it's not the end of the road you enjoy, it's the ride there).

I hope that's clearer. I can be overly subtle sometimes.

I personally play Pox because I want to win. I play because Pox itself interests me (especially the lore and world), and I enjoy trying to win, even if I never get there. Although I'll try my hardest, and I literally refuse to ever press the forfeit button. That itself has actually allowed me to win most of my games.

16. NiGhtMaRiK

NiGhtMaRiK I need me some PIE!

Did you miss the word "scale"?
    I didn't say you had to have fun or win. I stated that the motivator is different for different people.
    Some people are more motivated by winning than they are having fun.
    If you think a unit looks cool, you like its abilities, you like it lore and it's your favorite and it happens to be meta when you picked up the game,
    and then 2 expacs later it is outclassed by superior units who you aren't too interested in or even care for their design but they are the top meta units
    and you stop playing your "favorite" unit and supplemented these unit's in because they ensure victory at a higher rate, then you aren't motivated by
    having fun, as much as you are motivated by winning. When you win, did you have fun? Sure. You are having fun. Im not denying that.
    Outmanuevering your opponent is fun to you? Yes! So you have fun playing at the top level of the game and battling skill with the best players and best units.
    Fun is a motivation. However, your reluctance to use units you actually like verse units that have a higher win probability means you are more motivated by winning.

This is really simple, i don't know why its such a deep debate.

SireofSuns likes this.
  17. NiGhtMaRiK

NiGhtMaRiK I need me some PIE!

Theres a spell that says, " I lose the game." It's 40 nora.

18. Garr123

Garr123 I need me some PIE!

On a related note, I worry the potential upcoming nerf to boost could shoebox some themes which rely on it if not handled with a lot of care.

I guess Treefolk would be beyond shoeboxed, maybe tossed in a waste bin somewhere, because I never even see anyone trying to play them anymore.

super71 likes this.
  19. kagebunshn

kagebunshn I need me some PIE!

So, there is a Magic Card that says 'you win the game' simply if you have 200 cards or more in your deck.

It is balanced because you have to play with a deck that has 4x the normal number of cards in it.

In Pox that is the rough equivalent of calculating the number of turns it would take an average deploy curve to rush shrine and kill it, then converting that to average nora gen/turn in total, then doubling that amount.

That gets you 'if your shrine is not transmuted, you win the game.' Being balanced Probably for around 800-900 nora. It would be a terrible spell and you would be humiliated if you lost to it, but it would be balanced.

If it was only 300 nora that could be done easily and it would break the game.

20. badgerale

I think more could be done with extream high nora costs and crazy strong effects.

A 300 nora spell that permenantly turned all enemy champions into fluffy bunnies would be a lot of fun.