Discussion: Patch Notes: March 26th, 2015

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Senshu, Mar 26, 2015.

1. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

True, UD has been really bad the past 3 years.

Qucas and Sealer0 like this.
  2. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

seriously soulthirster still need buff more than cost reduction of SS

3. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

You'd better watch out, people might be able to tell that you're being sarcastic here

themacca, Qucas and KingJad like this.
  4. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Yeah, should have totes put it in a
    spoiler box

5. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

:cool:

SPiEkY likes this.
  6. PurpleTop

Also, electric jab is now on both upgrade paths for the lightning elemental, meaning he can have it twice. I'm sure this isn't intentional..... right?

7. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

It's not, already slated for change and no, it won't proc twice (THE DREAM) so don't bother.

SPiEkY, Sirius and PurpleTop like this.
  8. PurpleTop

I will admit.... reading over the patch notes i was thinking "man, a lot of these buffed champs now look a LOT like they did pre-revamp..... so what was the point of the revamp?".

I don't play enough to make balance suggestions anymore, but this is what i was thinking

SPiEkY and Pedeguerra like this.
  9. PurpleTop

cool beans

10. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

Someone HAS to edit the new Purple Dragon image and add PurpleTop's hat to it.

Also, the point of revamp was moreso to reduce ability/pricing powercreep. Less abilities most of the time or full prices payed for them. Buffs make sense because it's not powerlevel per se that was intended to be reduced; also because a lot of stuff was just so godamn bland!

11. PurpleTop

I agree, but when the champs now (EG Shallaxy and Impeator and Lightning elemental) look almost exactly the same as they did pre -evamp, then there was no point in revamping them in the first place.

in other words, shallaxy (again, for example) was changed to her post revamp (albeit bland) state because she was considered overpowerd with her previous ability interaction. Now she looks almost exactly the same as she did pre-evamp, with some minor tweaks, so it's like the revamp never affected her. She isn't the only example of this, either. It's almost like the revamp happened, then people cried that their favorite toys were changed, so now they were changed back, negating the effects of the revamp.

It isn't that black and white with every case, but it is more than certainly noticeable on several specific runes

SPiEkY and Pedeguerra like this.
  12. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

What's wrong with that?

13. Sirius

It's certainly something to keep an eye on. I imagine it's very tempting for the rune designers too to add a lot of cool stuff to runes.

14. Sirius

Also:

"
    • Fixed an issue where the effects of Tales of Valor could not be dispelled."

^Best change in the whole patch. My reaction when reading it was: "WHAT?! I didn't even know it was supposed to be dispellable! firk yeah!"

15. kagebunshn

kagebunshn I need me some PIE!

KF buffs seem OK. Have to test verdant promise. Erilun's favor might be useable now.

Random huge cost adjustment to Rally the Herd seems odd. Centaurs a a horrible theme right now. Does this mean they are getting some love soon ?

Fae can use the damage increases.

16. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

So first we should establish what the goals of the revamp were:
    • power creep reduction
    • ability count creep reduction
    • more strict adherence to costing of stats and abilities
    The goal, of course, was not to make runes shoebox, or unplayable, even tho that was the result of many runes, particularly higher costed ones (usually higher rarities). The "cheap spam" has been lamented by various players.

Certainly, we don't want undo the goals, but one of my goals is to address the shoebox problem, and also to remove some of the blandness from many iconic champions who lost a lot of identity. For many themes, this is also an issue, with many champions now overlapping on similar roles due to similar abilities and upgrades. These things make sense when you look at the runes individually, but when designing a new rune for a theme, for example, you want the new rune to plug some hole, not just compete for the exact same position as an existing champion.

In the case of runes like Shallaxy. the revamp, as you said, left her bland. The changes to her, however, do not make her "almost exactly the same as she did pre-revamp" at all to my mind, especially not on the power level side of things.

Her pre-revamp build had Gravity Well, Deploy: Rock Trap AND Wicked Aura base, along with access to Battle Drum AND Deflect on upgrades (so she had a multi ability combo on her own, plus a global AP ability as well as a high value defensive ability). This for 85 nora, along a great state line of with 12 DMG, 6 SPD, 1-3 RNG, 2 DEF and 54 HP.

Now, she has had Gravity Well/Deploy: Rock Trap returned, but Deploy: Rock Trap is on an upgrade slot. She has access to Deflect still, but also upgrades. She costs less, but has a weaker stat line (75 nora for 10 DMG, 6 SPD, 1-2 RNG, 1 DEF, 50 HP).

Players like @Pedeguerra and @Strings have highlighted how "cheap spam" isn't fun (which is a symptom both of the cheapness being efficient, but also the fact that many of these higher costed runes simply don't offer anything compelling relative to the stat-heavy counterparts), and this change helps that. At the same time, we'll continue to hit the runes that are over-efficient relative to the current state as well.

I'd also say that the goals of the revamp were preserved with this change - the unit has not been powercreeped back to those levels (at least in my opinion), no ability count creep occurred, and we restored some uniqueness and flavor to her.

So that's how I see it. The goal is not to roll back to pre-revamp power levels (and it'd be fairly disjointed if runes were that way), but rather to bring back what made some of these champs interesting and fun to play compared to their "cheap spam" counterparts, something I think most players are on board with - they want to play with champs with interesting abilities, not bags of stat.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    Joker, Tweek516, Mr.Knabber and 4 others like this.
  17. Sokolov

To expand, Skywing Imperator is actually pretty different, I'd argue, when pre-revamp he had access to 2 Cones for which 2 the Acolytes for, and tanked with Majestic while healing himself via the Cones. Post-revamp he had largely just lost Majestic, and retained the other elements, and that hasn't really changed with this update - So if he's somehow "almost exactly the same" then you'd really have to say he didn't change much with the revamp to make that argument in the first place.

This update largely gave him a different AE ability that he never had before and fits him more into the Sand Theme (and offering him something to do on the off-turns post cone nerfs), while shifting him even farther from his roots by moving both Acolytes to upgrades. So yea, pretty different.

~

Lightning Elemental is probably the closest of the examples, in terms of what he looks like pre-revamp and now. But he actually didn't change much with the revamp either, losing 1 SPD and going to 3-5 from 2-5. The problem here is that 3-5 really makes him super awkward with 6 SPD, particularly since he has Bolt, so it just really didn't work (and was probably just overlooked during the revamp). Now, he is 1-4 (which is arguably better than 2-5 for him, tho he has Mobility both pre- and post- revamp), but he still is 6 SPD instead of 7.

~

So I'd say, in regards to the Lightning Elemental, which didn't change all that much with the revamp, is also exactly the kinds of things we SHOULD be addressing - because it is definitely not the goal of the revamp to create really awkward stuff that isn't runnable or fun to play with.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    Tweek516 and Sealer0 like this.
  18. Sokolov

Oh, and do keep pointing it out if you think we are rolling back to pre-revamp. Because I want to be diligent in ensuring that is NOT what is happening (either in new design or in buff rounds).

I will definitely examine the runes in question (as I did here), to make sure we aren't going backwards in terms of progress.

Tweek516 and Sealer0 like this.
  19. Strings

Strings Devotee of the Blood Owl

Did I say it was not fun? I am not sure. I don't think that was the specific point I was trying to get across. I think my on going gripe has been "champ presence on the map has not be accurately accounted for in unit costing" along with "the revamp removed many mechanical balance elements while providing nothing substantial in return", although the second point has since been dealt with very well.

As for the first point, I think it is going well as well, although we are not there yet. This latest balance batch was the right direction though (IMO of course) and I enjoy seeing your ideas in play as they are often creative. Anyway, keep it up.

20. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!