Faction Bonus Change

Discussion in 'K'Thir Forest' started by xezno, Jan 21, 2015.

1. polltroy

polltroy I need me some PIE!

Especially, with lots of ranged units, kf are already string end game. Tjis makes them even stronger end game! So kf will be all about waiting out. In the past, thanksto high speed, kf could also be played tricky font rushers or shrine rushers or just agressive in general. No more, now it will be the super faction for long games. Stall stall stall.

2. Pathfnder

Pathfnder Devotee of the Blood Owl

What? How is movement-only initiative defensive? It works better when far away from a font:

Fighting a front-line battle at enemy font? deploy champ in your zone and move it out of your deployment zone and into the battle. Very KF.

Fighting a defensive battle? Deploy champ in your font zone, and... move it around a little bit... doesn't really accomplish much since it can't use abilities. You forget that the suggestion was for movement only.

3. polltroy

Exactly. There have been twomways to play kf. Onewas offensive, push and use spell to keepthe push alve. Or 2 stall game and wait untill u have massive force of ranged u its so any push from enemy will be contered deadly. Well with this new idea, the first strategy is killed and the second, defensive, in enchanced. So to me this is just the opposite of what would make gameplay more fun.

And imagine end game, when there are like 10 enemy champs out, then take init +7 ap and then invigorate +4. So u have 13 steps to move and then still 8 ap to attack! Even more than with timeslip.

Sometimes i wonder how those devs are actually thinking, there were many good suggestions in the kf faction threads, this is defi ately the most stupid of all suggestions so far.

4. polltroy

So as everyone knows he will be screwed if game against kf lasts more than a few champ deploys, so it means as soon as someone sees kf played, the now slow (in start) kf will be overrun game by game by the other now normally fast factions hwo will furiously charge and more than often win by their supperior damage and defence and ap adjusted speed.

5. xezno

xezno I need me some PIE!

You throw out so many random numbers polltroy and you still keep forgetting that the bonus ONLY applies to movement. Once again the only way you could attack is with ap gained from int and we don't have that many int units to begin with. Sok hasnt even said what the X would be. Also the fact you are so against it makes me like it even more.

6. polltroy

U forget things like normal initiative and ap buffs like invigorate. Imagine fion using 10 free movments to align and then invigorate for a 30hp heavy charge. Or condor fury, deploy, move 10 steps, them make 2 attqcks thanks to the light as feather spell, then add to that hunter rquipment on him. And u can autokill any champ 9 saces from any deployment zone. :) kf will be all about stalling and saving nora for those one rojndjng from delpoy :) maybe one-rounding will get the new expresson on-deploying. :) or deploykills. In an extreme case j could even pull off two kills from one deploy :) doubledeploykills :)

7. polltroy

When did KF become the faction that should stall game as long as possible? I thought KF are offensive.

8. Pathfnder

Your declaring moving and attacking in one turn as a defensive strategy? A bonus like this would be useful no matter how many champs are on the board, letting you move forward to attack.

Plus, as @xezno said, you are throwing around numbers and assigning hard numbers to something that was merely a suggestion. Sok didn't give a number, so you declaring that Fiorn gets 10 free movement is ludicrous. Everybody, except you it seems, knows that the "X" in soks statement would never be "1". It would most likely be 4 or at MINIMUM 2 (even that is a stretch). That would mean in your scenario, the only free movement Fiorn would get would be 2 or 3 spaces.

Free movement IS offensive. It gets you to the front lines. I certainly wouldn't wait to get a build-up of units before I tried to press the front line just to get the benefit of 1 or two free movements on a deploy. If you are turtling, what are you doing with all the free movement you got before? Nothing.

xezno likes this.
  9. xezno

Polltroy ^^

Pathfnder likes this.
  10. polltroy

I now saw it was added there will be a cap. And the x may be more than 1. So not so op like i assumed at first. Either way to me this promotes the build up at frontlines-play, which in my opinion is the death of pox. Booring.

11. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Please note the more refined concepts as I posted to the Crate at present:

KF Faction Bonus A
    FF: When deployed, friendly champions may move 1 space for free for every X enemy champions in play, to a maximum of Y.​
    KF Faction Bonus B
    FF: When deployed, friendly champions gains X AP if there are at least Y enemy champions in play.​

The idea here is to promote the type of gameplay that was part of KF's original identity - the mobile force that could hit you where you aren't prepared. Some of the most iconic moments of KF gameplay are units like the Ranger or Mountain Garu coming out and reinforcing a front that might have otherwise looked weak, or smacking you in the face immediately. It also keeps the feeling of "speed" in KF without creating an eternal stat-cost imbalance for the most important stat in the game.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    Sirius, DarkJello, Etherielin and 2 others like this.
  12. polltroy

Actually when the game was cool and new, kf was not the initiative faction. They had only rascal fairy. Kf was the faction that was quick in the beginning and strong on spells but weak in combat. Kf was never the buold up faction from beginning and definately never the initiative faction. This kinds of surprise attacks were for those factions who have ap spells or who have lots if init or have power turn spells like drakonian benediction etc. Or for those factions who could make nora investments, they also liked build up play. So you are wrong again sok. U dont remeber those days or what?

Kf was always from beginning (and as concept of elves) weak and fragile, but quick. So they could outrun enemies, build up ap and make 2 attacks now and then when enemy made 1, have speed enough for both attack and run away, take and contest fonts slightly more effective. This is pure kf. Mobility, speed, expensive cost, low hp kow dmg and range were concepts of kf. NOT initiative, NOT build up stalling games. Not line up or powerturn play. No moga armies of cheap champs. You are probably thinking of sl on initiative and powerturns. Even the most powerturn garu was sl (he never sees play since the revamp, did not see him even once, so u may have forgotten).

13. xezno

As far as A vs B goes, my initial thought is that I like the movement ability of A over B. B would be nice in the sense that it would allow for an attack/ability to be used with the AP and honestly it would be less confusing than A but I am under the assumption that it would be less AP generated than the potential of A. A on the other hand would allow for a unit to be deployed and get to the action faster but have the restriction of only being used for speed.

I would rather have the versatility of setting up units where I want them on the field. Also I am afraid B could prove very powerful with specific support units and cause greater restrictions in the long run.

14. Sokolov

I am guessing you weren't playing when 2x Ranger and 2x Mountain Garu was auto. Usually with 2x Elven Mage teleporting all over the place too.

15. Sokolov

I think so too, but I wanted to put out a way for it to be AP that seemed ok to me.

DarkJello, Etherielin and Pathfnder like this.
  16. Pathfnder

These both seem pretty nice in their own ways. I like where this is going.

Both of Sok's suggestions are perfectly in line with this... Plan B is based on enemy units, so therefore requires your enemy to build-up, and not you. Plan A does grant free movement based of your own units, but remember, these bonuses are only on deploy. If you are building up an army to activate this ability, it will realistically only count for the 1 unit per turn. If you don't use that movement on deploy, it is essentially wasted, meaning it is most definetly NOT a build-up strategy as you suggest.

A strategy of deploying a bunch of units and sitting on them defensively with the sole purpose of making a power-turn based of the free movement given to one or two deployed champs would most certainly fail.

17. Sokolov

A is currently enemy only also, but friendly is something we could certainly talk about, and that is also in flavor, since KF is probably the most close-knit and features the least internal strife of all the factions (unlike De'lim came along anyway).

18. polltroy

Its not how i remember kf, but j are right, both ranger and mountain garu had initiative. Elves were all about mobility, like the mage teleporting around or the font binus mobility, not about build up. What you do now will just promote the build up play. This is what u should disencourage no make more interesting games.

19. xezno

Personally I would rather keep it enemy and have it count summons. This would make KF a pseudo anti-summon faction without having to relay on the same old tricks of swarm and sever summons.

Etherielin and Pathfnder like this.
  20. polltroy

Its a defensive concept. "The more enemies at our gates, the quicker we run out to defend." Kf should be about few weak champs that are hard to catch, always findjng a way tk run away. Not like: storm out quickly and meet enemy, then stay stuck jn fight due to we are tired and can no longer run quick. This bonus could fit much better to IS actually.