How much you reckon Pox is worth ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Axeraiser, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

Gedden used to be quite active ik the Octopi days. Then was somewhat active when they got it back from SOE but I remember him saying he didn't want to be posting on the forums , I assume he's still about though.

2. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

Here's the thing:

Pox business model is terrible, outdated for a decade, and is the main reason of pox misery. However if it still brings any profit, you have to account for at least some projections, it could be used in a transition phase while you meddle with code, and no one can guarantee that any new model gonna work right away.

Pox code is also terrible, outdated for a decade, and is the main reason of pox stagnation. However it works, and could be used in a transition phase while you meddle with business model.

Pox sprites are not even skeletal, and imo 3d is essential for the game extensibility anyway - however same as code they can work right away (at least to some point, cause animations are not all mapped yet in the new client).
    Pox art is solid, however it may not be worth its market price in a pure business scope.
    Rune design is questionable, however 2k runes are still 2k runes. Same for brand reputation.

As a result, estimation here is almost completely subjective.

3. fogandsteel

fogandsteel I need me some PIE!

There was talk about Pox 2.0 by Sokolov.
    Whichever way you want to go, better to start from a clean slate, I think. (Another reason it that with the current number of runes, for an average gamer out there Poxnora is too overwhelming. If you start anew, it's much easier to handle 30 runes than 3,000.)

4. fogandsteel

What interests me even more is how much it would cost today to create and successfully launch a game like Poxnora from scratch? @LoganMkv

5. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

revenue x 5 years (lol) + assets (lol)

6. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

Well Axe if you are talking about buying it out I am sure you will do wonders with it!

Axeraiser likes this.
  7. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

There was conquest of champions that had slightly similar style/lore but crashed and burned.
    Currently there is longsword and shardbound that are being developed that are somewhat related.

8. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

@zer0sum can give you an exact quote )

9. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

'bout three fiddy

10. kazekage

kazekage The King of Potatoes

Seriously, it seems that if at least want this game playable we need to take it in our own hands and "hack to play" sorta speak

11. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- OMG conquest of champions... had some original members from what? Octopi? That game hurt to play...clearly a IOS type format and something to play while at the bus stop or at work between calls.

12. zer0sum

zer0sum The King of Potatoes

To recreate Pox Nora from the ground up in 3D, you need about a thousand bucks per champion card and about 300 bucks per spell card, plus about 200k in programmer time. 2D could be a lot cheaper than 3D. Even so, this is a really low estimate. It's how much I could do it for.

For Longsword I am cutting corners in a lot of ways by creating card art using my 3D assets for screenshots, editing them in photoshop, etc. I couldn't even raise 20k to make the game, so it's not like the demand is super high. I'm using a lot of stock assets where I can to save costs.

DiCEM0nEY likes this.
  13. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Most of these don't really have anything to do with this kind of valuation.

~

Nor would my presence or lack thereof be part of such a discussion.

When it comes to intellectual property like this, it'd be largely be 3 parts:
    1. Revenue Projections
    2. Value of IP
    3. Value of Userbase
    2 and 3 are obviously very subjective.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  14. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

So basically, a tenner would probably buy it.

BurnPyro likes this.
  15. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

Ask gedden how much he wants

DiCEM0nEY likes this.
  16. fogandsteel

Does that include art costs?

17. zer0sum

zer0sum The King of Potatoes

Yeah, that's basically with art costs. Complex and non-bipedal champions would cost more. Basically you can get a rigged 3D model for about 600 bucks if you have the right contacts, and a nice portrait for 300 bucks. Animations on a rigged bipedal model are essentially free. The oddball stuff like pincushion or something would be more complicated

18. Silveraine

Silveraine I need me some PIE!

I have a different question @Sokolov. Can't Pox work as an android app? With features similar to clash of clans, I don't think it would have a bad gaming experience. Thoughts?
    And I am not saying make this happen. Just a general question, is it possible? If not, why?

19. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

too small screen i think. Pox need more space. Could be playable only on ipads-like and also then you need a quite precise touch so prbably a pen...

20. Silveraine

Silveraine I need me some PIE!

Ya I thought about that, but if you are familiar playing Clash of clans, they have a pretty neat zoom which could solve the problem I think.