How to restart the infinite thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Geressen, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

our party split up to do some last minute preparations to prepare our new estate for the king's vissit
    so while the pixie was with the warforged in a city because "Ï want to be a real boy" -pinochio
    and our half orc was gathering an ettin head we stored someplace else, and the dwarf was smithing with his broseph

I went into the city and recruited 14 orphans

our dwarf being the only one who came from an actual family structure and is not immortal/amnesiac/loopy/insane is the least thrilled about this.

2. Gaverion

Gaverion I need me some PIE!

What did you recruit them for exactly?

3. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

cant recruit fellow kobolds untill we stop the slave ship that has those on board, we need a workforce, the oldest of my "recruits" is 5 years older than my Kobold character ;)

"hey remember me and the fairy and the robot, we got big house, you work for us and live there?"

oldest is gonna be aprentice for the blacksmith we recruited, I am taking the twins and the sneakiest to be my spies. they can gather wood and berries and our half orc is gonna teach them to hunt and fight ;)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  4. Extinctshun

Extinctshun I need me some PIE!

5. Vash Dragneel

Vash Dragneel I need me some PIE!

You'll be sayin'
    No, no, no, no, no
    When it's really
    Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes
    You'll be sayin'
    No, no, no, no, no
    When it's really
    Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes

6. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

no means no.
    nee also means no
    non too meas no
    nein is no but in German.

7. Vash Dragneel

But what are words for when no one listens anymore

8. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

ug su zho shigg kima sanze uh dha ymdavub.

9. Vash Dragneel

Sorry, I wasn't listening!

10. Extinctshun

11. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

yeaaaaa

12. Extinctshun

13. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Seems you could read Jeremiah to get most of the words about people not listening... though not all.

Anyway... I don't know how many of you have heard of the P&P RPG "Rifts." Not to be confused with the modern MMORPG "Rift", which is completely unrelated save the name and the idea of tears in the fabric of reality along Leylines...

The Rifts RPG was set on earth, but essentially multiple different flavors of post-apocolyptic Earth. The premise being that at various Leyline Nexus portals to other worlds/universes opened... and it didn't go well for most everyone. Africa became a demon infested wasteland partially ruled over by one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocolypse, while the Egyptian Gods also manifested and carved out their own section in the north. England was overcome by an ancient Fey Forest (that moment when london turns into a millenia old forest with trees to match). The US essentially became an odd mix of Fallout/Tank Girl for most of the wildlands and Shadowrun within the megacities that survived.

The idea behind it was to combine as many genres as possible. Allowing players to create a party that combined a member of the Blackwood Detective Agency with a stereotypical Elven Wizard, a merc from Bubblegum Crisis, and Jesse Custer.

They even had an official Robotech book (or was it unofficial? I forget, but the point is, Robotech had a home there, missile spam and all). The important thing is: While they didn't have source books on it (that I'm aware of) you could technically have rifts open up to just about anything you wanted, so long as you gave appropraite stats/rules (and you didn't try to market anything copywritten) you could justify having the Imperium of Man fighting Sailor Moon fighting Xenomorphs inside Mary Poppins' chalk world; if you really wanted to.

In any event, me and my brothers tried to play the game when I was much younger. I don't remember much about it's mechanics over all, other than that one of the features was to distinguish between "Normal" damange and "MEGA" damage. The former generally being enough to bring down basic humanoids, the latter being necessary to break through power armor or take on eldritch horrors through force of arms. The other thing I remember was that I generally quite liked the art in the rulebooks at the time, at least most of it.

I had chosen to play a spy character, with stealthy power armor that had chameleon like properties, and a suite of support powers from a mixture of magic and psychokenesis. My brother played a more typical mercenary character (also with power armor of course). The setting was in one of the aforementioned megacities. In any event, we had been hired to capture (dead or alive) a number of suspected criminals of some sort. So, wearing my camo armor, I turned myself into a 2D person, and had my brother slide me under the door. Even after dismissing the spell and becoming 3D again the armor did it's job and made sure I went unnoticed and was able to take the sole gaurd, who was intently watching the door, by surprise even though I was right in front of him.

My character was a professional. One who knew how to take out enemies quikly and quietly. I, the player, however, was not such a professional...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    Geressen likes this.
  14. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

[​IMG]

15. Vash Dragneel

That's what I want to know

16. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

[Insert image of Iroh effectively telling Zuko to be patient here... I spent a good 12 minutes or so looking for a meme-worthy picture of that but I just couldn't find it, and I didn't want to try making my own.]

My character had the element of surprise, and a combat knife. So he leapt up from the ground and moved to stab the enemy. Because I rolled well and had the element of surprise, my other brother who was running the game gave me the option of where I would hit: to paraphrase... "you manage to stab him in the head, killing him, any particular place you'd like to hit?"

My first thought was: "Well, naturally, I should get the throat, make sure he can't call out... but... is that really part of the 'head'? Maybe if I destroy the guys brain it will drop him instantly and keep him from alerting the others; the eye is the weakest point there, so I can go and stab through the eye, hit the brain, kill him instantly." So I say: "stab him through the eye." This is successful, and the guard, which most certainly did not die instantly from getting his brain poked, let out a horrifying scream, alerting the enemies in the adjoining room. The guard still died, but it was a slow, agonizing death relative to what I had envisioned. My other brother wonders aloud why I didn't stab him in the neck, since that's what he would have probably gone for.

The enemies come in, as does my brother playing the merc, responding to the noise by breaking through the door by walking forward. A fight ensues, but a lot of the enemy don't actually have MEGA-damage capable weaponry, the few that do get taken out as a priority; it was the first time we'd played the game and I think my other brother was going for an introductory combat more than anything truly serious. Finally we're left with one opponent who surrendered. The "calm, collected" professional that I am playing, take out a pistol after all the knife work and shoot him in the head; as he wasn't needed alive and didn't have any useful information. No need to leave loose ends.

The head however was unarmored, and the pistol I chose was one of those mega-damage weapons, I wanted to be sure it would be a quick death this time after all, no need to prolong his suffering. This however meant that the victims head was essentially vaporized. As well as part of the wall. And a fair chunk of the neighboring building.

So now my character, who was supposed to be a stealthy, calm, collected spy turned out to actually be a brutal homicidal maniac. I was naturally mortified; but could really only blame my own poor choices.. The session ended the mission was accomplished, and my brothers both commented chearfully about how impressively vicious my character was.

I never played Rifts since.

Geressen and Vash Dragneel like this.
  17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

should have shot him in the back with a silencer.

[​IMG]

Vash Dragneel and Ohmin like this.
  18. Vash Dragneel

Sounds like fun, why'd you never play again?

19. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I think I did try again at some point, but after that first session I was reluctant to keep playing that character. Most of us were into DnD more anyway; and by the time playing something else came around my other brother had moved out of the house; and playing a PnP RPG with only 2 people... doesn't work that well.

20. Vash Dragneel

Everybody was Kung fu fighting