How to restart the infinite thread.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Geressen, Jun 17, 2015.

1. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I'm in Minnesota, we've had record snowfall for October. We may also hit record low temps yet this month.

2. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

That's rough, I live in Oklahoma, where the forecast is a suggestion.

3. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

there is your problem right there.

4. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

You could always move to California, then all you'd have to worry about is the power company turning off your power during heatwaves and windstorms, earthquakes, and uncontrolled fires that have covered area roughly equivalent in size to 9% of the state of Oklahoma in one year alone, sending clouds of smoke over major cities so thick you literally could not see the sun even at high noon.

But at least it would be warm? Most of the time?

Speaking of playing DnD by yourself (or online), anyone else pick up the definitely not complete Baldur's Gate 3?
    I have a general rule against buying games before they are properly released, but I decided to go ahead and make an exception for this one. It's enjoyable enough for what little of it is available so far. Waiting till there's some more significant updates before playing it more, mostly though I also don't know what kind of character I actually want to play as.

My traditional character for Baldur's Gate was a Gnome Illusionist (19 Int FTW!) named Carl Glittergold, who was a very "good" guy; but that was also specifically with 2nd Ed rules, and I'm not as familiar with 5th ed rules, and I think I want to play a different archetype anyway (still a "good" guy, I don't like being a jerk even in RPGs... impish prankster sometimes, but that's about as close to being "evil" as I tend to let myself get when given the option to do otherwise).

5. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

The only incomplete game I've picked up lately is Hades, and that was a year before it was launched. No regrets, Super Giant makes amazing games, and Hades is the best yet.

6. Vash Dragneel

Vash Dragneel I need me some PIE!

I got Nexomon a couple of months ago, but it wasn't incomplete so much, it's just that they kept listening to feedback and adding new items and features

7. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

8. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

9. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Well done Stibbles. Well done.

10. Vash Dragneel

Oh hot damn, this is my yam, I dress it up and then I feed it some ham

11. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I'm not sure how you feed a yam. I suppose you could take the ham, bury it underground and then plant the yam above it? Seems a bit excessive, but if it's your yam, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Speaking of strange things to feed your yam...

Over a decade ago, AEG published "The World's Largest Dungeon". I'm not sure if it properly still holds that title, but for a pre-planned fully mapped out dungeon, it certain is large. If your DM does not allow you access to (parts of) the map as players, I pity your group's cartographer (unless said person is a huge fan of Guild of Dungeoneering for a reason...)

In any event, though we never finished (for good reason) I did have the opportunity to play a bit. While I often play skills-focused characters, I had opportunity, both due to the size of the group and the choices of other players as well as the lenience of the DM to mess around with a very silly idea I had.

So I made the following character: A lycanthroped human warrior. Rather than using the standard "wolf" template I used the "riding dog" template, because it had better overall stats in 3.5 As a human and a fighter with a template attached, it meant I had access to plenty of feats, and a Riding Dog, like a Wolf, gets "Improved Trip" for free. So I went all in on the idea, giving him proficiency with the Spiked Chain weapon and as many ways to enhance tripping as I could... figuring the rest of the party can deal with any slimes or oozes we might come across. As a "level 1" character with a template he'd have slower growth, but damage resistances and 24 Strength as a base starting stat... overall, he could trip things easier than he could hit them, and with Combat Reflexes if they tried to stand up in my reach you can trip them again (with Improved Trip giving free attacks against successful trips).

I imagined him to essentially be a big were-Rottweiler. His name was Spike.

It was an amusing run, though relatively short lived as some of the players involved ended up peeling off to deal with real life and replacements were not readily available. The other "strange race" character I tried out in a store-wide "Undermountain" campaign was a little-known race from "Races of the Wild"... no, not the birdpeople or the catfolk, much as I enjoy both of those... the Fey "Killoren" which were plant-like Fey with humanoid bodies that held different "aspects". The Aspect of the Ancient, Aspect of the Hunt, and the Aspect of Destruction. They would have shifts in personality depending on which Aspect they would embody for the day, not on the level of a split personality or anything that extreme. More like the same Killoren with Ancient aspect would tend to be more thoughtful, less impulsive, and less overtly aggressive than one with Hunt or Destruction manifested. I think it's a really interesting idea, and I'm curious how one might be able to adapt it to 5e or Pathfinder as a custom race (while Pathfinder does keep a lot of 3.5, the specific rules for Killoren don't fit well as a straight port).

That in mind, while I was watching the Yogscasts' "Lightfall Campaign" I had an idea for a character in the setting, basically, a Killoren scribe traveling around the area to determine whether or not it would be worth trying to reestablish contact with the Prime Material plane or if the tribe/nation/whatever he's from should stay in the Fey realms. For lack of anyone to play with these days, the character was never realized, and again I'm not sure how you'd make a Killoren for 5e anyway. But I did eventually adapt the base concept into the character Quill Parche, which I used in Calisk's forum campaign (sadly now defunct); with obviously a lot of changes and modifications to his background (Quill being a human with a sordid past going on a "fun" expedition). Wasn't as interesting in terms of innate abilities or the adjusting of personality, but it was fun trying to make a Support Fighter focused less on kicking ass (though he still did from time to time) and more on aiding his allies and ensuring the job got done.

Vash Dragneel likes this.
  12. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

heard someone talk during an online game about how fall damae does not cause bleedin, wished I'd have known that before getting 17 normal stitches and 4 subdermal stitches in my leg sunday morning :(

13. Vash Dragneel

You okay and what did you do?

Ohmin likes this.
  14. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Remember, you need to cast Feather Fall first, otherwise you still take fall damage (but seriously, hope you're doing alright).

Geressen and Vash Dragneel like this.
  15. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I left the hatch to the basement open for the cat then went to the toilet in the dark morning and suddenly remembered the hatch was open when I fell onto and scraped a railing through a subdermal layer of upper leg fat. so I needed 4 subdermal stitches to get the fat layer together so they could use 17 normal stitches to stitch the skin back into shape.

16. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

this is the railing, the white blobs are leg fat
    [​IMG]
    this is the wound an hour after aquiring it.
    [​IMG]
    and this is after stitches and healing for 2 days
    [​IMG]

IMAGIRL likes this.
  17. Vash Dragneel

Jesus, that looks painful, hope it heals quickly

18. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Based on the description... I sure am glad I can't see those images with my current settings. I do still see the "Dance of Dragons" signature... which is what I'm going to choose to believe is the sequence of what you looked like whilst falling, though sadly minus the uplifting wings, balancing tail, and hard-as-steel scales to protect you.

May your recovery be swift and complete.

19. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

its the healin that is painfull, getting a wound is the quick part aswell ;P

IMAGIRL and Vash Dragneel like this.
  20. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

Might need a band-aid for that