Is there enough incentive to play ranked?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Osidan, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Osidan

Osidan I need me some PIE!

Interested in opinions. I personally find there is too little reward to play ranked. I wish something was installed that you get gold simply for playing. For example: 1st daily ranked game 200 gold. 2nd daily ranked game 300 gold. 3rd daily ranked game 400 gold. Ideally for, say, 5 games! For wins you could get additional gold, but I think it's important to create incentive for simply playing the game, regardless of whether you win or lose. This might succeed in keeping all types of players interested in playing ranked a couple of times a day without thinking much. Similar to the two single player games. It could lead to higher population and play frequency.

Finally, it would be nice to have seasons where at the end you get rewards for how highly you placed. Right now it seems to me, playing for top rank is not incentivized enough, except for bragging rights.

What are people's thoughts on this topic?

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

First, thanks for the feedback :)

~

You already do get gold for simply playing.

You also get gold (and even Shards) if you complete the various Heroic Achievements that cycle from time to time.

You also earn points towards Leagues, all of which have rewards that are automatically given when you hit that League.

The first League gives you 1000 gold which can be gotten by playing just a few games, win or lose, and the prizes escalate from there (though further up you have to start winning).

There are also end of season rewards already, though there is no in-game system currently that tells you when you got the prize (that'll be changing).

You can see some of the details for the above in the patch notes for the latest expansion here:
    http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/visions-of-amareth-patch-notes.19835/

So basically, yes, I agree... and all of those things already exist, most of which was added in the last couple of years since DOG took over.

So maybe the problem is we aren't doing a good job of communicating them?

3. TeaNinja

TeaNinja I need me some PIE!

The reward for being promoted from Limited to Battlemaster is 2000 shards.

4. Osidan

To Sokolov:

The gold from the first league is indeed something good, but I think rewarding games played on a daily basis regardless of win or loss is more powerful at achieving what we want: players playing ranked games every day without thinking much, similar to the two daily quests in single player.

The end of season rewards are not communicated well, I think, at least I didn't know anything about them.

Thanks for your reply, at any rate. Think about adding a daily gold bonus for playing ranked, this is more incentive than getting, say, 3 commons... shards are good, too, but I think something simple would do a better job.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  5. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

As I said, you already do get gold for playing. You get gold every game, regardless of win or lose. Is this not working or something?

Etherielin and JellyBerry like this.
  6. Osidan

Yes you do! But is it enough that people are playing ranked every day? ;-) I accept your position if you think it is enough. Have a good day!

7. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

I've been playing for ten years but still have no idea what the leagues are, what legendary is about, what battle master means, etc.

Maybe you could communicate this in a more inspiring / engaging way?

I rack up loads of gold playing unranked but pretty much have nothing to do with the gold other than buy tokens now and again.

I'd play ranked maybe if I received shards. I just use Poxbox to get specific runes.

8. Firk

Firk I need me some PIE!

Back when you could buy 150k lims for gold or Ctharia for 400k gold that was cool. I really wish there was a smal chance to get a tradable lim like the 150k's say 0.01% chance to drop then i would deff play more

edit: not the actual 150k's but a new reskin. I for one think you should reward players for playing much(keeping the game active)

9. TeaNinja

You can get the previous 150k for just 800 shards. Only difference from the originals is rarity.

10. TeaNinja

You can buy boxes with gold. And you do recieve shards for playing ranked sometimes when advancing to a new league.

11. Fentum

Thanks. I do buy the mega boxes with each expansion but I believe that I end up using cash for those as you can't use gold. The sharding / forging system is so tedious that I don't buy other boxes, I just use cash on poxbox to get specific runes.

12. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

The best incentive for people to play ranked is a decently sized pool of people to play against and nothing else. The rewards are already there and are good enough but ultimately what puts a halt and demotivates people is how the amount of people within even ground are not available to play against, and it clearly shows when they can't even get training games going (should probably change that daily so any sort of match triggers it).

Should probably halt the increase of gold based rewards as well until the pack changes come through, and if necessary resort to events with rewards based on x number of games played like it has been done before.

13. Fentum

I get plenty of matches unranked. Is that ok? Or are we trying to get ranked guys?

14. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

What is the reward for being promoted from battlemaster to battlemaster?

Asking for a friend

15. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

Your virginity is protected.

16. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I wouldn't mind a reward after Battlemaster (even a small one) for every X (250-500?) exp you gain. Just add a bar that fills up as you play.

The current rewards are amazing for the first couple months of a new ranked cycle but once you hit Battlemaster there is little reason to keep going. Thats all good and fine if once you hit BM there is only a month or so until the reset because the BMs are fighting for rank at that point. Using this cycle as an example (I know its outside the norm because of the wait for client/ps4) I hit BM like 2-3 months ago and now its just a waiting game.

17. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

you should get the same reward for winning or losing in ranked.

18. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

Although I think the reward could be better.

i don't know the exact values but 1/ 30th or 1/100th of box is not enough to change the farmers mind, they can put earn that in sp where they can complete a match in less then a few minutes.

They also win single player where ranked they simply never will

19. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Imo ranked play needs more insentive for players, not in the way of gold/shards/tokens or runes but something else like a bigger purpose.. I would love to see a map like spacewars is trying to implement with factions battling over territory, that would make players build decks to beat specific factions to gain territory (would impact on meta too)

bambino likes this.
  20. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

yea,, I dont think its the actual rewards,,
    its more about having an impact on the actual game,,,
    I have plenty runes,,,over 150k gold, about 5k in shards,,, and tons of shard fodder,,
    so the gold means little to me,,, I enjoy the game,,,, yet I have little will to attempt to reach BM (not saying I can/cant).. yet if I knew I was contributing to a larger goal,, id be more inclined to play rank....
    I cannot say why,, its just how I feel...
    yes yes. we have drums of war, , which is like watching the hands of a clock...
    it wouldn't be bad if there was something more immediate.
    consider tourneys,,,the gratification is instant,,,, so u keep going back..
    I would be more interested in that then rank,,,, regardless of prize..