Phylactery Bound vs Rebirth

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rokkushun, May 25, 2015.

1. Rokkushun

Rokkushun Devotee of the Blood Owl

Phylactery bound; 30 nora
    When this unit is deployed from the runedock, a Phylactery relic is spawned adjacent to it. If a Phylactery is in play when this unit dies, the nearest Phylactery relic is destroyed and this unit is reanimated in its place.

Pros;
    Full hp, currently higher than phoenix starting values (by 14, phoenix's total hp counting both lives is only 3 lower than EL)
    a relic that can guard a font sort-of? relic is summoned

Cons;
    Relic has 2 HP
    Random spawn position (could block paths)
    If the relic dies you wasted 30 nora.
    CD does not reset on first death.
    No bonus after reviving

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rebirth; 30 nora
    When this champion is destroyed, it drops no nora globe and is redeployed in the closest friendly deployment zone without this ability, but permanently has Initiative 2, +4 DMG and +25 MAX HP.

Pros;
    ALWAYS revive unless killed by defile corpse (maybe) defile corpse does not affect it (presently)
    Rune CD starts after the first death
    Bonus stats
    Comes in with AP

Cons;
    It costs 30 nora? I guess?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

possible solutions;
    Shave 5-10 nora off phylactery bound, or consolidate it into rebirth.
    Make it PB add stats on revive, range sounds lich-y
    Give the pot more hp, along with -5 nora discount

Really needs fixed;
    Make rebirth have the rune not cooldown until it dies AFTER rebirth activates.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  2. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

phylactery bound sucks, i wish they woulda made it cheaper instead of taking off hoarfrost. I think it is a cool ability but might be difficult to balance.

TheBulwark and avichaif like this.
  3. Rokkushun

I wish hoarfrost had it on upgrades tbh, it's an expensive ability that not everyone wants.

4. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

That's because it isn't costed properly. If it was it might be more useful.

TheBulwark likes this.
  5. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

The relic can't actually guard a font because it's a summon. On the flip side, you can grab the over-inflated nora globe from the first death and the second!

Phylactery Bound is ass. Even worse, Eternal Lich would be a mediocre champ as-is without it. That 2-6 RNG is apparently costing her through the teeth; 59 nora for 9 DMG, 6 SPD, and 39 HP.

claydude5 and Rokkushun like this.
  6. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Range 4-6, not 2-6. If it were 2-6 she would cost like +15 nora(wild guess).

7. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

Wait, so your saying a new rune is undercosted compared to a similar predecessor? I find that hard to believe.

8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Sorry, that was a typo, I do actually do research.

Mainly that E Lich is actually just a bad rune from multiple angles.

9. Rokkushun

If you don't have anything constructive to add to the conversation please refrain from posting.

10. claydude5

claydude5 The King of Potatoes

To be Fair, Rebirth Champions get a discount due to the low base stats as a whole, where hoarfrost lich and eternal lich have full hp and ass other stats.

11. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

No man, few runes have manual cost adjustments, thats not my point. What I mean is efficiency; compare Magearm with Silverclan Protector for example. This is why people bashed so much at Warogg too, by comparing him with Abomination... My favorite comparison was Flamehurler and Emerald Wing: both had the same stats(not anymore), but Emerald wing costed 84 nora and Flamehurler 66.

So, it's not about being under or overcosted, it's about the immediate advantages a rune brings to the field compared to others with similar roles/stats, and ability synergy is the biggest villain.

12. Xuvali

Xuvali Devotee of the Blood Owl

Defile Corpse doesn't work on rebirth, but then there are very few things it does work on.

mw24 likes this.
  13. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

stiched/nova....something else?

14. Moles

Moles Administrator Octopi

Defile corpse doesn't stop rebirth?

15. Xuvali

Xuvali Devotee of the Blood Owl

Yep. Confirmed testing both with units that have it by default and when giving via Sustain: Defile Corpse.

Also doesn't Stop Death Knight coming back as Lich Knight.

I would be happy to test any other death effects to identify what it doesn't work on if it is something that would be likely fixed.

16. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Spot on.

17. Rokkushun

Edited OP with changes.

18. TheBulwark

TheBulwark I need me some PIE!

I think its a boy

19. Rokkushun

20. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

Phylactery looks O.K. not stellar when comparing it with rider champs. However rider champs pretty much suck right now since most rider abilities are in the 40-50 nora range meaning the champ is butt.

In all reality Phylactery bound could stand to be shaved but the champ itself will still be butt unless it's significant.
    Eternal lich basically needs its ability to mesh better for the cost you're paying upfront with the added risk of it NOT spawning which is much more likely then lich born at 35 nora and rebirth.

Giving him Soulshift would make him at least backloaded efficient fixing him more into a tempo play which fits the play style.

This does bring up things like Aspiring Servant which is 30 nora and even MORE conditional then phylactery bound since it relies on another unique champ to be in play.

Very overcost but probably as a means to keep them very far from being too efficient.

Dark knight took a big hit as well and is sadly in the same spot.

Again you could either address the abilities or just the design which I think is the main crux.