Planned Parenthood

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DarkJello, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Sure, to an extent. But they also reportedly have quotas on getting prospective parents to have abortions. For those that are pregnant, there's a much greater push towards having them get an abortion than to look at other options.

The preventative care/education/contraceptive stuff also still plays into the founding eugenicist ideals, though in my opinion that aspect of it is mostly fine (so long as it doesn't move onto removing choice). I'm not saying that PP is some sort of wholly evil organization, and I'm reasonably certain that a lot of the people involved, especially at the lower levels, are honestly trying their best to help women (and maybe even families) make the best decision (at least from their own perspective). I do think that the (now 4) videos released are rather damning of PP, and that it's founder was a racist and generally unpleasant woman.

I also don't think it should receive federal funding, even not considering the current controversies surrounding it, but that topic has already been covered.

Indeed, it's not as if that "solution" doesn't also have it's problems. There are of course nuances involved in that as well (how fit the father is to be a parent, why the father had not previously contested the adoption procedure but does now, etc.), and I wouldn't be surprised if some reforms weren't needed in that regard, among other issues.

DarkJello likes this.
  2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It's just curious how birth control is such a controversial issue in Congress, but ***** pumps being covered by Medicare is just a normal fact of life.

BurnPyro likes this.
  3. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

@Sokolov PP only exists to induce abortions.

All other services are performed by literally 1000s of family practice clinics, including billions spent annually on "commie" clinics. I work in one of those clinics, FYI.

My wife and I adopted 2 kids earlier this year, and adoption laws vary WIDELY from state to state. Both birth parents signed off, so we are safe from that kinda fiasco. Process is lengthy.

4. Sokolov

Not PP, but Colorado has had recent successes with that stuff:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/06/s...-pregnancies-is-a-startling-success.html?_r=0

And stuff that should absolutely be investigated. But the push in Congress to immediately defund something without investigation is patently ridiculous.

5. Sokolov

This is why I don't reply to you.

BurnPyro likes this.
  6. DarkJello

Talk in Congress is just that, talk. Depending on the district, peeps on each side want some "good" sound bites. Many, again on each side, are firmly entrenched. They don't want/need any more proof.

The vids are daRning, IMO. PP is under protection of powerful judges and such. Oligarchy for justice. Or whatevs.

7. Sokolov

I am remembering this story:
    http://www.radiolab.org/story/295210-adoptive-couple-v-baby-girl/

Very good story, I recommend a listen, but if you don't want to listen to an hour+ long podcast, the article below does have a summary.

Which eventually went to the supreme court:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...07be1c-1caf-11e3-8685-5021e0c41964_story.html

In this case, the problem is very specific to a law most people don't know about: Indian Child Welfare Act - which, while well-intentioned, has far reaching consequences.

8. DarkJello

You are ignoring the literally 1000s of clinics that already provide every single PP service, except abortion, to make your point. Mentioning this fact again, for all to see. I work at an FQHC in rural northwest. This topic is firmly in my element. Maybe u should stick to games, instead of ignoring the facts.

9. Sokolov

Really, why do you have to be like this?

~

Um.... the fact that other clinics do what non-abortion things PP does is evidence that PP does more than abortions.

So glad to see you are no longer ignoring the facts!

~

I am not ignoring anything. All I was saying is that: one, those things have positive effects, and two, PP does some of those things.

I never said PP alone does or that they should even do them - heck, I even linked a story to Colorado doing the things I mentioned - NOT DONE BY PP.

You are so entrenched into your views that you read everything as a challenge instead of reading what people are actually saying.

My point: Dislike abortions all you want, you are entitled to that, but don't ignore or misrepresent the facts.

~

Anyway, I do get what you are saying, in that removing PP doesn't mean removing those non-abortion services - and that's perfectly valid. I wasn't arguing against that, tho :)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  10. DarkJello

The only thing unique about PP is induced abortions. Therefore the purpose of PP's existence is to perform said induced abortions. Everything else is routine medical practice. Just like in many thousands of clinics. Those services are good and fine, but very redundant. How many opponents of PP are angry that someone got 250mg rocephin IM, Zithromax 1000mg po, a reminder to avoid unprotected intercourse flings, and some condoms for the road?? Everyone and their dog knows that the entire PP debate centers around abortions. Deny all you want, but that is the reality. I don't understand why someone of your intelligence is confused by this.

I don't receive any funding for the views I hold. But PP scores a pretty penny from we the people. 540.6 million in government grants in 2013.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/bar...od-got-5406-million-government-grants-fy-2013

11. Sokolov

Mostly because it's an illogical statement.

You can argue that PP, as a whole, does not offer anything beyond abortions that isn't covered elsewhere - this is perfectly valid.

You cannot argue that PP, as a whole, only offers abortion - this is patently false.

That's all. This isn't in support or against PP, it is simply the facts.

IMAGIRL likes this.
  12. DarkJello

(Emphasis mine).

The only thing unique about PP is induced abortions. Therefore the purpose of PP's existence is to perform said induced abortions. Everything else is routine medical practice. Just like in many thousands of clinics. Those services are good and fine, but very redundant. ...Everyone and their dog knows that the entire PP debate centers around abortions. Deny all you want, but that is the reality. I don't understand why someone of your intelligence is confused by this.

Who are you arguing with in red above?? Bizarre.

PP scores a pretty penny from we the people. 540.6 million in government grants in 2013.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/bar...od-got-5406-million-government-grants-fy-2013

13. Sokolov

I am just going to assume you are trolling at this point.

IMAGIRL likes this.
  14. Sokolov

Let's clarify my views on PP/Abortion in general:
    • I have no personal moral objection to abortions in general, tho I believe that pro-life advocates have good arguments as to the rights of an unborn child
    • I don't believe PP, or any entity for that matter, should be pushing for or against abortions in a given situation - that is up to the prospective parents and those they wish to involve
      • so if PP is, in fact, pushing for abortions over other choices, that is a serious problem
    • I don't believe that a federal entity specifically needs to provide abortions, but I believe that abortions should generally be safe and available for those who choose it
      • so long as said abortion is lawful
    • I believe PP does more than abortions, and any attempts to defund or remove PP should consider the implications thereof, rather than pretending they don't exist
      • for example, attempts to defund should consider diverting the funding/grants towards other clinics that offer similar services

BurnPyro likes this.
  15. DarkJello

Highly disappointing. Glad you clarified 19 minutes later, because this response is something. IMAGIRL's "like" is curious.

I essentially agree with all those points. Now I am convinced you are being serious. Most of my patients that discuss the option of abortion, end up keeping the baby. Infrequently, a mom or aunt will raise the child. Rarely adoption is pursued. Some do choose abortion. I encourage them to think deeply and quickly on the matter, as waiting too long increases the risk to the woman. Laws for each state are different, and some medical providers that perform abortions have stricter standards than the law of that particular state. I have consulted with some women that chose to have an induced abortion, but never mentioned it to me. That is their business.

16. Sokolov

Not sure what you expect by just copy and pasting the specific point I contend. Why should I continue to engage?

17. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

See, this is why I don't take you seriously.

And as dagda mentioned, you're someone with very set opinions who doesnt change his mind. Which makes debate futile. Especially since I disagree with most of them.

You're also incredibly agressive about everything that isn't a 'yes I totally agree with you'. You don't want a debate. You want people to adopt your extreme views and put down those who don't.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    darklord48 likes this.
  18. Molosse

Molosse I need me some PIE!

So for a non-Ameri lad who has little interest in domestic policies, what the hell is Planned Parenthood? From what I've got it's a Federal institution which supports abortion clinics, how far off am I here?

19. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Planned Parenthood is a non profit organization that has clinics across the US. Many of the clinics don't offer abortions, just family planning, STD testing, pregnancy screening, and other things related to sexual activity. Interestingly enough, Planned Parenthood in Minnesota is often picketed at the clinics that don't offer abortions.

There are also clinics that offer abortions, which is what gets the pro-life groups in an uproar. What they don't consider is that hospitals often perform more abortions than the clinics, although those abortions may be for different reasons.

Molosse likes this.
  20. Molosse

Molosse I need me some PIE!

'Preciated.

darklord48 likes this.