Pox Nora Revamp - Preview 1

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Gedden, Apr 15, 2014.

1. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

I love it, the new system is good, and I like that you can see the sprites of the champions.
    I have a concern with tortuns in particular, but it can apply to other runes aswell:
    The "tortun package" comes with amphibious, ponderous, turtle and tortun's trade 2 passive and 2 activated abilities, and it's hard to remove any of them, so even a "clean" tortun like battle mystic has 9 abilities, how will you manage it?
    Another concern: The abilities cost will be the same for all champions? or it will be a parameter used to balance aswell? (as in, shatter in icewisp is worth more than shatter on zeven, or sunder in griffin rider is worth more than in groundpounder)

2. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

HOW IS NOONE THANKING THEM FOR THE SPRITE ON THE RUNE MANAGER, ALL OF YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED!

Owls, thank you so much for that visual improvement!

My question: Will ugly sprites be adressed too? =P
    i remember a post somewhere asking which ones players didnt like.

Also:
    Will old abilities be upgraded? or updated? I mean champs like Draksar Shifter and his tranformations.

Will non champion runes be displaying their sprites on the rune manager too? Relics for example.

3. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

@Kampel beat you to mention sprites

Also, gedden, are you going to overbuff magnus? because you are hoarding them for sure.

Kampel likes this.
  4. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

I guess the mockup layout won't work with 7 abilities, do you have a plan to make the layout more scalable? And will there be a "hard limit" of abilities (defined by how many can be displayed) at all?

5. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

I'd be very interested to know this too. Abilities are not equal champion to champion ^^

6. only

only Active Member

different ability costs on different champions? that's good point. kinda supports my sentiment that it would punish new players even more...

7. Prami

Prami I need me some PIE!

Interesting. Seems like the best of what everyone wants. I wasn't around for the Nora cost adjusting abilities on champions, but it looks like it will bringgive a nice built in balance tool.

It's really refreshing to see something being done with the CP system, that doesn't feel like blatant exploitation.

Can't wait to hear more.

How many abilities will be available for each slot?

Please tell me that's not the final look for rune descriptions...

8. asherai

asherai New Member

So, does this mean things like SL having several 'race' themes will be addressed? as in not adding more races to it, since there is already dragon, draksar, skeez, myx, skywing, etc? like can we NOT spread around the champs runes as much as SOE did please.

9. Zenity

I thought I'd buy a Core box as a sign of appreciation for the post, and I got nothing but a Voodoo Shamfie.

Please buff Voodoo Shamfie.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
    SPiEkY, Woffleet, Authyrtyr and 4 others like this.
  10. Theoril

Theoril Member

Absolutely love the idea here. The fact that you can swap around abilities opens up more for strategic play and personal prefference. Instead of just META stuff. Keep it up guys!

11. only

only Active Member

it seems like I became a complete douchbag. first I insult woman, now I'm suspicious about this revamp while everyone is happy. perhaps pox going into different direction I expect... that's fine. a game needs its route it just might happen it's not mine...

12. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

This looks so good ^_^ I am loving that sprite as it will help new players recognize runes.
    Also Kudos for axing the number of abilities down to roughly 5 or lower!
    This will help people make faster decisions on the field of battle and hopefully kitchen sink abilities will go down the drain or be streamlined to be relevant and lean.

Lots of good stuff here. Also digging the new lvl star. It brings a balance to the card back/front and looks nicer then just plopping them on the top.

13. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

The UI looks really good. Reducing # of abilities is great, however, I am of the opinion that this actually is a more complex upgrade system. I think the goals of the revamp could and should be accomplished in the 4 choose 2 model (Only 6 possibilities, but 70+% of the time you only have to know 2 builds).

14. Zenity

Do you mean UI wise? Functionally, if I understand it correctly, it's essentially the same as it is now. You get to choose two out of four abilities, only that at 1 stars, both abilities are locked and at 2 stars, one of the abilities is locked.

As for the UI, I think this layout works well for the new system and should be more intuitive. I also really like that all abilities are displayed consistently rather than the two-tiered approach of the current rune details.

15. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

I agree with this post. I like the fact that the revamp is getting under way, but I'm hesitant to change this aspect of the upgrade system. There's also lots of problems with introducing more than 4 possible modular abilities to a rune and with going back to having changing nora costs. For one, new players will have to learn even more configurations--for all the runes in an already huge runepool. And the nora tag on abilities thing was pretty abusable in a lot of cases, way back when (example: early semi-aquatics).

I guess I'm just saying, drive slow homie

16. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Will all abilities have new different icons from each other?

17. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

I think it's more noob friendly in the sense that they don't even have to think about levelling at all until they're ready.

The extra costing sort of balances it out. There might be better abilities, but you are trading in efficiency. This means that balance is just tweaking the ability:nora ratio.

But that ratio isn't something a noob should be concerned with. Because so long as the ratio is balanced enough, their champion won't be less powerful just because they haven't chosen abilities for it.

I'm thinking of it as players dealing with the CP system when they're ready for it, but not suffering much if they don't do it for a while.

18. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

Oh I think I just misread it. It looks fine to me actually, I thought there were more than 2 configurable slots.

19. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Yeah, but hoping to tweak each champ individually according to its "ideal ability price" is utopic, I think. There are more than 2k runes in Pox.

DarkJello likes this.
  20. Theoril

Theoril Member

I like the change a lot tbh. I think it will help a lot of new players to have powerful level one champions. And having them GRADUALLY changing them over time will give them a sense of accomplishment as well as learning them the ropes rather well...

Revamp looking good so far!