Sup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheNidhogg, Sep 19, 2016.

1. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

What if that problem is exactly the kind of charm that makes Pox what it is? If games involve solving problems, then one could argue that Pox's ever-growing and highly complex pool of runes is itself one of the game's game-ified problems for all players to navigate.

SPiEkY likes this.
  2. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Fun Problem solving, Beating a challenging game.
    Not Fun problem, Fixing your car that broke-down on side of the road on the way to play said challenging game.

That's why i don't like horror movies, my real life is scary enough. ( responsibilities should be a top selling horror movie)

3. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

What?
    No they aren't, it's what keeps card games going. You should know that.
    Maybe a set rotation for Pox wouldnt work as is because you dont have an "original" set.
    For example: you could have a "basic" set made of core runes for all themes, so people wouldnt feel they cant play a theme cause it lacks detection.
    But, as a general principle, set rotations are healthy.

davre and newsbuff like this.
  4. Pedeguerra

5. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

great idea.

release a standard set of cards comprised of staple cards from each theme/faction. just like MTG - call it First Edition. Then rotate on top of this!

6. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

7. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Ballballer likes this.
  8. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

3 clearly delineated points broken down into numbered and bulleted lists is impenetrable eh?

Maybe you should spend more time reading and less time on your animes.

e: heck, I even have a differently coloured tl/dr right smack dab in the middle of the post.

9. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

it's over 1,000 words. It's way too long. And no images.

10. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

It's a very interesting idea. I can't entirely picture how it would work in practice as I stopped playing HS before that was implemented, but I can see at least that people would learn Pox like many of us did: an expansion(or a few) at a time, instead of everything at once. People have been(and probably will continue) posting the possible cons so I'll refrain from doing it.

11. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Pox can't do set rotations as none of the expansions were all one theme or another. The only way this could be done was if they took every theme, put all the rune in said theme in a rotation cycles let's say 1 for example and went from there.

Skellys cycle 1
    Liches cycle 2
    Zombies cycle 3

However this isn't hearthstone and you'd have to consider spells, relics, and equipment. Also set rotations in pox would limit bg diversity, which is one of the few things pox has going for it.

I mean you'd get the die hards playing, but I sure as Bane Shift don't wanna see an allotted amount of time set to a cycle of voil.

Also please stop comparing hearthstone to poxnora.... Other than it involving cards their are no similarities between the two at all. I'd also really like to believe we have a better community than that heap of garbage, never seen such a simple random game with terrible kid card art in my life.

Tundra barbarian

Versus

Sir Finley

Masochism (.)(.)

Versus

Arcane missle

Think about it before we compare the two ever ever again.....

12. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I don't think the act of comparison is a bad thing. If you have an issue with the nature of the comparison being drawn, then by all means, bring it up and explain your point. But saying "this object is good, and that object is bad, so don't talk about them at the same time" seems destructive to conversation. Now, if you are trying to say that "We shouldn't compare design decisions in Pox to design decisions in Hearthstone because the mechanical substance of those games differs heavily" then fine, but you should not only justify and qualify that position but also be careful about how you frame that argumentative act.

13. Pedeguerra

Yeah, nobody would like to play set rotations like that, I think.

You could have a core set following this general principle:

SP: Voils, Cyclops, Moga and Hyaenids are the "original" themes, so they would all get core runes for bgs. So you could select 15 "core runes" for Voils, 15 "core runes" for Cyclops and 15 "core runes" for Moga. Then, you have a core set for spells/relics/equips, with stuff like Alacrity and Throw Boulder (for example). The goal here would be NOT including x2 auto meta spells in this core set, because then all bgs would start looking too much alike.
    Then as you start releasing expansions or rotating stuff in and out, you start seeing a lot of diversity.
    So, for example, when the Voil Infernal expansion set is rotated in, the guy can play with the Infernals in his bg.

"But Pede, what if the 15 voil runes are crap or are lacking things like shatter"? Thats when new expansions come in. Also, you are not obligated to play anything.

Either way, it's just an idea, it doesnt have to be made in the same way as HS has, but come on. The amount of runes already in existence and bound to be released calls for something like this, unfortunately there is no way around it.
    As time passes and cards get relesed, the higher the entry barrier gets.

Baskitkase likes this.
  14. super71

Their really isn't an easy way to do it in pox though, this is kinda what I was hinting at a few expansions back when I said to sok why aren't their more theme centric expansions.

15. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

If set rotations were to happen, this would almost certainly have to be the way to do it. Build a "core" set that is actually core and provides the basis for every theme.

It's not an easy task, as themes aren't just races - there are damage theme, mechanic themes, class themes, etc. There are developing themes that would be disadvantaged (though of course the core set could change in the future).

16. Sokolov

There were a lot, actually - the majority of expansions since Maljaran do tend to heavily feature one theme or another for specific factions

Maljaran Frontier - Malj themes
    Heroes of Maljaran - Malj themes
    Maljaran War - Malj themes
    Heroes' Dawn - Malj themes
    Heritage - Non-Theme Centric
    Wild Alliance - Snaptooth, Strig, Myx, Imps, Trees, Hyaenid
    Crusade of the Vashal - Vashal, Skywings, Jellies, Ferren, Grintmaw, Goblins, Slags
    Endless Wonder - Construct, Hyaenid/Djinn, Semi-Aquatic, Wizard (this was Chained Fae expansion), Crystals, Spiders (3?)
    Broken Shard - Minotaur, Voil, Yeti, Wings (Almara), Boghopper, Fae, Mutant
    Plague of Ba'lah - Skeezick, Slag/Cyclops, Frost, Paladin, Skeleton

This next few is a bit more mish-mashy, which makes sense, since this the period where I left SOE (and they cobbled together Bonds of War), and DOG took over and released The Ronin, then I came back and finished up Coalitions, and we began a new story arc with Path of De'lim.

Bonds of War - NKD, Draksar? (3), mostly mishmash otherwise
    The Ronin - Firk, Cyclops, mostly mishmash otherwise
    Coalitions - Non-theme centric
    Path of De'lim - Non-theme centric, tho Salaman (not many new runes, per se, but this was the expansion that reworked them) and Ferren (same with Salaman) got development design side. Also, Maljaran runes
    Visions of Amareth - Non-theme centric (though many themes got 2 runes each)
    Spirits Beyond - Arroyo (Spirit/Elemental), Monks, Naria (Plants/Vampyres), Valdaci
    Planar Disturbances - Non-theme centric Extends previous themes, gives other themes some stuff

And so on.

Now, it kind of depends on how much SPECIFIC theme development you need to consider an expansion "theme centric" but expansion design typically follows the story, so it often does end up focusing on whatever themes are featured in the story for at least a few factions.

Also, at some point, people began to complain, stating that they were tired of expansions where they got nothing new for THEIR theme. So starting from around Endless Wonder, while some themes still got specific development for a faction, you were more likely to see at least a few runes for other themes in the expansion too to balance it out, and the Mid-term was almost always different than the EXO.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    Etherielin likes this.
  17. super71

Oh I know their are a couple because we talked about it before and you explained how people wanted more diversity, I just didn't feel like typing all that again.

18. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Man endless wonder was such a cool xpac, at least for kf. Well done sokobro.

Edit: not saying it wasn't cool for other expansions, just that I focused on KF and wasn't too aware of how it was for the other factions.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    Etherielin likes this.
  19. Sokolov

I was really happy with that expansion also :)