The FW bonus is a lie

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yobanchi, May 27, 2016.

1. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

Haha was that you? If so props because NFA pretty much sums it up.

The only thing I'll contest regarding the 30% note is that yes passive champs in UD is a thing but that's inverse. In other words I'd think there definitely was an issue with the UD bonus if there were only %30 of there champs that actually had an attack.

mortal ix likes this.
  2. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Netherzen and yobanchi* don't generalise us all when most of us like the bonus

3. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

Here is an idea for the new bonus:

3/6 champion cooldown

Each champion in FF FW has 3 cooldown,and each champion in split 6(or 9 if split bonuses are getting nerfed)

Its flat,simple and effective.

Since it will be a buff,a number of crutches should be nerfed.

The bonus will be simplified and allow all champions to use it equally,regardless of their nora cost.

4. IronStylus

IronStylus I need me some PIE!

I've got a simple idea: make a bonus give 30/60% of nora per nora globe. It will help spam more zombies, and fits thematically. the cd can stay as it is or be reduced a bit to 25/50%

5. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

In case anyone needed examples of what delusion looks like, here you go.

'Simple' ideas and one also deemed 'effective'. Come on guys it's not like you're even trying. If you are going to make suggestions at the very least allocate yourself in the current context and how the faction as we know it plays out. One is like 'yeah we just need to revamp the entire faction to make things work' (flat CDR regardless of cost would result in far more changes than you think) and the other... no comment.

That's not to say I've got answers of my own or advocate for change to begin with, but at least be reasonable if you intend to.

Edit: I for one think that different playstyles should be pursued through themes and not fundamental changes, at least at this point in which we are at. The current bonus supports the style the faction is known for, whether it could be more spread and not tied to a group of specific champions is something else entirely. If you seek anything other than that you might as well play another faction.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    BurnPyro and themacca like this.
  6. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

don't you think there is too much diversity within each faction now for a single bonus to make sense? just as an outside observer it seems removing all bonuses or moving them to the theme level makes more sense.

super71 likes this.
  7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

[​IMG]

8. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

There is so much that contributes to whether a faction is good.

The font bonus is a big thing, when I'm thinking about splitting with FW I don't really consider the faction bonus, I think about how I can get the DMZ.

Which is why the ST bonus annoys me - they get a great font and faction bonus.

super71 likes this.
  9. Ragic

so you think removing the bonuses would encourage split decks (or at least not encourage full faction decks). I always thought it was the free stats from split faction bonuses that encouraged some splits. you could argue synergy but every faction has everything now, is it really synergy driving splits or just a few broken combos here and there?

10. Ragic

well there was a time at least when that was exactly why splits were good, the extra hps of skeleton summons in FW/ST (back in CorpsE days) or the +1 spd from KF splits (back before that even). but ill have to take your word for it on how it works currently. as to the incentive for ff play, maybe coming from a faction with a useless bonus clouds my vision but surely theme synergy, heroes and banner are plenty reason enough.

11. Ragic

I guess it makes sense that with the powercreep of champs the potential for ability combo's outweighs faction bonuses and therefor the more champs you have to choose from the better. which would seem to support that removing faction bonuses wont hurt split decks. but does it really push people off of full faction? I guess that all depends on if you believe champs are designed with the bonus in mind. assuming that's true, which faction would be hurt the most by removing bonuses and which faction would be hurt the least?

its almost like youre saying that the purpose of faction bonuses is NOT to make ff viable but rather to make split decks less so (since you lose some bonus to form the split). you could achieve the same thing by simply moving the current faction bonuses to the theme level where appropriate and impose some other penalty on splits.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  12. yobanchi

I seriously like the idea of getting rid of all faction bonuses and instead having it based on consistency vs rune pool.

For example:
    Split bonus would simply be that you have a larger runepool to choose from including combos-etc. This is natural.
    Full faction bonus would be like +2 bonus rune reveals at the start of the game or something whatever. This would balance out the expanded rune pool of the split by making the full faction bonus be consistency.

I thought people pretty much liked at least the idea of getting rid of the bonuses but I think what did it in was KF's super powerful crutching.

Woffleet likes this.
  13. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

getting serkan back in 7 turns is good. getting broken bones back in two turns is good.

14. Ragic

a point that is never made about the cooldown bonus. what if after 7 turns you don't have the nora to redeploy serkan? or you need some other champ or spell on that turn. Did the 7 turn cooldown help you that game? so there is a loss of efficiency with a cooldown bonus that is hard to quantify. I guess you could make a similar argument that hps and dmg aren't needed for a champ that is never involved in combat. but in the former youre arguing about the bonus being useful for only a select few champs and in the later youre arguing that the bonus is not useful for a select few champs.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  15. yobanchi

It's deceptive.

The point isn't that you get X champion back faster.

The point is that it doesn't matter if you get X champion faster if you have a plethora of other options already available.

It's like this:
    There are 5 tubs of ice cream. After you eat one tub it will normally take 1hr to refresh 1 tub back up with ice cream.
    You are unable to eat all 5 tubs of ice cream within an hour due to brain freeze.

Now the FW bonus is that it now only takes only 30min to refresh that 1 tub of ice cream instead of the full 1hr.

yeah....ok...we can go on an on how you really really like triple fudgeberry better then chocolate brownie chunk but the fact still stands that you can't eat enough for that bonus to matter cause you got more ice cream then you can handle.

Unless your fat in which case your fat.

Netherzen likes this.
  16. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

Because champ roles and the champs themselves dont matter. Brilliant

BurnPyro and themacca like this.
  17. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Regardless of the efficacy of the bonus, it should be changed simply because it doesn't feel like a bonus, isn't fun, and could never be observed by any players but the most veteran and hardcore. It also seems super weird to balance around.

SP should get 12% nora refund for summoning and FW should get 12% refund for unit death. This is thematic, simple, balanced, and congruous with other in-game bonuses.

18. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

yeah seriously guys. Wake up and smell the roses

19. yobanchi

yes exactly...Champs don't matter

20. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

Indeed. Now about these tubs of ice cream...