Theme Adjustments #1 - Wings and Hyaenids

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Strings

Strings Devotee of the Blood Owl

This is just a poor Call to Arms, though?

2. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

Depends on the values you use. It's certainly true for a 2 Nora cost reduction.
    Alternatively, as mentioned before, instead of a cost reduction, it could be +HP, or +DMG.

@chickenpox2 : It would be to the Champion with the Serf to the Djinn ability.

3. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Difference would be that basically all the nids would have CtA instead of just a single champ.

4. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Ugh, what? So you want SP champs be even cheaper? Yeah, I dont like it.

5. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

@Pedeguerra: And the other iterations?, like

Serf to the Djinn (0 AP, CD 2) -- The next Djinn you deploy this turn gains +1 damage for each dogpiled Champion within 5 spaces.
    Serf to the Djinn (0 AP, CD 2) -- The next Djinn you deploy this turn gains +2 HP for each dogpiled Champion within 5 spaces.

6. ProR2D2

ProR2D2 I need me some PIE!

I like the future goals, it makes them more fun and diverse. Yet again, trying to make fun runes even more fun while we have runes and themes that are extremely stale and boring and are being ignored, this isn't prioritizing correctly. I would spend more time in fixing boosts and creating new theme synergies for those themes that depend solely on boosts right now.

7. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

Wings are pretty stale and boring right now.

8. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

This is pretty cool, although I feel this "gains X for every champ within Y spaces" is way too complicated for new players.

9. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

Would it suffice to remove the "within Y spaces" clause? In most games, I would assume, that shouldn't make any difference anyway.

10. ProR2D2

If you suc k at the game, everything is stale and boring. Learn how to activate their sigils doubtofnoobha.

11. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Never said I like the idea. Just clarifying the point for Strings

12. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

I am impressed by the rigor and power of your logic.

13. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Despite this being written with his face, i have some sympathy with this view

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  14. ProR2D2

Thanks. At least I use logic, and don't post statements without a single argument to support it, and then tell others to believe me.

15. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

how long till we start the next one?

16. Nautilak

Nautilak Devotee of the Blood Owl

I'd like to start by making a request/suggestion: When doing these theme reviews is it possible to have public decks created (even for a limited time) that allow us to test and play these themes? I feel like that would allow us all the chance to give them a try.

Wings:
    I love the wings and they are actually one of my favorite themes. My main issue is that they seem to have a little clash with their Sigil abilities. I feel like Emerald, Obsidian, Cerulean, and Amber all seem melee focused but all the wings aren't melee ranged. Also, I don't like how abilities like the magical aura work out when they have to be so close together for the abilities to trigger.

I'd like to suggest that they be given running start and be made into melee units with ranged abilities such as Chain Lightning, Flame Strike, Magic Nova, etc. I like the idea of them being a mid-ranged theme and I think thematically that represents the Griffin and the Rider both being able to attack. I also think running start is thematic as well as a balance to prevent their flight from being overpowering on certain maps.

Also, as a future look, would it be too much of a stretch design wise/theme wise to have the sigils be something that can be placed, like a terrain?

I know they currently trigger off deploys but when I think of sigils I think of marks or runes on the ground that have magic properties/have abilities in an area. Just something I like flavor wise and is probably too off the wall.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    jayscales1 and Thbigchief like this.
  17. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

In the lore, Hyaenids are sort of outcasts and the Voils do not like them.
    They was left alone and started to starve since they had problems gathering food. (Which later The Exile helped them with.)
    Lorewise, it would make sense that the Hyaenid like the Djinn for helping them gather food.
    So instead of Djinns dealing extra damage to Dogpiled champions, maybe they grant extra HP to Hyaenids for it?

Leadrz likes this.
  18. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

I intend to post a suggestion for wings sometime within this following day. (This post is moreso intended as a "pls don't close the discussion too soon" request.)

soulmilk likes this.
  19. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

Nice on the Judgment route the devs are taking. I have been crusading on that needed keyword in a Nid BG. Though he doesnt see play because many are more efficient. I'd say keep his role and focus on it:
    - Execute (-4 nora)
    - 1 MAXRNG (-3 nora)
    - 2 DMG (-3 nora)

With his stats toned down, but keeping his spd (11 max AP), he will be much more focused on what he's supposed to do as a Legendary rune: offer a new playstyle (judgment bomb). At sub 75ish nora, his non-survivability kit is rightly costed imo

About a year ago I requested that Djinns should have a 'judgment-oriented' hit to benefit from all the Nids instead of boring Surge: Nids. Glad we are also on the same boat.

However, the problem stayed the same: TOO MANY racial abilities. If you're gonna add a 'judgment strike' thats gonna even add more racial defaults. I also originally requested both of their abilities to be consolidated into 3 abilities, two for Nids, one for Djinns.

(1) Serf to the Djinn (When this champion is within 5 spaces of a friendly Djinn, it gets +1 max RNG, +1 SPD, and +5HP)

(2) XXXX (This champion has Cackle and Dogpile)

(3) Master of Nids: X (When this champion is within 5 spaces of a friendly Hyaenid, it gains X, and Judgment Strike)

X in this case refers to Sustain abilities:

E.g, Ifrit could grant Berserker 3, Dew could grant Unstoppable, Marid could grant Teleport 3, Dao could grant Fascinate (also to trigger Hold the Line)

This way its not gonna hurt your positioning, while also beneficial to deploy both Djinns and Nids

narvoxx, Etherielin and Sokolov like this.
  20. Strings

Strings Devotee of the Blood Owl

Dogpiled Revelry: (Djinn ability) (+1 AP, CD 2) This Champion makes a Basic attack at its range and the attacked Champion loses all conditions of Dogpile, takes 1 psychic damage for each condition lost and friendly Nids in AoE 4 use Cackle (this does not consume AP, and does not affect the CD of any abilities).

Serf to the Djinn: if there is a friendly Champion with race: Djinn within AoE 4, this Champion applies any Dogpile condition twice. As long as there is a Djinn within AoE 4 of this Champion, it deals an extra 1 psychic damage to Champions for each Dogpile condition they have.