Tundra Reformation

Discussion in 'Savage Tundra' started by KingJad, May 22, 2015.

1. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

NM.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Wut.

3. Pedeguerra

Also, to your snarky comment on what "themes" Glaive enable, Sok, the answer is none. After Tailwind was taken off of it, he would probably just be a meta rune and be forgotten in the flying theme, which is non existant atm.
    People just put Glaive in there because they feel the got shafted on this patch cause the buffs were terrible. Id rather see themes get to light rather than Glaive, but as long as we are talking about buffs, might as well talk about him.

On Glaive Bounce, my bad.

4. Sokolov

It's not a snarky comment. I wanted to know how to approach a redesign. I don't understand why you insist on being so hostile whenever I discuss anything.

My god, and you wonder why you get on my nerves.

For example, if we want it to be meta, we build it one way. And that's fine. But if it want it to help enable a flying theme, it might, for example, warrant Tailwind somewhere on the upgrades or other considerations.

5. Sokolov

This is a tough one, because there are very few abilities that work with flying in general (and since Flight adds a bunch of nora, it's generally a theme that is going to be less efficient.

Additionally, a lot of Frostwings have a similar build/idea where they are anti-ranged units, and the Glaive is another one, so perhaps we move away from that with him so there's some diversity.

6. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

Tailwind18 Nora

Other friendly units with Flying that do not have Tailwind gain 1 AP for every 4 spaces this champion moves in a single turn.
    pls don't'

I enjoy the fact that it doesn't have a cooldown personally dunno how others feel about it. Glaive bounce being linked to his range is fine as long as he has decent range. I also enjoyed the old keeneye shenanigans with range 6 glaive bounce pre-revamp.

blazinsoul likes this.
  7. Pedeguerra

Ah, ok. Good, apologies then.
    But yeah, his primary role was Tailwinding stuff, but Im 100% sure if you re-release with that the buff wont last a week.
    Flying as a theme is dead because the units cost so much, theres no easy way to approach it unless mass nora discounts are given.
    Point is: you can design it so it helps flying, but since flying is dead it will be either fit enough for meta or wont be played.
    Also, Frostwing have anti-ranged build, yes, but most of them are rotting in the shoebox, so I dont get the correlation.

8. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

To be fair, I didn't take it well too. It sounded like "you want themes touched but here are you talking about glaive".

9. Sokolov

The point is that we agree. Flying theme isn't a thing and one champ change isn't going to do it. But it could be a step in that direction if we so desire

10. Sokolov

I mean, doesn't it seem like a logical question given the context of the conversation?

KingJad likes this.
  11. KingJad

I could see that but what were you thinking? The first thing that came to mind was making him anti-flying but give him windstriker and he'll be nerfed pretty quickly in combination with glaive bounce.

blazinsoul likes this.
  12. Sokolov

Personally, I think it's fine if it's a meta buff. There are plenty of themes to play around with in ST. If at some point Flying theme becomes a thing (and I think it needs more than shoebox buffs to do it), then Glaive will just slide in there probably, especially if we put in a couple of racial/theme upgrade options.

13. Pedeguerra

Good, so take the step if you will, please.

14. Pedeguerra

Ok, good, I like where you are going with this.

15. KingJad

I'm still adamant about the no meta champs thing; he'd be a worthy include in rangers but atm he is just uninteresting to run. I don't really like the idea of caving in for nostalgia.

16. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

Thing is there is no current theme that would be ran for him to fit in, so I'd imagine either the change would need to wait until a flying theme revision or you'd have to make it a good stuff champ that might or might not benefit from several things (most likely yes).

Edit: Also yes the current state of Froswings is pretty bad. Borderguards are somewhat runnable if Juya's around from what I have tried, but the rest are kinda lackluster. The new one that was released reminds me more or less of Wingmaster, looks fine on paper but I'm not sure if I'd bother running it.

17. KingJad

If he was designed to just fill a meta role what's the idea here? Are we taking pede's manual modifier route with range 1-4? @Sokolov

18. KingJad

The new frostwing is fairly decent, Just a really boring design and the hunter abilities are to expensive in comparison to blitz to consider choosing them. Bravery could definitely be a theme defining ability here that does in a way force synergy.

I could come up with a redesign for all the frostwings here to form a theme with the 5 champs that are currently involved but it'd be pointless unless they were all changed in the same patch(borderguard, juya, frostwing hunter, glaive, frostwing). A thematic ability that encompassed bravery and declare hunted would be the goal.

19. Sokolov

I am thinking Commander: Ranger (keep in mind the functionality of this ability, and cost, will change with a patch at some point) and/or Surge: Ranger as part of the upgrades somewhere. Possibly Aerial Supremacy.

Glaive Bounce will be RNG 1-4 (with a CD and decreased cost), so that he doesn't have to pay for RNG, but could still be 1-2 possibly. 1-4 is pretty EXTREMELY expensive on its own. The other option is making it passive, working off basic attacks and having him pay for RNG all the way. Both are interesting, with the latter being stronger (and therefore costs more), of course.

Bravery kind of works, but has a couple problems.. one is that it is race-based so it puts him into a Jakei build. We could possibly have Bravery weork off Race OR Class. The other problem is that it is really cheap (which in of itself isn't a problem, but it does mean the price of a champion varies a great deal depending on if the upgrade is chosen). Of course, it could be on base too.

20. Pedeguerra

Damage output is easily solved on this unit as long as Declare: Hunted is base, dont worry about Bravery that much.
    Glaive Bounce being 1-4 would help a ton even if the unit stays 1-1.
    Either way, now you have my attention.