What are the mechanics people like?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Over the years of playing and working on Pox, it's safe to say nearly every mechanic has been considered "bad" by players at one point or another:
    • global damage
    • healing
    • AEs
    • Relocates
    • CC
    • HP stacking
    • DEF stacking
    • DMG stacking
    • AP gen
    • AP storage
    • SPD
    • AP denial
    • and so on
    So, this is a thread to discuss what mechanics people actually think are healthy for Pox and can be safely proliferated? What mechanics should not be in the game and be phased out?

2. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

I think basic attacks can be safely profilerated for sure.

3. Sokolov

But not if they are long range? Too many melee is boring tho.

4. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

Mechanics I love
    -debuffs that remove upgrades(Confuse, Crown of Petals, Void Touch,)
    -abilities that transform insignificant champions into a stronger version(K'thun- Gift of Ironwood, Spawnpool Guardian-Swamp Teachings, Aspect of Growth-Grow)
    -spells and abilities that are hilarious and fun to use (Whispers of the Mind, Vertical Push, Sacrificial Altar effect, Reckless summoning, False Orders, Cackle, Antagonize, Terrorize, ferocious bite, poxtoberfest dwarven beermaiden carouse)
    -power up abilities (aim, hunter's blind, duel,)
    -runes that grant random buffs(the doctor, Giving tree)
    -runes that have random summons( Mika Feshcaller, Looking for Work, )

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    Kampel and Joker like this.
  5. Sokolov

So a lot of the stuff that's... strictly speaking, not good, haha (not making fun of you, but I've had a hard time making a lot of thsoe playable, because the meta gravitates towards certain types of effects which are more effective in more scenarios).

6. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

I like interesting abilities that are random as it builds anticipation. There are 3 doors and I want whats behind door number 1 but I may not get that because the effect is random. When I buff a champ with The Doctor I want speed most of the time, but I usually get armor or dmg. The fun is in adapting to whatever random buff I get from The Doctor and using it to my advantage. The same goes for Mika Feshcaller. When I summon a fesh I always want parasitic fesh, but if I get Crested Fesh I need to adapt that to my strategy. Looking for Work is another random SP spell. I want to summon moga zealot for its massive dmg and initiative but I may get slinger, or trapper instead. The fun is not knowing whether I might get the shiny option I want or one of the other less desirable options. You should probably get the feedback of some win hungry meta junky I just like to have fun.

7. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Some of each is nice, stacking it can become idiotic.

8. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

i like:
    direct shrine damage
    loss of life in any form
    healing counters
    rune concealment

these forms are healthy for pox because it provides an opposition to super champs, invulnerability, heal spamming, and can shorten game lenths.

i also like:
    having multiple ways to generate nora.

Having multiple ways to generate nora is cool because it can provide: a cushion for a bad turn, a way to create comebacks when the font game odds are against you, makes setting up multiple power turns easier.

9. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

I can't really think of many things i don't like seeing in pox. i will say AP denial is the most cancerous Bane Shift that i'd like to see as little as possible of. (Note that i don't mean stuff like punish or energy thief, more like the old ability whose name i can't remember that would prevent AP generation on equipped champs)

10. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

I like attrition because FW is cancer ^_^

11. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

I like damage eaters(like electricity eater).A really cool way to enable healing.

12. Iskandak

Iskandak The King of Potatoes

Living vines. Truly one of the worst spells (when its against you) but the mechanic and thought behind it is awesome. Only thing missing is a better animation for it.

13. damnfoolishyeti

damnfoolishyeti I need me some PIE!

Not really relevant but I wish tanks were more prevalent in the game. Swamp crushguard( w.e. the rune is) is a prime example of what I wanted to see more. A bad and annoying ratio I'de like to say is that 80% of the tanks are just chunky( lots of health and 2x2). That's plain and doesn't help serve the function. Binding chains is the perfect example of what I tank ability should be.

TLDR; More CC

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    IronStylus, Morfeas and poinl like this.
  14. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

The ones that win me more games than I lose with it

Dagda likes this.
  15. Capitulator

Capitulator I need me some PIE!

1. I like mechanics that reward you for anticipating the opponent, e.g.
    - Righteous Deflection. Confusion is fun, Backfire is not. Nora Shield and Blood of the Swamp are fun (buff pls).
    - Block 1 is good, Block 2 is bad.
    - Horrific Aura is good, Charm not as much fun.

2. I like abilities that can be applied to friendly or opposing units, e.g. Judgement, Invigorate
    I wish more targetted abilities would do this, like Heal opponents, maybe Knockback friendlies.

3. I like cleanse with drawbacks or conditions, e.g. Judgement, Cleansing Flames, Cleansing Mist

4. I like power-ups you can see coming and choose to counter, e.g. Intensify, Quest:X, and the charges mechanic.

poinl likes this.
  16. Burcho

Burcho I need me some PIE!

Abilities that are good when you are on the losing side?

equilize, impassioned, encraoched

17. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

18. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I like buffing my units up. Not superchamping, but actually making it seem like the champion is more than just fodder.

19. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

I believe Pox it's too vulnerable to frustration.

When an experienced player sees an Arrow Eater champ, he immediately starts playing against it with a lot of background knowledge. He knows exactly how much CC he has on his BG, he knows every other mechanic to deal damage other than plain attacking units, and also he knows how to position his units to receive the less direct impact.

When a casual player sees Arrow Eater, he thinks only melee and damaging spells can deal with it, and if he has deployed 3 ranges and 1 melee, and the latter is in another area of the map, he will start to panic. He will look for a solution on spells and relics, and realize he has none to instantly deal with this massive unit. As soon as he loses one or two units because of this "unkillable monster" he will become frustrated and believe this ability is too much.

The same could be said about any other ability that has huge impacts on your opponent playstyle, which if you don't know how to deal with your current BG, it can lead to frustration really fast.

So I wouldn't focus on which mechanic is OK on players perspective, but how the average community learns to deal with it. Sure, there would be the mosts and the leasts, but I'm sure you will find lovers for any mechanic you can imagine for Pox.

You need to make a decision here Sok, do you want to design to please average players or do you want them to becomes experienced players? Of course the game needs both of them, but designing for both will cause imbalances and boring mechanics for the latter players.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    TeaScholar and poinl like this.
  20. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

I like all of these except Global effects.
    The only ability I really hate is FW. :D

doubtofbuddha likes this.