Why were tortuns nerfed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mw24, Jun 9, 2015.

1. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

I did not see anyone doing well with tortuns and I watched 2 of the best tortun players chris0024 and zorbot very closely as they were playing them.

I don't think anyone was even using tortun in the top 10, why was this theme nerfed? It has already been out of favor for a very long time, there are tens of bg's much much stronger and split faction tortuns weren't even any good prior to this nerf. I believe the nerfs were uncalled for and that tortuns should receive compensation.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  2. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

1. Just because no one is playing a rune/deck/theme in the top 10 doesn't mean that said rune/deck/theme is not in need of balance changes. Balancing purely via the upper echelons is not only favoritism but flawed logic as well.

2. All your talk about being such a good player ("Tiny asks me to play with him", "People consider me a good player and knowledgeable about the game") is all for naught if you can't understand why balance changes were made. In this case, Pillage was removed because of its broken interaction with friendly fonts, and Tortun Transporter was nerfed because being able to re-deploy champions with Initiative and reset cooldowns (not to mention his interaction with the aforementioned Pillage) was considered bad design. Not only that, but it had almost 70 HP and 5 DEF for under 50 nora, and that alone warrants some changes.

BurnPyro, Goyo and Ifem21 like this.
  3. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Pillage was OP, and they couldn't figure out a way to balance it so they got rid of it. Otherwise they were almost entirely unchanged.

4. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

Your first paragraph is not wrong but in the case of tortuns there are reasons why they did not need to be nerfed. Tortuns not being very effective against top tier bgs wasn't the only reason but tortuns performance against top tier bgs should be the most important factor when nerfing/buffing them.

All my talk about being a good player? I don't talk about my skill level much unless someone insults me or calls me bad or something. I have posted like 1000 times in the last few months... You are using 2 quotes out of like 2000 sentences. smh.

5. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

They should have fixed tortun trade before they did that at least. Makes no sense, tortuns were not causing an issue. There are several bgs that were way more powerful than tortuns before this patch and were not touched or even looked at.

6. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Please elaborate on these reasons.

7. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

Yeah about that...

Could you not?

This is a topic that has been discussed plenty of times, why not read the threads that address said issue?

8. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

tortuns nerfed before stitched. /facepalm

GG

9. Elves Rule

Elves Rule I need me some PIE!

They lost pillage. OH NO THE THEME IS RUINED!!!

Also the insanely OP transport is no longer insanely OP.

Unless you think that a 43 nora champ with 5 amour and a 1:1.5 nora:hp ratio which can enable stuff like being able to deploy a landmine every turn is balanced, they weren't really nerfed.

10. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

This guy plays tortuns, at that.

11. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Tortuns were nerfed because you were considering playing them, and @Sokolov didn't want you to trade everything into Poxbox further reducing your collection.

Aztech, Etherielin, Rapidice and 8 others like this.
  12. Elves Rule

Ok I just tested this and tortalleon transport didn't actually get nerfed... All it has is 2 less armour and is 9 more nora.

13. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Transport(the ability) is indeed still CD1 (rather than CD 5 or whatever), Patch Notes not withstanding. However, I'd say it certainly did get nerfed. It costs 11 more nora (by my count, Dive 1 Regen 3 went from 45 to 56, 41>52 for Regen 1), and has 2 less DEF for only 3 more HP. Last I checked, that's a large nerf. Take any rune you play otherwise, and add 11 to it's cost while reducing it's stats, and tell me that didn't "actually get nerfed."

It's not made to be completely useless, no, but that's a far cry from saying it's not actually nerfed...

@Moles Is the Transport CD correct in game and the error in the patch notes or the other way around? Personally, I think CD 5 or whatever (that the notes indicated) is way too much of a nerf, on top of all the cost changes, but it's good to know what you guys are actually going for.

EDIT: Patch notes were updated, the CD increase was removed from the notes, so I assume that the current iteration is intentional.

14. Elves Rule

Well, now it's stats are just slightly insane, but still, the cooldown was the big thing.

Qucas, JellyBerry and Ohmin like this.
  15. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

The ability should be changed from an active to a passive. It is really annoying and often takes time from your turn that you coulda used elsewhere.

The ability is just not fun.

Leadrz likes this.
  16. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

The number of threads a user can create per day should be nerfed.

17. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It was changed to an active because having it on all the time means that Tortuns autolose to nora gen counters.

18. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

10x Likes

19. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

That said the range check could be improved. Still love the active change overall however.

20. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

@Sokolov The banditry upgrade that they have seems to be a good solution. I wonder if it is costed properly though. I will test it and see how well I can do with them using banditry.