So I bought a box, and it wasn't exactly satisfying

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zenity, Mar 18, 2014.

1. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

I see what you're saying. Ok.

2. Queegon

Queegon I need me some PIE!

If legendaries become craftable, to save some value to them, why not create "legendary shards?" Sacrifice 3 legendaries to craft another to your liking.

Agreed on guaranteed legendary per box, it feels right. Exotics could be more common than 10%, now with them being craftable and all.
    Another route to go with would be exotics giving legendary shards too upon sacrifice, no guaranteed LEG in box.

You could craft anything from leg shards, but legendary runes could be cratable only with those.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
    super71 likes this.
  3. BigToastie

BigToastie The King of Potatoes

Keep Legendaries the way they are, but use them for comp prizes and such,
    also
    I think I have stole everyone's luck is all
    bought 2 gold packs, got 2 legendaries and an exotic <3

bought 2 boxes and got 3 exotics >.< (STICK TO PACKS!)

4. BigToastie

BigToastie The King of Potatoes

not if you have 100x forge hammer and other misc exo runes like I do! I am forging them but no idea what to! :|

5. ArchersAxe

ArchersAxe Member

I would certainly be interested in an option like this.

Or perhaps, even make them purchasable through a combination of shards and gold.

6. decondor

decondor I need me some PIE!

I as poxbox agree that it would be better if Legendaries can be forges HOWEVER not in the current form. 5% chance on a legendary is a better rate than the extend of the forge would be (as it is probably 2500(5x extended exo) shards). If legendaries are to be forged it must be done in a different league then the C.U.R.E. runes. Like with shards+gold, shards + some other material obtained by playing or as a result of destroying exotics. Lets say destroying a Extended set exo gives 2 legendary shards and Core set 1 legendary shard. It would require 750 shards and 20 legendary shards to forge a legendary. That way there is incentive to actually use the forge over poxbox. And even go and forge from common to exo just to get those legendary shards. Also I do indeed think to give them out for frequently playing. Like each legendary campaign completed each day gives 1 legendary shard, having played 50 pvp games a week grants you 5 of them etc. Or as a reward of quests/trophies of some sort.

It also gives smaller goals inside the game other than, grind for gold or gain rank.

Mdude186, RedScarlet and Czechmate23 like this.
  7. Prami

Prami I need me some PIE!

The amount of shards to craft a legendary rune doesn't need to be low, but there does need to be a price.

1000 shards? 1200 shards? More?

8. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

The price for legendaries will decrease as the supply will increase while the demand will either stagnate or icnrease subproportionally, if not evne decrease if better alternatives are leased.

9. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- I wish the OP got these packs then he would not have had to make this thread.

10. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

Average chance doesn't change, and an outlier wouldn't change the perceived value from a box (unless I got a gambling addiction).

11. Boozha

I don't know why your percieved value per box is low actually. Mine is high. Thoguh I wish numbers were fixed and there was no gamble.

12. Greysands22

Greysands22 I need me some PIE!

I want a box. Only have 3k gold right now though. Time to play more!

13. Zenity

Well that's exactly what I tried to explain, and I think the numbers I pointed out might go a long way at explaining why I feel that way.

Another way to look at it:

During Dawn of Elements, the cost of acquiring all Exotics in the game (at current box prices) would have been somewhere between $800 and $1600 (assuming one or two Exotics per box). That sounds pretty high, right?

But now, the cost of acquiring all Legendaries in the game is about $6400. Smooth number.

Back then, the game was also in its prime and seemed to have a great future. So the perceived value of the content for collectors was again much higher than it is now.

I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing. I'll just save my money and stick to buying a box or two per expansion. But I can't help but feel that something got lost, something which could also be an additional source of income for the game (let's call it compulsive collector syndrome...).

14. Boozha

The cost of aquiring all exotics or legendaries seems entirely irrelevant to me. I for one want a collection of runnable runes that I like and I can make BG's out of that have a chance. Boom, about 95% of Exotics and leg's are suddenly irrelevant.

15. Zenity

Yeah but what if you have enough to essentially make any BG you want (with some trading)? There used to be a very compelling collector's aspect to the game, and I feel that got lost somewhere along the way. Again, not necessarily a bad thing, but then perhaps there should be something else to replace it (like cosmetics).

16. Boozha

Yeah, probably. I've never been much of a collector, the only thing I could dig would be having 2x of all FS runes, and, well, I'll never be able to buy 2 harbies.

17. nitebane21

nitebane21 I need me some PIE!

Can this thread be summed up as "I have all the runes in the game and so boxes are not very exciting to buy anymore"? Cuz that's what I'm hearing. I also really don't understand your cost comparisons. Try rebuilding your collection from scratch and you'll discover that getting any exo or legendary is exciting.

18. Zenity

I got very far from all the runes (like I said, I dumped most of it at some point), just enough to trade for anything I need. I'm sure it is more exciting when you are starting out, so no big problem there... It just used to be different, that's all I'm saying (I used to have a lot more runes and still felt like buying boxes was fun every once in a while). Maybe this is better, maybe this is worse.

19. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

I'm not entirely sure if it is just the numbers or just that it comes with age. I think of all of the games I really enjoyed and how excited that I was about them when new things came out way back when, but now, given that I have more experience and that I have changed as well, they don't offer the same real excitement or thrill, though that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy them anymore.

It could be the numbers, but I'm not entirely sure that would be it and even if there were fewer runes, I don't know if that would still create the same amount of excitement.

I can agree though that given the number of champions, it does make many others feel as though they have lost their unique edge and that may be an important factor, but I feel that is more on a design standpoint of everyone getting everything than purely on the number of runes, though the number of runes I'm sure doesn't help.

20. Xiape

Xiape I need me some PIE!

An easier solution would be to make legendary runes interesting and fun to use but not essential. Then players wouldn't feel as much of a need to have them.

If you approach legendary runes from a "I have one legendary, so I'm going to make a deck around that rune", you may be more excited. If you already have enough decks, then getting more legendary runes isn't as exciting.