Cthulhu fhtagn

Discussion in 'Underdepths' started by Ramymanify, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Ramymanify

Ramymanify The King of Potatoes

I did not know where else to post this, so excuse my lack of direction
    I wonder at the faction identity of Firks,
    it is quite clearly a late gesture to be made, but I'll say it nonetheless,
    is Cthulu Protectorate ?

An Ammoral Illimitable Omnipotent being, is incapable of distinguishing the feeling or the notion to (Protect) anything or anyone

And Thus I propose to have an Under(water)Depths Firk sub-faction
    having an Underdepths (Deep ones) Submerged into the very core of the earth of the Poxnora universe
    would serve the Cthulu Mythos very well, and it would fit the Faction even more

I mean why can Elves be considered the only defecting group, when demons have clear influence over life in total

And I know, This is not The Cthulu universe, but the influence of Lovecraft is there in Firks,
    I just do not, and will not abide the idea, that these sons of the OLD ones are there to protect some swap territory, they even have attack Psychic !! (representing the mortal anguish in trying to comprehend the image of these indescribable beings, in the human brain)

So Mr.Sokolov
    I hope you read this, and take it in consideration, and not shrug it off as some ramblings of a fangasming Cthulu-worshipping cultist

Because they aren't

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  2. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

While I think Cthulu references are a bit cliche these days (especially when there are better lovecraft stories)...

This is actually pretty cool, the underdepths of the sea.

3. SMh7

SMh7 The King of Potatoes

Illithid and mindflayers!
    I like it!
    I want beholder for UDs, too.

4. Dwlr

Dwlr I need me some PIE!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. He's an AMORAL not immoral Elder God hibernating in underwater city albeit he is source of constant anxiety for men, but nothing screams demon which are usually depicted as outright 'evil'. The latest campaign hints at something in a temple in the Darkmarsh which sort of fits the whole Cthulhu thing along with the new Firk seemingly being 'darker'. I wouldn't call the Darkmarsh the model of "Protectorate" nor would I call De'lim and his followers model "Protectorate", seems perfectly fine to leave them where they are.

In the whole Cthulhu mythos Cthulhu can be regarded as one of the least 'evil' beings with amorality that affects mankind in a way that they're insignificant and their concepts of good and evil are below Cthulhu, basically his concept of morality is supposed to be beyond that of our insignificance, think Galactus from Marvel, he's not evil nor is he good, he devours planets to sustain his life force not out of some sort of malevolence and he's not beyond reasoning with, when his herald Silver Surfer was replaced with Nova she lead him to uninhibited planets that could sustain his life force and he was perfectly content. When Norrin Radd offered to become the herald to save his own planet he accepted and kept his word and sparred Zenn-La, Maxxarak and Serkan are outright evil it seems to me Cthulhu just is, he'd not really fit into a Wrath faction IMO nor does her persay fit into Protectorate, but he's closer to Protectorate than he is Wrath IMO. De'lim is willing to kill members of K'thir as suggested with his anger towards the Sarnghavian Centaur so if he can fit into a Protectorate factions killing treefolk and having obvious 'rage' issues Cthulhu can easily fit into the Darkmarsh of Protectorate Forglar Swamp.

5. Ramymanify

I'm sorry, I'll have to disagree
    fitting him into Forglar swamp destroys everything he represents
    Cthulhu does not want to sacrifice members in the name of greater good!, he wants to control the world, that might entail destroying everything, and everyone on it, if they chose to stand in his way, that's not protectorate
    his slumber is a path of madness visited upon any who intrude upon his domain, unlike said Firks or their so-called dark Brethren, with their territorial bullshit and protectorate nonsense
    (Forglar swamp, or a rename of the faction should be fit to him actually IMO)

Cthulhu aims higher than that, and like you say people's scrambles are beneath him, so even if he has no demon-link to him, he still is not a protectorate figure,
    because unlike Galactus, he does not eat out of hunger, he moves according to an omnipotent plan set by him and/or the Old ones

The resemblance of Firks to the old ones is stunningly similar (if not entirely influenced by the Lovecraft Mythos), and thus to lump them all off as heroes of a certain region is rather absurd and inconsiderate
    That's why I propose what I propose

The Delirim or whatever they're called can go burn trees all they like, they are still linked to a protectorate faction, no matter how different their methods or arts may be, they are still bound to obey the circle of K'thir
    and the federation of protectorate schmucks, and they still do what they do, no matter how "Dark" it may be, for the sake of the greater good, so they'll burn trees, or sacrifice some people for the sake of the larger populace,
    countless goody two shoes have done so, it's not a big deal

Thanks for your reply, regardless of the argument

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  6. Dwlr

Dwlr I need me some PIE!

He does not want to control the world his main goal is against the Air Gods primarily Hastur.

His 'slumber's is essentially his own death, it's a death like coma. His 'domain' as you call it is a prison and even outside that his domain would be Earth, by your logic anybody on Earth is part of his domain so if he wants to rule Earth that is his 'territory' already. As for naming a faction around him this is Pox any reference material they take from various cultures is free domain, they have Minotaurs lumped with Demons of Germanic descent I suppose you want to separate the other cultures too, but you're only mentioning Cthulhu which isn't mentioned in the game at all where other cultures mythological beings are expressly named Vampyres from the Balkans, Goblins from the Germans, Minotaur from the Greeks etc etc they're all mixed together.

He's far more Protectorate than Wrath the Ancient Ones "Old Ones" are more Wrath than Protectorate and he belongs to the Elder Gods which are largely benign deities that existed peacefully largely stirring to battle with the Old Ones and their various followers of which the races of Earth are largely not and .'. he'd leave the humans alone unless they got in his way then they're acceptable losses.

Again Cthulhu is a member of the Elder Gods in the Cthulhu Mythos which would have born some sort of struggle at all. If you follow the Lovecraft Mythos only the Firk which one can assume are the equivalent to the star-spawn of Cthulhu would be actively against Cthulhu and .'. wouldn't be included in the same faction like your wanting so, you're wanting to follow the Cthulhu mythos, but are using the Cthulhu exclusively from the Lovecraft Mythos which contradicts what you're wanting completely as his followers in the Lovecraft Mythos would mostly be human making Forsaken Waste the much more logical place for him and he'd be opposing the Firks. (his star-spawn)

De'lim opposes Menalaus and Bliss and varying forces in K'thir choose to follow Menalaus, not to mention De'lim was an outcast of K'thir and is against more than trees more or less using whatever he possibly can Experimental Warspirits forcing elves to become Runners etc etc hardly 'bound' to K'thir, he's bound to his own agenda clearly which further evidence can be seen when he delays the efforts to look for Menalaus to maintain his own power.

You're right they do whatever they want more or less, but they're not considered outright evil which in no Mythos is Cthulhu evil, he's at worst amoral and at best a force of 'good' against the 'evil' Old Ones. The Lovecraft Mythos again you'd not have a Firk Deck with Cthulhu in it since they'd be opposing each other, so if you want to lump them together it'd be the Cthulhu Mythos making him a force that is generally 'good' and thus Protectorate by default.
    If it was simply for the greater good than one can assume you'd want Menalaus back what with being a leader of K'thir and De'lim isn't interested in that which is very 'greater good-y'.

7. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Actually a Race: Demon, Firk - Class: Demi-God would be pretty nifty.

8. Myrrh

Myrrh New Member

Seems like it could be something cool to do I guess, as long as it's done right. I don't know anything about Cthulhu really, but what from what's been said it looks like there'd be some compatibility issues that undermine your proposal.

9. Ramymanify

I appreciate your input,
    however, I linked him to the Firks on sole physical resemblance,
    I know having a Cthulhu in Pox would not happen, it can be problematic I understand
    Thematic references and copyrights and all that
    My proposal was to have a sub-faction of Demon-Firks
    or Old-one Firks
    but if we are going to Link Cthulhu to Pox,
    I guess Elsarin is a good place for him to be culturally-related to

I remember saying that it's past the point for having the FS faction relating to him
    what I proposed was a sub-faction, a deviation from the norm, like Deep elves

but if that proves to be too much of a hassle, perhaps Elsarin would suffice
    being dark followers and all, Not that it is going to matter, seeing as Cthulhu is not part of Poxanthru

The race itself, is what I'm aiming at, and thanks to your addition (and me being wrong)
    Old ones - influenced race followers, being in Wrath is what I want to see
    Just as we have Cthulhu - inspired Firk Protectorate Faction

My thanks .. to you

10. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

Get out....

11. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

it would give sixul a home.

12. Ramymanify

Yes, his name is the world ender
    and yet he serves protectorate, people who wish to protect a part of the world !
    Contradiction much ?

13. Dwlr

Dwlr I need me some PIE!

Life is full of contradiction, idioms for example are oft contradictions. "Cum tacent clamant. When they are silent, they are shouting." "That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger." etc. Sixul's card doesn't specify which world either, the Shattered Peaks could be considered a "world" or whatever else faction it doesn't have to be the 'world' he is trying to protect. It could also be viewed as he has the potential to "end worlds", if he hasn't "ended a world" he's not literally a "world ender" anyway. Being a UD/FS wouldn't change any of that nor are demons required to be 'malevolent'.

14. Ramymanify

Life is full of Bullshit as well,
    'World' is not a territory, "Poxanthru" is (The World) in the lore of this game, other than that, every other Domain is faction-linked,
    Mountain area for Shattered peaks, Hell for Underdepths, Swamp for frogs, etc .

And yes, being malevolent does not necessarily require a demon element, but
    Demons are the masters of malevolence, and are at the core of every mischievous endeavor
    ask warlocks and folklore-tellers around the world, our Human intellect is permeated by them

In fact, to be Malevolent, one must come in contact with his inner demon(as a metaphorical or an interpretative source of wrong-doing)
    which has been referenced, a myriad of times, through multimedia and culture

15. Myrrh

Myrrh New Member

World is certainly not limited to literally describing something huge like a planet. Something as small as a city or village, a forest or a cave can be seen as a world. Big cities differ greatly from slums, and sometimes they're not even so distant from each other. We're still on the same planet but the customs and conditions provide different ways of life (entertainment, hopes and dreams, ideals, opportunities, etc). Someone born into the slum life is practically from another world as far as the guy in the big city is concerned.

I still don't know very much about all these different factions and races stuff, but I assume they have their different ways of life within their home environments. It's not out of place to call them worlds.

16. Ramymanify

It's not objective as well,
    the way you're describing it, fits more into a metaphorical or a subjective category,
    but that is certainly not the case, when we are talking about Geographical affiliation

Sixul has the worldender suffix linked to his flavor text, and yet he serves the protectorate faction of the swamp,
    to "protect" the world from evil invaders = moot or laughable at best

Your Hypothesis, would serve well in a novel or a drama series, associated with how a singular individual entity perceives its environment,
    however, this is not the case regarding the matter at hand

17. Dwlr

Dwlr I need me some PIE!

The factions do serve as a geographical location, clearly if the poxanthuru as a whole is the world of which they speak considering it's still there he hasn't ended any worlds at all now has he? Not much of a "World Ender" in your sense at all. You want to use it like it's a title that defines him in some way shape or form, but the title is meaningless in a literal sense. Perhaps the definition of world will clear up that the fact that it doesn't have to be the entire planet or grand scale you're making it out to be.

World:
    1. the earth or globe, considered as a planet.
    2. a particular division of the earth (ex: The Western world)
    3. the earth or a part of it, with its inhabitants, affairs, etc., during a particular period (ex: the ancient world)
    4. humankind; the human race; humanity (ex: The world must eliminate war and poverty)
    5. the public generally (ex: The whole world knows it)
    6. the class of persons devoted to the affairs, interests, or pursuits of this life (ex: The world worships success)
    7. a particular class of people, with common interests, aims, etc. (ex: the fashion world)

So basically you're arguing none of the other definitions exist and it has to be definition 1 or rather the pox equivalent definition of 1. ALL the other definitions support the fact that he can be the World Ender and still be protecting something be it Shattered Peaks, a particular race, even a singular 'person'.

You also claim you don't want to deal with metaphorically yet you're saying all demons are evil and used a metaphor about one's inner demons. Demons can be written a number of ways and lets face it we're talking about a fantasy world here so other fantasy worlds can be used as credible sources. To disprove and absolute one need only site one example as well so I'll go with Hellboy, a demon, but not an evil one, in-fact one could argue that he's 'good' fighting evil and all that dreck. QED Not all demons are evil/malevolent. Even based in the non fantastical sense and dealing with the definitions of such a mischievous child can be called a demon, mischievousness is a far cry from malevolent. Additionally any form of spirit can be referred to as a demon, spirits don't have any moral obligation to be one way or another, considering 'demons' in the physical sense don't exist or rather there is no evidence of Minotaurs, Goblins, Orcs/Deep Elves (pending on your fantasy view they'd be one in the same, but I digress), etc so as I mentioned you do kind of have to deal in the fantastical anyway and there are more than a fair share of neutral or even 'good' demons in various myths, folklore, fantastical worlds, etc.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015