Off-Topic to be aptly renamed "Political Rants Too Verbose for Facebook"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by kalasle, Sep 12, 2015.

1. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

2. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

didn't click, was amused anyway

3. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Did click, was amused anyway.

DarkJello likes this.
  4. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

5. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I don't think the political "mirror" two-party thing is a nerd problem. It's an American problem.

Most conversations seem to boil down to "are you liberal or conservative?" which is just idiotic, and watching something like Fox News would have you believe there are only 2 groups of people, "Gullible sheep who follow Obama, or Patriots defending the American Way." I don't understand why just because someone disagrees with your political views they are out to destroy America or something.

Tho the idea that there is some imaginary "centrist" group that's rational I guess was the main point there, which is also silly.

Bellagion and Ohmin like this.
  6. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Though I rather doubt it's a purely American problem. Take the modern history of Greece for example, which has largely been shaped by "right wing" vs. "left wing" though of course that was also largely influenced by the US and the Cold War in general.

On a related note, I think it's interesting the other subtext of it. It assumes that "the middle ground" between two political ideologies is necessarily "the most rational" view. While compromise is of course an important part of politics, it is not always in the best interest of a either a nation or its government to always seek the "middle" path.

There's also the idea of the "Overton Window" and how it can be "moved." Which is basically redefining "centrist" policies by advocating a more extreme version of what you actually want to make what you want seem far more reasonable a compromise.

DarkJello and SPiEkY like this.
  7. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I think the two-party thing is definitely worse in America for the following reasons:
    • the vilification of the Communist countries during the cold war in the US
    • the details of the voting system which has led to the two-party system in the US
    In Canada, for example, where I have citizenship, parliament typically consists of no less than 5 parties in the House, while the UK has 11 parties in its current Parliament.

It doesn't mean there isn't a left vs right divide, but you have, for example, a conservative party that is pro-union in the UK - which seems unthinkable in the US.

Additionally, I think the "middle ground" is silly not just because sometimes compromise is wrong, but also that it implies there is a middle at all and that left and right are actually polar opposites and largely the only 2 poles. But most people prefer to think in terms of "are you with me or against me?" And the two established parties have done a great job of keeping that divide.

8. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

The US has a two party system of which both are different shades of right wing. Your political spectrum is nonexistant. With anything more left than the moderately right wing democrats you apparently can't win a flowerpot in the US.

Ohmin likes this.
  9. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I think it's also interesting how certain political views have become associated with each political tribes. That, for example, environmentalism, becomes a 'left wing policy' and anti-immigration becomes 'right wing'. Sometimes these are consistent with a wider philosophy associated with left and right, but often it seems pretty arbitrary.

Once this happens I think people stop considering specific issues on their own merit, and their views are automatically prejudiced against anything associated with the opposite tribe - which is obviously bad for finding solutions, or even having a rational argument.

Ohmin and SPiEkY like this.
  10. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

I was making this exact point the other week. Why, when I give talks on sea-level change, am I considered left wing because I work in the field of climate change? (They are correct, but that's not the point).

Why is a branch of science, considered in terms of the political spectrum?

Bellagion likes this.
  11. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Because one side has made denial of this part of scince a part of ther program and thus politicised it

12. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

In that particular case I would guess that it is because the idea of climate change is opposed by certain business interests (as it impacts their profits), who lobby against it and put out their counter arguments.

Because 'the right' is already associated with big business, and the idea of business generally, it is easy for right leaning media to disseminate their arguments and for right leaning people to accept them.

It also seems more partisan in the US than in my country, and i wonder how much of this is due to the American lobbying system (which I'm not well versed in).

In the UK we don't have quite the same blatancy about how business interests influence government, so despite having some of the biggest oil companies, they don't have a platform to openly argue against climate change.

I wonder if it is because of this, that the link here between environmentalism and right/left is less well defined - though it is definitely more left than right, a Tory prime minister can campaign on environmental issues.

In fact, the main anti-environmentalist influence seems to be from right leaning middle class people who don't like wind farms spoiling their views of the countryside.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  13. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Funny, I was going to suggest they rename off topic to 'the water cooler'.

DarkJello likes this.
  14. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

15. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I didn't actually write the article. (Damn, I wish) My name is more mundane than that.

DarkJello likes this.
  16. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

Interesting article, but it seems to have little to do with nerd or tech culture and more to do with popular simplifications of the current state of the two-party system in America. I haven't read the end yet so maybe he wraps it all back up later tho.

Ohmin likes this.
  17. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

It's widely applicable, but painfully relevant to particular sub-cultures. Maybe if you think it applies to the entire populace, it's because you're heavily immersed in nerd or tech culture, and there it's a much larger portion of your personal experience of culture than it may be for someone else.

18. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

Of the demographics he refers to in the article, I would probably fall under artist/academic/minority/lgbtq. I was just referring to the phenomena of fallaciously viewing America's parties as two mirror images and of assuming centrist = logical = moderate

19. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Ah, yeah, I think that part goes for a whole ton of different groups.

Ohmin likes this.
  20. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

I'll take this opportunity to announce that I'll be running for president in 2016

DarkJello likes this.