Discussion: Spirits Beyond Patch Notes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Senshu, Mar 29, 2016.

1. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

To hell with the formula, you don't fix what isn't broken. Many of the changed champs were not broken; they were nerfed without just cause and you're trying to write it off as collateral damage. Not only does this kind of thing waste Sok's time, but it should never have made it into the patch in the first place. Hoping for changes in the next patch is a poor view to take, since it's just one small step away from being drawn into the "SoonTM" loop.

BurnPyro, Goyo, Qucas and 2 others like this.
  2. Willow

Willow I need me some PIE!

no range should be over 4 max and those that are 4 max should be more expensive or sandbagged... menalaus shouldnt be abe to doubletap every turn from 7 range, 8 with covenant

3. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I gotta say, with the splashing of vulnerablities, even at 25%, and the weird nerfs to already bad ranged units, i'm a little disappointed. I was expecting the meta ranged champs like Mena and Juya to be hit, but were pretty much untouched.

Willow likes this.
  4. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Ranged options were deemed a fundamental problem. Everything is being universally scaled back. Better that, I think, than the haircut approach of "a bit off the top" and then wait for other things to grow ahead. I believe that this round of changes resulted from some tweaks to the formula -- I could be wrong on that. If, however, that is the case, then these sort of blanket changes are precisely what people should expect. Folks were clamoring about balance problems and ranged domination so much that Sok decided to do something about it.

However you feel about this round of changes, Jazz, be the reasonable guy you can be and sit on it for a week or two. My gut reaction to E. Lich losing 1 DMG without apparent compensation is also "wait, why is that happening?", but lets stow the harsher rhetoric at least until we see the material effects of this patch and expansion.

Woffleet and Alakhami like this.
  5. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

It's more the sentiment that annoys me the most about this patch: "Ok, ranged is too strong, so let's nerf the OP ranged champs AND the weak ranged champs".

The problem I see with universally scaling things back is that it affects the weaker runes way more than the stronger runes. Stronger ranged units will still be stronger, because the weaker runes will get even weaker, giving players even less of a reason to pick them. It won't change a single thing; people will run the previously OP ranged units because, while they are weaker than before, the other options will not even be worth considering.

You could say "well in a future patch, those weak runes will be buffed to be on the same level as the stronger runes", but in the interim they're left to rot for who knows how long. And by the time they ARE buffed, new runes will have been released that will raise the power gap even further, forcing the devs to buff those weak runes more than they should so that they are able to compete. I know that in a game with so many runes, a certain percentage are bound to be shoebox at any given time. But deliberately reducing the power of already bad runes just to tone down the power of strong runes seems fundamentally wrong.

6. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

What is Catastrophizing?
    By John M. Grohol, Psy.D.
    Catastrophizing is an irrational thought a lot of us have in believing that something is far worse than it actually is.

Falling prey to Catastrophizing is like striking out in your mind before you even get to the plate. Catastrophizing limits your opportunities in life, work, relationships and more. It can affect our entire outlook in life, and create a self-fulfilling prophecy of failure, disappointment and underachievement.

This may lead you to self-pity, to an irrational, negative belief about the situation, and to a feeling of hopelessness about your future prospects. Catastrophizing will possibly paralyze you from going further with efforts toward your goals in pox.

Battling Catastophizing
    Every time you now want to Catastrophize a situation, you should answer yourself back in your mind:
    Stopping yourself from Catastrophizing takes a lot of conscious effort on your part, patience, and time. But if you try, your Catastrophizing will be a thing of the past!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    fattyy2k and Lushiris like this.
  7. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

My suggestion wasn't quite that, although other posters have made such a case. I really meant "Wait until the competitive grind indicates which things are bad or good, then voice a strong opinion."

And wait, because, while we may have a reasonable or logical way to sprint to a conclusion, certainty demands some form of patience; we may think that the changes to some runes are bad, but until we have looked at everything in a new context, we can't say for certain whether or not that is either the case or undesirable. So don't worry, I get your position, and agree with the concern. I just think that the concern should be expressed a bit differently. I have been in exactly your shoes before with changes to FW: I've flipped out multiple times about changes to worms, to Bile Zombie, what have you; I've objected quickly and vocally to nerfs and buffs in the past. And, sometimes I was right! at least right in that I held the same opinion months later after careful evaluation. I have personally been wrong enough, and often enough, to be cautious of my own opinion and judgement -- to be careful with it. Your case makes total sense, I merely want to encourage you to have a similar kind of self-awareness about the process.

Woffleet, JellyBerry and Alakhami like this.
  8. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

Also patch notes are sometimes unreliable. So the actual impact may be beyond what we are seeing here.

9. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

When making larger scale changes to the core structure, there are always going to be some things that get adjusted which some may not agree with.

(To be even more precise, in my experience it doesn't matter what changes at all, someone will disagree with it.)

In this case, the goal was to re-align RNG and base costs. Some champs probably didn't need nerfed, but those will have to be looked at individually, and by costing their RNG aspect more appropriately, their REAL problem will become more apparent (as opposed to their RNG being undercosted while something else is overcosted, etc.).

When evaluating the ranged stuff, keep in mind the this patch focused on specific other things:
    • Many ranged champs lost access to higher ranked DOTs
    • Many ranged champs lost DMG
    • Some also went up in cost (Mena and Juya both lost DMG and increased in cost, for example)
    • This was not a buff ranged patch
    • Reduction in the amount of indirect damage and passive champions (this one is on-going)
    In other words, evaluating changes to champs based on what they were competing with before might also be problematic, and you need to compare to the new baseline.

Essentially, the difference is that this was not a TARGETED nerf patch except if the ranged champs fit certain criteria, but more of a cost formula alignment.

The reason I went with the more broad approach was that while specific ranged champs were considered OP relative to other ranged champs, the general problem being addressed was more that Ranged champions were too efficient compared to their melee counterparts - and a targeted approach would have ended up touching most ranged champs anyway.

~

All that said, I don't like sweeping changes if I don't have to, but sometimes they are necessary. I do appreciate that sweeping changes do not specifically target problematic runes very well and does have collateral damage.

This is my last planned major overhaul that affects a ton of champs at once (outside of ability cost adjustments).

Going forward, expect any larger scale overhauls to be based around specific groups of champions for other reasons (for example, adjusting how X theme plays), rather than things like ranged adjustment. Liches, for example, may be getting some spell synergy in the future (part of the reason I would be reluctant to buff E Lich right now).

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    Woffleet, Tweek516, soulmilk and 5 others like this.
  10. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Just want to inform everyone that my posts in this thread are being deleted and edited by the moderator.

Kampel likes this.
  11. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

I like most of of the changes on this patch, huge ammount of bug fixes, gj

Lushiris likes this.
  12. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Probably something they judged inappropriate, I don't believe your posts would be deleted because of your opinions.

13. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I noted that some extraneous forum markup code was edited in your previous post, but you may have done that yourself.

14. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

same here

15. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

Maintenance has concluded and Spirits Beyond is now Live!

Gnomes and Lushiris like this.
  16. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

First like deserves a free box?

17. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Holy smokes these runes turned out well. I had my doubts about some of them -- doubts allayed.

Woffleet likes this.
  18. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

Lookswise or do you mean mechanically? I am really excited about a lot of them.

<3 <3 <3 = Jellebrium Overlord

Gnomes likes this.
  19. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Ok, it really pains me a lot to say this but here I go (this is only regarding ST):

1) The whole idea of everything being XX/YY is terrible, at least to me. It will make a lot of bgs the same, even in different factions, which will lead to bgs looking more and more alike. I'd understand if there were a couple of runes, but almost all in every faction? Bad idea to me.
    2) The runes are really, really underwhelming. No creativity put into place, no upgrade lines to choose from. There is one obvious answer and thats it. Props to Leaf on the Wind, though, he is cool.
    3) The art on the runes are terrible for the most part. The jakei one looks like he was drawn by a 10 year old untalented kid. Pox has always had awesome art, this was a big let down for me. Except for Leaf on the Wind, his art is cool too.
    4) Sok keeps releasing new abilities for Exos every expansion. More and more complication to newplayers, powercreep, etc. Ugh.

All in all, I know I displease a lot of you guys with my "negativity", but come on. This discussion thread has 3 pages (it used to have more than 10) and I'm willing to bet there are less than 100 players online atm.
    They should be spending time and resources brainstorming how to make this game thrive again, not nerfing shoeboxed runes or releasing OP spells (I didnt want to say it, but just take a look at buffed Shield spell in ST. LOOOOOOOL)
    Anyways, from an outsiders perspective, it was a let down for me. Again, my opinion.

20. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I haven't fully looked at the new runes so I won't comment on that.

4) It would be nice if the devs could just dramatically shift from 30-60+ abilities per expansion to 10 or less, but that's highly unlikely. The "Let's Build An Expansion Thread" is an example of how sok is trying to move away from releasing so many new abilities.

Shield was changed to stop the superchamp BGs that were always a problem.