Video Games

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by IMAGIRL, Jun 13, 2015.

1. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

Also the witcher 3 is for sure the best game of 2015

2. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Or the guy who plays 2v2 and bile zombies the shrine to death

3. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Do any of you have age of wonders 3 =), great game if you like games like civ but with a bit more fantasy.

Geressen likes this.
  4. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

aow 3 is probably the top fantasy 4x imo if you like rpg and tactical combat more than diplomacy and empire development. lots of viable class/skill combos. beautiful graphics. some interesting mods here and there. I liked the middle earth scenarios.

super71 and Geressen like this.
  5. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I believe there is even an age of wonders thread but it is shrouded in myth and legend.

super71 and Qucas like this.
  6. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Yeah I enjoyed the game so much I made my own mod and still update it at least once a month. It's sad the game flew so under the radar because they didn't wanna pay all the gaming magazines to give them a better rating. 500k copies sold is no joke though.

Geressen likes this.
  7. rockintrol

rockintrol The King of Potatoes

If i were stuck on a lone island that somehow had electricity and a gaming pc, then i would certainly play Warhammer online: (return) of reckoning. maybe some of you have played it, and if you do then you know that EA shut it down (*******). HOWEVER do not be disappointed because some awesome guys has created a private server with over 1000 people still playing (and growing) and is working on getting all the content back, FOR FREE, GW hsa been cool enough to let it pass since its non-profit. Heres the website, should definitely check it out.
    http://www.returnofreckoning.com/index.php

Qucas and Geressen like this.
  8. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

notice how rockintrol said with a PC and electricity but didn't mention internet, classic mistake when dealing with genies.

Qucas and rockintrol like this.
  9. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Note: AOW3 is terrible in Multiplayer for both technical and balance reasons. (I can go more into detail if people care, but I know most play these games single player.)

10. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Please, elaborate.

11. Sokolov

In terms of technical, there are a number of behaviors/mechanics that make multiplayer technically challenging.

While you play it is simultaneous turns, but when one of the players is looking at a battle (even if they haven't entered it), the game functionally stops working for the other players. This behavior manifests as though you are lagging, or disconnected, as there is no indication as to WHY your client is not responding, it just doesn't do anything. Secondly, if a player enters battle, the other player will be stuck this way until the battle ends as well. In other words, you will be sitting around quite often during multiplayer games while your friends are fighting, as only one human player can be fighting at a given time and the game is "locked" for the other players while the fight is going on.

In terms of balance, many spells are quite ridiculous, and starting locations are often imbalanced. Randomness, then, plays a critical role in who has the advantage. Someone who gets the Swap spell (not sure what it is called there) has an immediately advantage as its power level is high relative to many other spells in that tier. End game spells are often gamebreaking, and the bonus rewards for doing things first further snowballing in a game type whose base mechanics are all about snowballing in the first place.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    IMAGIRL and Qucas like this.
  12. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

The story and lore are amazing. But the combat system is meh, overall controlling yout character is okayish. While the item/crafting etc is very in depth, it's also hella confusing.

The endless grind through the exact same side quests tick me off as well.

I started out absolutely loving it, but put it on hold after 20 or so hours and haven't really touched it since.

Other than that, I'm the most mainstream gamer you'll ever see (save pox).

League, HS, fallout, csgo, skyrim, civ5, gta5, AoE series.

Preordered farcry primal, enjoyed it so far. Bout 10h played.

My only problem is that I can only play one non-multiplayer game at a time. And when I pauze one to play another I don't touch it for ages. I suck.

13. Ragic

do you avoid single player or just prefer mp? mp is a whole other genre imo. what is the hook for playing 4x multiplayer vs just playing an RTS instead?

14. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

15. Sokolov

I tend to just prefer MP. I will play some of them SP player sometimes to figure out particular mechanics... but it's just not as interesting to play these sort of games without friends to talk about it with and compete against.

I have literally never finished a game of solo Civ V, ever.

I have played through entire games of EU IV though. But the difference with that game is that it's less "competitive" and more of an experience.

I don't really enjoy RTS anymore (used to play them a ton back in high school). I enjoy the gameplay of 4X and I like playing them competitively with friends. So I guess to the question of "what's the hook" it's that RTS and 4X are very different and I like 4X more?

~

But yea, I am not saying AOW3 is a bad game. And many of these games don't handle MP well as a rule so it's not exactly uncommon. But it is true that AOW3 is particularly bad on the MP front.

16. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

you guys are all writing AoE3 in a weird way but I agree nothing has ever been better than AoE2

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    IMAGIRL likes this.
  17. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

On sale again. Same price.

Geressen likes this.
  18. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

On sale again. Same price.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  19. Ragic

Anyone else into grim dawn? Enjoying my first play through atm. Commando (cadence not fire strike as the main atk).

20. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I've been into Grim Dawn since 2007. (Titan Quest)

Yes, yes I love it.