Powerful Underrated Runes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vorian, Jun 3, 2016.

1. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Yo, it's cool. No need to jump down Willow's throat for disagreeing with me.

As for underrated runes -- Essence Devourer / Graveyard, and to a lesser extent Wandering Zombie (although most people know that rune is nuts). I think every FW player and their mother should be running 2 of each of all those runes.

Vorian likes this.
  2. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Its not about what she did its about how she did it. You're allowed to be wrong you're not allowed to be wrong and a ****wit about it.

JellyBerry, Pattn199 and Atherhog like this.
  3. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Well, best to just let it drop, and -- can't believe I'm saying this -- get back to Vorian's original point.

4. Scrijordan

Scrijordan I need me some PIE!

And now willow look stupid on forums

5. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Well purely for the sake of not coming on here purely for the *****ing. Revenant barely ever gets run but its bloody amazing.

6. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

Globule in FS. Either kicks out dmg or forced a waste of ap. People seem so badly prepared for it.

Ohmin and Vorian like this.
  7. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

Essence Devourer is a beast, its stats are worth 85+ nora. I always dread facing 1. It also combos well with the FW bonus because of its CD.

8. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

I mean.....kalasle and I disagree about a helluva lot of things (because hes dumb). But theres absolutely 0 chance i would argue with him about actual mechanics unless i was 1000% positive and had literally just tested the mechanic myself.

9. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Wait I'm confused, Soulstrike isn't an attack?

Edit: technically it isn't an attack, it's a mechanic that affects basic attacks, but given it can't be anywhere else but in basic attacks I guess we can say it is a basic attack, in practice.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  10. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Agreed. Though that said I do personally think Soulsphere is the "best" underrated rune in FS. Particularly given the easy access to Empathy and other AoE heals in the faction.

11. Ballballer

Not if the other guy is running tariff ;)

12. Lushiris

She isn't underrated at all though, everyone knows how powerful she is, and every ST beast BG has her, and even some mixed BGs.

As far as truly underrated runes go, I'd say Halberd of J'thir and Crystallize.
    Halberd is just the best counter to Blind, Dodge, Nohkan Do(ironically), Evasive and Reflexes, not to mention it gives Retreat on demand, which is actually insane when well used, people really don't expect ST champions to disengage easily. There's rarely a game where I don't use it, even if Precision isn't needed.

Crystallize is nearly impossible to waste, unless your enemy dispels it. It gives 3 freaking rounds of impervious, meaning you're able to contest an enemy font to "get" the nora you spent on it back. Not to mention that mechanically, it's the only spell(if I recall correctly) that gives both a buff and a debuff simultaneously. The catch is that you can actually cleanse the champion, which will remove the Paralyzed part to have an impervious champion walking around(which can be incredibly unfair). I have a couple theories as to why people don't run it, but this post would just get too long.

I was going to say Arctic Wail but we all know how powerful it is, most people just don't use it because running it means they can't have more than Banner and Ice Shard(or Endless Iceberg, but I'm not sure about running it tbh) in their BG. Even without Frost Amp it's very good.

There are other runes, but they're harder to use, despite still being good when correctly played.

13. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

Have you checked out Aquatic Talisman lately? 20 nora for 25% max HP healing every single round. Even if you only get one round of healing out of it, it's probably already paid for itself. Every Aquatic deck should be running one, it's a huge amount of healing for such little nora.

Soulsphere definitely has more versatility though, and it's a great combo piece. I remember when Soulsphere + Resilient decks were a thing. You'd split with IS to Mason the Spheres and get a few more Resilient champs, and after a few deploys none of your units would take damage lol. Was pretty strong too, but I don't think there are enough Resilient things left to make it work.

Ohmin likes this.
  14. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

When it comes to IS runes, I'd say a lot of people underestimate the Ironfist Collector. He doesn't quite have the raw stats of something like Thug or Axeman, but he brings some potent utility and harassing ability. Just slap a Brew on him and sneak around side fonts. If the enemy placed a relic there for defense, just Reclaim it and take the font yourself. Or use him as a cheap brawler, upgrading Provision to boost his defense further. Plus he's got some great synergy with the Dwarf and equipment themes.

Unbending Force is another of my favorites, though most would think I'm nuts for running it. In a faction with as much healing as IS, why would I waste a slot on saving a low HP unit for another round when I could just heal it up instead? Well the thing is this: my IS decks rarely include healing. I might run 1 PoV in my Dwarf deck and that's it, for example.

Unbending Force is an extremely potent baiting spell, primarily because hardly anyone ever suspects it. I love to utilize the element of surprise in my decks by running runes that are all but forgotten by the layman playerbase. People do the same kind of thing with RD, but RD is extremely obvious when it's up. Most of the time you look at an opponent's positioning and can determine with relative certainty that RD is up.

But with Unbending Force, there's no way to tell. The opponent just thinks "oh, he couldn't save that unit after all; guess it's an easy kill" or "hmm, so he's going to sacrifice this unit to kill that one over there". Then Unbending Force comes around and boom, their whole strategy is shot to pieces because the unit they spent all their AP and nora trying to kill now survives long enough to win the trade in my favor.

This works best with Dwarven King or some such powerturn rune because these are usually the first targets, and those most often within reach. After one successful Warcry turn, my opponent will often counter by trying to kill the King and prevent a snowball. Of course Unbending Force prevents this and I get 2 Warcry turns in a row, usually after the opponent over-extends like crazy.

It's somewhat counter-productive in a lot of IS decks, but it's totally my style and I love running it.

Pattn199, JellyBerry and Vorian like this.
  15. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It is TRIGGERED by a basic attack, but the damage it deals isn't a basic attack.

Consider Nora Weave or Healing Wind, which triggers off basic attacks. That doesn't mean the nora generated or the healing is an attack.

Vorian likes this.
  16. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

Compare Experimental War Spirit and Elsarin Reaper and its a no brainer on what to run. ?the onlt reason I would ever run Warspirit over Elsarin Reaper is if I was ******** or desperate for soul strike in Kf which is a pretty good reason!

17. Lushiris

It's different in this case. The mechanics you mentioned don't alter the basis of an attack if they get removed. If you remove Soulstrike from a champion(presuming it retains 0 damage), the attack will be "incomplete", exactly as if you removed a champion's damage. Soulstrike's function is to behave as an attack's damage/LoL, it just isn't an attack because they chose not to do so.

My point is, it's easier to explain Soulstrike as a different attack type(although it's one of a kind so you can't say it's the same as a regular attack) attack than as an extra effect, because it changes the attack itself, instead of only adding something. Of course it has worked fine(*cough op*) so far so I'm just throwing a random useless theory.

Edit: it could easily become a basic attack(not a suggestion) just by making it "Soulstrike: this champion makes an attack at its range, dealing Loss of Life to target enemy champion equal to 25% of its max HP. This is a basic attack."

I didn't put the 0 damage thing because it's an external clause, but that could also be added.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  18. Ballballer

This guy is OP in all seriousness. I remember playing against gutsa's delim/tree deck and he ran this dude.

19. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Eh, you still trigger Healing Wind if you have 0 DMG on your attack IIRC. Same with Dispelling Blows and other such effects. And they'd arguably still be useful to attack with. I don't think it's that much of a stretch here.

20. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Except it's not. Soulstrike doesn't do what you say it does. Removing Soulstrike from a champion doesn't make an attack "incomplete." In fact, Soulstrike REQUIRES that the attack is completed AND successful before it even does anything.

Soulstrike, like Healing Wind, simply says, "On successful basic attack, also do X." Whether or not Soulstrike is on a champion doesn't alter the original basic attack's behavior in any direct way - the ability simply sits there, listening for a successful basic attack.