Magic The Gathering Pysical/Online Player Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Thonskie, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Thonskie

Thonskie Member

I really don't know concordant crossroads, but when I checked it... geez, it's kind of OP at 1 casting cost. Is this the EDH format You're into?
    Haven't tried it, looks like powerful decks are used there.

2. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

It's a casual format, deck power entirely depends on who your friends are.

3. Thonskie

Thonskie Member

That's nice, would love to try playing in this format.
    One thing I'm not sure though, been a long time since I last check MTGO and not sure if this format is already available there.
    anyhow, thanks for the info.

4. AmmonReros

AmmonReros I need me some PIE!

Thing with EDH is that you can only play cards that the color identity of your general allows. (I refuse to call EDH Commander.) So in Arthurthyrs case, who plays Omnath, he may only play green cards. And colorless ones as they dont have a color.
    or if you want to read the whole thing (it isnt all that long): http://mtgcommander.net/rules.php

What I horribly enjoy (and I had it 2 years before Nekusar came out) is the combination of the following:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and all cards that play about like that. Discard/Draw/damage through either.
    My deck is pretty much perfected in that manner. Only thing I lack is a Timetwister but that is kinda hard to achieve. Cheapest legal one is priced at almost 200€.
    The last posted card also comboes very nicely with Notion Thief who I posted before.

5. Authyrtyr

Oh yeah, I built a Nekusar deck once. Some other good ones are Teferi's Puzzlebox and Mind's Aglow

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. AmmonReros

As said my list is pretty much perfected :p
    I'd be surprised if you could show me something new and exciting that still fits in.

7. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I miss the old colors on the cards. These new cards just don't look as good. I miss the old T tap symbol too. I also heard that they removed mana burn. Do they still have Instant, Interrupt, Sorcery? I know Summon X was changed to Creature - X

8. Authyrtyr

Depends on whether or not you keep updating your list with new sets. From Born of the Gods:
    [​IMG]
    Personally I like the new style of the cards a lot more. They still have color on them (see black on the fate unraveler), the tap symbol did get replaced but I think the new symbol is better, but again... personal taste. They did remove Interrupt and Summon did become Creature (although that one doesn't matter so much). Personally I'm glad they removed mana burn but that's just because I run an Omnath EDH deck.

Thonskie likes this.
  9. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I don't even know what an EDH deck is.

10. Authyrtyr

The key is that my deck revolves around this guy:
    [​IMG]
    It should be fairly obvious why I don't want mana burn based on his effect.

11. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Mana burn only happens when your pool gets emptied, so in the case here you would just need to summon a Kraklin, cast Stream of Life, or something similar before you ended your turn. I haven't bought cards since The Rath Cycle. I haven't even looked at cards since some set that had dual mana colors, where you could pay either one to count, like a champ that cost 3 mana total, and each symbol was W/G so you could use any combination of 3 white and green. That was the one time I played around with some deck building tool that let you play against another person.

12. Authyrtyr

Well Omnath keeps my mana pool from emptying ever so I can accrue a lot of mana, the issue is that he would get kill spelled and I'd be screwed if I didn't have certain cards in my deck. Many of which I don't run on principle because of how ridiculously powerful they are (ie Helix Pinnacle)

13. AmmonReros

14. Thonskie

Thonskie Member

Thanks for all the EDH guide url's :).

15. Vaayshan

Vaayshan Member

I got into Magic during Dissension I think? Somewhere around that time.

Me and my brother were walking home from school and on our way we stopped by the local store to buy some Yugi-Oh! cards, but sadly they were all gone! Then we saw one of those tournament packs, or whatever they were called of the original Ravnica. We decided to just buy it and see what it's like. Since then it became our ritual to buy a few packs of Mtg every friday we went home from school. This went on until we bought out everything they had, which were ravnica and 9th edition packs/boxes. I still remember how excited I was when I bought two packs and opened a Loxodon Hierarch in one and Serra angel in another.

Favourite colors are Selesnya colors and mono-red.

My favourite card is:

[​IMG]

Nowadays I don't play much though, just attend the occasional draft.

Thonskie likes this.
  16. Gaverion

Gaverion I need me some PIE!

noticed someone mention mana burn, they actually took mana burn out of the game >_>

17. Authyrtyr

And this one from Journey into Nyx
    [​IMG]

18. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

I mostly play Legacy format (gg wallet) and this is the card I use most often with all its various rage-filled combos/workarounds:

[​IMG]

I bet you can all guess what my main Legacy deck is now

As for EDH, this always makes anything (read Ornithopter, Storm Crow, any weakling with Shadow) hilarious to end games with:

[​IMG]

:p

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  19. AmmonReros

I have one player in my regular group who hates hatred. because I killed him turn 4-5 with it 4 times already :D
    And it has almost always been a topdeck after my first attempt.

It is in my Teysa EDH. And only there. Else I'd make more people rage and I dont really want that.
    [​IMG]
    The deck itself revolves aroudn exiling everything your opponent could possibly use. Except for the library.

20. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

Why exile or kill units when you can remove them from the game? #Death&Taxes

Why do the above in equal exchange? #KarakasMangara #FlickerwispOfCoronodor