Seism just showcases how horribly broken banners are

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BurnPyro, Sep 12, 2016.

1. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

Except it never comes down to that? Were you forced to deploy it as soon as it shows in your rune dock would give space for that argument, but that is not the case.

How much your 'bad' decisions cost should never be part of the assessment.

2. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

make banners 21hp ?

3. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

An interesting thought

They used to be, I'm assuming Sok recently changed it to accommodate to seism in the first place.

JellyBerry and SPiEkY like this.
  4. NiGhtMaRiK

NiGhtMaRiK I need me some PIE!

Is this thread more against banners and relishing in the necessary evil of Seism to combat them?
    Rage against an historic auto-include? Which is interesting because I feel there are plenty of those since the dawn.
    Discussion on banners offering too much power for not enough cost?

Trying to get the main focus of discussion here, and the general angst.

I feel Banners are fine and I quite enjoy my extra HP and almost negligible dmg. To be honest the dmg only interests me in moments I haven't put it down already and I wonder if the +1 will add to a kill.
    I don't see why it shouldn't effect summons. If banner got hit, summons would need another overhaul because some summons pretty much rely on banner to be useful at all.

I like the idea of individualizing banners to give flavor to the faction as if another 'font bonus' or 'faction bonus'.
    That would definitely drum up the cost however and I think an auto include relic you can use for contestion and spike stats for low cost is very useful and needed in the current game. So thats my one fear against such a move.

Avatars are pretty bland after the change. I wouldn't mind Banners Boost (5hp, +1 dmg) to be added to an active ability on the Avatar that cost 20 nora to use and persisted 4-6 turns with an 8 turn CD.
    That way you get your 'Banner' passive but it isn't as lasting and has constant upkeep.
    You could then re-identify each factions actual banner into a more flavorful cheap relic that gives a appropriate boost to the faction identity and needs.

5. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

I didn't miss the point, I replied to his. If you want to talk about BG diversity being reduced because of banners, then it's not a matter of nerfing them, because they'll either be too good for FF or unrunnable. Just think of Loyalty and Regal Presence.

badgerale likes this.
  6. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Because there's a major difference being an on-deploy, one-time effect that deals a fixed amount of damage to one RELIC and an ability that was AE8 on a low CD and can kill an almost unlimited amount of relevant CHAMPIONS from difference sources.

Heck, I am not even sure calling Seism a "hard counter" makes sense. That seems like being quite generous with the definition of hard counter.

Aside from the scale and scope of the counter, keep in mind also a few differences between relics and champions - forward deploy relics (the type that Seism will likely hit), quite often, will have accomplished their goal right after deploy - but champions take some time before they pay for themselves.

Hope that makes more sense now as to why they are treated differently - at least to my mind they are extremely different.

~

On the other hand, if Seism was:
    1. When this unit is deployed, all relics are destroyed.
    2. AE8: Relics within 8 spaces are destroyed (CD3).
    Then yea, I think your point would be valid.

~

Seism is more along the lines of Raven Tongue/Ritual/Reclaim series. And those are "allowed to exist."

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  7. Sokolov

It was less to accommodate Seism as to standardize relic HP with a few exceptions because the HP was just all over the place and often quite arbitrary.

Note that Traps were standardized to 15 HP.

8. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Here's the thing about banners. We all have them so they aren't a problem.

And seism is really damn easy to play around

9. Sokolov

As for Banners, yea, they are strong. They are meant to be strong for FF. I understand some of the arguments for adjusting them, but I also don't think it's much of an issue/priority at this time.

Tweek516, Anima26, Fentum and 2 others like this.
  10. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Alright I'll bite

If everyone has X which is broken, but Y that counters X is only availeble to a few, is X balanced?

And I'm sure everyone can play around seism because everyone's got dispensable relics?

Easy plays, easy games.

11. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

Make a bunch of war banners but race dependent, so they are fine in themes but less so in meta or split abuse bullshit

Capitulator likes this.
  12. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

banners are kind of meh at this point to me,
    I do believe FF should have a bit of an advantage, , if not only for the rune pool selection, then lorewise at least (an army of dwarves aren't really gonna work well with there demonic allies).but the bonus seems negated with auto the include status of giving up slot.
    the fac bonus doesnt really hurt the splits, in fact its sometimes even better. so other then the banner,, theres not much,, and even then splits can take advantage of the banner if the split bg favors 1 of the facs champ wise.
    I dont love siesm, but it can be worked around,, and when it destroys one of my relics, it doesnt affect me as much as when its the banner,,
    id like to see banner phased out , freeing up a slot,, and an actual buff toward playing FF.

13. Braxzee

Braxzee I need me some PIE!

If your BG is relic based the odds are seism is not going to be too effective in destroying your important relics like chopping blocks and so on. You can find ways to trick some one in using seism on the wrong relic or plan for it. Plus the cool downs on relics are pretty fast any ways. Using Seism against a FW BG dropping down relics is going to be very costly and not a very good counter to that BG. I do not see how SEISM is even a viable counter to relics. Yeah I destroyed bone mine...oh no I am fighting more skeletons now.

14. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Ok, thats a good explanation.
    Thanks.

15. serxic

serxic I need me some PIE!

This theme love to META SPLIT PLAYERS. Buff Splits, Nerf heros,avatars,banners!!!!!.
    The unique buff is regrets the use of many split heros in a deck, still 1 is ruining kannen , choose between kiergana or garin is the problem

16. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

UD is kill or die!

MEATMAN likes this.
  17. Sokolov

@PhdNiceGuy

Re: Time Slip

The entire point of that discussion (and discussions like that, in general) is to solicit high level ideas to see if there was anything interesting that would replace the current implementation. The point of brainstorming in that manner is to get a bunch of ideas to see what direction we might go in. It's always weird to me when people get hung up at this stage of the a discussion like that.

~

Speaking of Council, important thread in there right now :)

~

Also, some of your feedback is confusing and seems dependent on whether you just lost a game. Sometimes you tell me I should focus on bugs and not do balance changes because it's largely ok, other times you seem to think to seem the game is beyond screwed balance wise so much so you can't even play and suggesting large-scale changes.

But yea, I would agree it seems your tolerance for things is much lower of late (and I do agree with your annoyance regarding bugs, which is why we have put so much resources towards them lately, but it seems like it barely makes a dent), tho I am not sure "few times I've tried to sit down and play" is accurate considering you do have a decent amount of games in September :D

Also, nerf Price of Victory?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    Anima26 and Tweek516 like this.
  18. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

i like time slip in farming decks, not so much with a blitz champ.

19. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Spill the beans sokobro

20. Sokolov

Oh, absolutely, I am not suggesting that it isn't a normal reaction. It's just hard for me to tell what is "I think this should be changed" vs not.