Seism just showcases how horribly broken banners are

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BurnPyro, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I've been here a long time, and honestly, summons are so much weaker now than they used to be. They used to contest, have spell presence, could be buffed significantly more (see old Boost), had less counters, dealt more damage, had more HP, had more powerful synergistic interactions, etc. Summons have been directly and indirectly nerfed almost continuously in the history of this game.

And at every stage of nerfs, the only time Summons haven't been complained about is when the themes that have a lot of summons aren't popular.

Granted, some things have made Summons stronger too and of course you can argue some new summon runes are OP in of themselves, but I think, on net, summons as a mechanic are as weak as they have ever been, but continue to be seen as a problem.

It's interesting to note that the original Boost champion was Boost: Skeleton. The whole point of Boost was, originally, to buff Summons, and now we have come to a point where part of the discussion is whether Boost should affect summoned units at all.

Gnomes and Woffleet like this.
  2. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

That is and interesting history. From your view why has this happened? and more importantly how do we end it?

3. Sokolov

I don't think it's something we can backtrack from, but in theory, if we could go back in time, one option would be to keep "Summons" as "Real." And not treat them as second class citizens and just price/design the abilities accordingly with the idea that they are as real as runedock champions.

This is not to say that the current direction is wrong, it's just that that is one direction we could take.

Fundamentally, it comes down to the fact that Pox is a tactics game, and not a card game, so "free units" is a whole different ballgame compared to say, tokens in MTG that can be massed killed/wiped off the board easily, and doesn't generate a lot of board presence the way our champions do, and so what has happened is a reasonable reaction based on the way Summon abilities were created/utilized.

~

But so much of the game has been changed with the idea of Summons being "sub-Champions" that this view should be embraced (otherwise it's an extremely large shake-up), and a large number of themes do have this type of summons as their core identity.

4. Woffleet

My thoughts exactly. Honestly I like how summons function as a core identity of many themes such as zombies. They are a cool mechanic! :)

5. Nastyhobo

Nastyhobo The King of Potatoes

HP stacking is and has been a problem for a long time. We should really stop saying "Hey, this is how unbalanced the game used to be so you think its bad now?" when discussing balance because its self defeating and redundant. You say summons were worse in the past, yet there are far more ways to summon free meat then there were in the past and they keep getting added. When is global HP stacking going to cause diminishing returns relative to the individual champs nora cost? You are effectively hyper scaling every single champ in your bg when you have globally stacking HP/Nora ratios upwards of 1:1 and that problem is extremely evident when you take into context free summoned champions. If it was free to summon onto the field, it should have a significantly reduced benefit from massive hp boosts. Also you talk about other abilities that boost stats, yet why is it that every single ability that boosts HP is global? This will ALWAYS create problems. That's what I think and thats all I'll say..

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    Woffleet likes this.
  6. Sokolov

That's because when HP buffs weren't global (which wasn't that long ago), it was creating a lot of situations where you had to meticulously move individual units in a specific order to avoid moving out of the AE or else killing your own champions. It was idiotic to play with. It was one of the specific issues players wanted addressed when we were revamping the stat buff abilities series.

I also don't think there's a particular compelling argument as to why it'll ALWAYS create problems - that's exactly the kind of argument I am arguing against. Nothing is without context.

But of course global introduces different considerations.

Woffleet likes this.
  7. Sokolov

You misunderstand the point. The point of referencing how things used to be is to give us context of where abilities came from and provide comparison points and to facilitate discussions.

prymusedek and Woffleet like this.
  8. Sokolov

Of course there are more - the game is constantly adding content - there is, on average, going to be more of EVERYTHING.

Just because there are more doesn't mean they are better or more prevalent. Those things are on different axis. The question is whether summons are more effective than before, and whether they are too effective now and what that means. On the case, the point of mentioning Boost: Skeleton is that Stat Stacking with Summons was the original design - whether that was a good idea or not is another question, but I was asked about the historical context of Summons and that is the context - that was how the original designers of Boost intended it to interact with Summons.

That said, I DO think that a number of the new summon abilities are actually more efficient at generating summons than old ones, at least in terms of numbers (though I'd argue the summons themselves are still much weaker) - but the only reason they are allowed to do that now is because of the weaker nature of the summons themselves and the decreased ways of interaction.

9. Sokolov

In this context, it's important that abilities that interact with summons are generally specifically designed to do so, and assumed to do so - and abilities like Riftwalker would be stronger if it wasn't for the fact that it is intended to be able to be used on Summons.

Woffleet likes this.
  10. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

I feel like a lot of these complaints would stop showing up if one of these was considered:
    - Surge: X abilities stop counting summons
    - Bulwark: X abilities stop counting summons
    - Boost: X abilities stop counting summons

Usually the summons become an issue when one of these three gets abused or when they're all out together. Removing one of these from the equation could be a fairly interesting experiment, but the question is: is it worth trying out?

Anima26 likes this.
  11. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

Voil have access to all 3 of these and tons of summons, they really have too much going on.

12. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

In the interest of pure chaos I am going to throw a possibly bad idea out there.

Get rid of the current banner idea. Next we get rid of faction bonuses. Then the current banners gain the current faction bonuses.

So the IS banner now causes your units to take 6 less damage from spells.
    Next we add more banners to the game that are Theme specific. So there might be a Northern Cross Warbanner for Paladins or a Brewery for Dwarves.
    Decks are only allowed to have 1 Warbanner so you have to choose what banner to use.

Tweek516, MEATMAN, Etherielin and 5 others like this.
  13. phdstax

phdstax Active Member

Yes

14. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

Neat idea.

15. Woffleet

Beautiful idea! Honestly wow! this really opens up a ton of design space.

16. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

the fac bonus in a banner?
    interesting. ..
    but if its drawn late game wouldnt it nullify it potential ...a bit?or (preordained? )
    also,,, if seism is a problem now , imagine........or..21hp banner?
    could work.

17. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

It does indeed create more "crutches" but since you can only include one it could potentially create more decisions. Just purely hypothetically (Dont kill me ST players) what if Ice Shard became the warbanner for the "Frost Theme" and got +1 HP and was only 20 Nora. ST players would have to decide between +10 HP on all their units or an easy +20% frost damage. Also since you cant have both Provincial Marker and Ice Shard you just freed up a deck slot.

Woffleet likes this.
  18. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

The idea is nice but I can't imagine FW or KF working without their faction bonus. What about them?

Tweek516 and Woffleet like this.
  19. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

What are you on about? Trying to make relics Seism-proof?

Woffleet likes this.
  20. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Really depends. I dont have a well fleshed out concept for every theme but I am pretty sure there are plenty of FW players that would give up their CD reduction if they got something equally strong back for their theme. Lich players could have something that effected spells or Phylacteries.

KF is a little more difficult because speed is such an important part of all of their themes. But I am sure there are effects that could flavorfully appeal to to specific themes over their current bonus. And if they wanted the old one they just include the KF banner and get it there.

Woffleet likes this.