Current ST power could do with some trimming.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GoldTiger, Feb 7, 2017.

1. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

The most recent overwatch patch hit a week or so ago. Before that the possibly most ideal lineup was:

Rein (tank)
    Ana (sup)
    Lucio (sup)
    Zarya (tank)
    Road (tank)
    Soldier. (dps)

This lineup included 1 DPS, 3 Tanks, and 2 supports. While there were some minor changes to road, the only champion who was nerfed was Ana. Among other changes her grenade heal boost was reduced from 100%, to 50% and the duration from 5s to 4s, the difference of a few hundred or so HP of heals over many seconds, however not a HUGE change. This meta was known as the Tank meta, and another culprit D.Va was running rampant in place of road sometimes, however she wasn't in the preferred lineup most often.

Now I will mention that none of the champs that are meta now were buffed. Nor were the bulk of the old meta nerfed. Only D.Va (separate problem) and Ana was nerfed. The support was nerfed, and changed the meta from Triple Tank to Full Dive (squishy). To outline how wildly different the champion lineup dive includes:
    Ana (sup)
    Lucio (sup)
    Winston (tank)
    Genji/tracer (dps)
    Genji/tracer/soldier/pharah/reaper (dps)
    x (current trend is another DPS though zarya is also decent).
    The picks aren't certain because after all it is a fresh meta, however...

WOW A WHOLE NEW META THAT WASNT SEEN BEFORE PLAYERS MAKE UP YOUR MINDS.

All it took was the change of a heal buff (not even the primary or most consistent heal) from 100% to 50% to completely shake up the meta. Sure if D.Va remained the same it wouldn't have had quite the same impact, however D.Va wasn't the main driver of this meta that has been semi-prominent since Ana was introduced to the game and hasn't become what all the players are playing hurr durr until now.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

My contention is that I don't think enough games really get played to generate the full effect this would have, not that meta doesn't exist in games at all.

And of course SOMETHING is always on top, that's obvious.

~

Part of the reason illusions are being complained about is ALSO because thered came back and has played a ton of games with the deck, which wasn't true last patch. And there are plenty of things players could do to adapt their decks if they wanted to but most people don't.

Tweek516 likes this.
  3. GoldTiger

Also it's not as though snowspinner wasn't extremely powerful last patch and everyone 'forgot' or something. We were complaining about it in game for sure, ulfheobar spanked me many times with a vothsair ireguard snowpsinner. We both thought it was getting nerfed for sure but it didn't, because it didn't have a 'nerf thread'. So here it is and I hate it as much as you do.

Also notice how I didn't label the faction OP, or a huge list of runes such as the usual kento or bge as you said I did just earlier, but instead one rune I thought was the culprit that exacerbated the strengths of all other runes beyond their intended reach for little cost. Similar was the case for UD, where I was almost certain UD would be garbage without BE and sok wasn't convinced. What do you know I was right about that one (garbage is hyperbole yes). But it was just a guess you know yours is as good as mine since we both don't know how to play the game apparently.

4. GoldTiger

Gemma, who is in the top 20 right now, played the exact same deck to little effect. Did you not read anything I said.

Also the same thing could be said for the meta in ANY PRO GAMES. HURR DURR there are only 10 teams in a league there is no meta only 15 matches get played!!!! Lool

5. Sokolov

UD is garbage now?

6. Sokolov

Gemma plays significantly less games.

7. Sokolov

This has nothing to do with what I said. HRUR DXHNDA DURDFEDR

8. GoldTiger

Hyperbole yes, ofcourse its still viable just as all factions now. But it is right now the 6th,7th or 8th faction depending on who you ask. That's classified as 'garbage' when complaining over the forum yes. You would know if you played sok.

9. GoldTiger

I don't see what this has to do with anything the BG was garbo (Hyperbole yes) and would get stomped by old SP dreamcrusher, old constructs (the IS bonus wins the game automatically), and old UD rush. Idk how you can argue against that.

10. Sokolov

Remember the Hunter/Trample deck that was all the rage the day after the expansion and got raged on really hard? In less a week most people stopped playing it and thus no one cared anymore. It didn't get adjusted at all for months and literally no one cared.

The point is that we don't have enough players for the meta to get fully explored/developed between each patch, thus while the meta obviously has some impact, it is not the same as in games where you get a larger variety of players. Instead, as soon as BE got banned - a bunch of UD players STOPPED PLAYING IMMEDIATELY. It's possible they are right and it's not worth playing UD without it, but it's also possible they just didn't give it enough of a chance. That's my point.

Tweek516 likes this.
  11. Sokolov

It matters because how many people complain about runes is directly related to how people see and play against the deck, which, in Pox's case, has to do with WHO is active as much as WHAT is actually OP.

I am NOT arguing against the existence of a meta effect, I just think that in Pox's case it is not necessarily the primary component of what gets complained about. I don't know why you are misrepresenting my argument.

Tweek516 likes this.
  12. GoldTiger

Never played vs that deck however did play against double/triple hunter triple/quadruple aura BGs and they were pretty silly I agree but luckily they were fixed. Anyways unless it was a double hunter trample I assume SL would destroy that combo (meta) and IS structs would have too no?

Also I've vsed UD before the patch and after the patch. I was certain that the only reason (Not the only one, again hyperbole) I lost to UD pre-patch was BE. Now it's post patch and the games are literally EZ mode. I mean how do they win you just out manoeuvre all of their champions they're all fat and slow. I don't think it's because all the UD players jumped ship that UD is bad.

13. Sokolov

It was Broodlord with multiple Hunters, with Tranfusion just dealing 8-12 damage per step and killing everything on the board. As far as I was aware, very few matchups were bad for that deck and the players playing it simply got bored and stopped.

14. GoldTiger

Because you are misrepresenting my argument, and I'm the one complaining about the rune so you have to understand mine first I believe.

This bit right here:
    "I am NOT arguing against the existence of a meta effect, I just think that in Pox's case it is not necessarily the primary component of what gets complained about"
    If thered played in the last patch no one would complain, as did people when gemma played. The deck simply wasn't good enough to beat the best, which was what everyone was complaining about.

I thought I didn't need to make a complaint thread on the forum about snowspinner to get some attention to it, because people were complaining about it. The only reason I'm making one now, is because I thought it was getting nerfed last patch but it didn't. So here we are.

15. Sokolov

That's my point though right? Remember the UD thread? It ultimately wasn't just complaining about BE - it was complaining about a dozen runes in UD. I ban ONE rune and it's "fixed." That was my point, that these threads often devolve into "nerf EVERYHING GOOD" when there's no justification for it.

16. GoldTiger

I said the only problem in UD was BE. Because it exacerbated the intended effects of runes beyond their intended synergies and roles. Similar to snowspinner no? Which I have singled out. CoT is just something that's old and needs change. I don't know why I'm labelled with the masses of idiots here, much like some of the others who replied to this thread.

17. Sokolov

In what way am I misrepresenting it? I am disagreeing that the meta effect is the primary reason why players in general complain.

Instead, I believe that most players complain about stuff they happen to play against, more so than what's actually good.

18. Sokolov

Who labelled you? I am literally arguing against the "it's the meta" argument, and I never called you an idiot or anything. I don't know why you suddenly became so hostile.

19. Sokolov

That would be because it got nerfed already back in July last year after the initial round of complaints against Snow Shroud (and more broadly speaking ST in general), and it wasn't until the new year that I heard complaints about the rune again - which you attribute to UD being nerfed and meta shifts - which I think certainly contributes, but IMO it's more likely because a couple ST players came back, including calisk.

20. Sokolov

I am super confused by these last couple pages.

I thought we were just having an interesting discussion the impact of the meta shifts on the game of PoxNora.