Favorite runes/combos that are now shoebox/unavailable

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ballballer, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

Please no stupidly op runes/combos that were banned or nerfed to their present state for the *integrity* of the game.
    So no temple of brutality, possession+repurpose, etc.

One of my favorite runes that is now shoeboxed was voil kings crypt. It was definitely op, but before I really took over SP people mainly ran it with sciean for a surprise swarm via warcry on the baby bat (warcry used to give 3 ap). I took a completely different route and just plopped it near my shrine for a virtually guaranteed 3 bats with swarm. it cost 65 nora and meant that I got 3 bats staggered out over 9 rounds.

In nerfing it, they reduced the amount of bats you get from 3 to 2, and they gutted the actual bats themselves (hilariously enough). With the proliferation of anti-summon abilities and seism, a 65 nora relic that gives 2 bats with 6 dmg, 36 hp, and no upgrades over 6 rounds is not exactly viable.

Another fun story, auras used to technically count as attacks, so aura swarming was possible. Back when I ran that crazy SP deck with cyclonic feshes and overcharged golems (the Vets will remember), I used to throw grant: electric aura from my cyclonic feshes to my baby bats for swarms.

They then changed auras so that aura swarming no longer worked, but I figured out a workaround. To get an aura to once again proc as an attack for a turn, you had to attack with the champ who had the aura on the turn you wanted it to swarm. Pulled that one out vs Devilsrath for a surprise swarm and he was very very unhappy.

Let me know your favorite stuff that is no longer viable puhlease

2. xaznsoulx

xaznsoulx Supreme Dream Team 夢想 隊

borghas--->ember wasp--->imp familiar flame charge--->fire blast = dead shrine . Credit to Caine and wyrguild, one of the original UD players.

3. Elves Rule

Elves Rule I need me some PIE!

Tanglefoot with flurry was really fun to deal hundreds of dmg in one turn.
    Obviously, it was rather bullshit and so flurry disappeared.
    Unfortunately tanglefoot kept it's 6dmg and 5spd.

guokamoli54 likes this.
  4. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I liked when Retribution still gave Stitched Remains. It was definitely OP, but it allowed me to just cycle any slightly weak stitched for a fresh one while also doing huge damage, as long as I had a reconstuctor out.

5. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Back when genesis lich first released he had grant: Death nova fire. I made a BG devoted to blowing up voidhowlers & getting easy swarms. note that void howl spawns are real too.

Without death nova fire i have no way to sacrifice on demand.

This was also fun with Bone circle archmage to setup chain explosions via bone prison 2x grant death nova then ritual of destruction. Hell even bile zombie got a bit of use in that deck.

guokamoli54 likes this.
  6. poxrooster

poxrooster The Pox Chameleon

SOTM with Darkmarsh Staff, Garu Medium with Premonition, and Backfire. This essentially made SOTM invincible.

7. themacca

laughs in dead magic zone

Etherielin, Gnomes, Morfeas and 2 others like this.
  8. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Geomancer makes me cry but I secretly think he is quite runable.

guokamoli54, Woffleet and Morfeas like this.
  9. themacca

agreed, you dont need to be single handedly capable of wiping the board to be worth using

10. Pimplepopperhasthejuice

Pimplepopperhasthejuice The King of Potatoes

an easy and simple FW combo - Soul Siren w/relocate foe (relocate put opposing champ next to her instead of 2 spaces away}, sonic aura + Crypt Guardian w/immune sonic, Relocate relic, relic guardian

Ethereal Soldier + Nether Wraith w/ cant remember the name of the ability but it would turn ethereal back to useable form

11. Nite2kill

Nite2kill I need me some PIE!

It was called Solidify - prevents Incorporeal and you forgot Warcry on Siren

12. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

Garin + staff of ascendance RIP in peace.

13. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Banish and Nora Drain

guokamoli54 and SPiEkY like this.
  14. ProR2D2

ProR2D2 I need me some PIE!

Elder Murkwurm ---> monsoon ---> Dive 3 surprise ---> Quicken ---> Cleave ---> Dragonfear spam ---> Judgement ---> 1 turn kill everything win.

RIP :(

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  15. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

I really wish the Maulers from Tribe War didn't get Skirmisher. One-rounding the enemy shrine with with double Enslave + Quickening was too much fun.

SPiEkY likes this.
  16. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

Seeping Nora + dusk creeper

17. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

Dwarves King + Heavy Crossbow

SPiEkY likes this.
  18. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

Imp + Helm of Chaos

Ember Wasp + Hatching Seasonx2 + Awaken Brood + Price of Victory

19. Pimplepopperhasthejuice

Pimplepopperhasthejuice The King of Potatoes

Thanks - Warcry it would be nice to have that ability once more

20. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

When we still had the old leveling system where any champ could be 100 Nora. And we played grimlic mirror +clayform on : angle , or the old eternal lich where you could just have them never die because of the palactry or my favorite, the old timber woolves. In general all the old grim/clayform shinnanigans.