Witch deck

Discussion in 'Forsaken Wastes' started by Mister Tuggles, Jan 20, 2015.

1. jsat

jsat The King of Potatoes

Roger, agreed. Compared to other FW she is robust, but that isn't saying...anything. Very cool rune though.

Problem with imp isn't just backload in early turns, it is that the issue is punishing at all times. It is never really the case that FW is ahead until it has near inevitability, if we are struggling at turn 35 this is still a bad deploy. Interesting idea would be for the cooldown to be lower at later turns to make it something of a tide turner.

2. Mister Tuggles

Mister Tuggles I need me some PIE!

Short Lived 2 or 3, remove the skill, give the stats. Problem solved.

3. jsat

jsat The King of Potatoes

hahaha. Alternative could look like stealth on base, shadowspawned etc so he can be a contester or similar prior to activation? Any other ideas?

4. Mister Tuggles

That would increase his cost significantly, wouldn't it? Maybe increase his base speed to 6, turn elsari dusk to 10hp, 5dmg, and 2speed. His speed in the beginning seems to be the biggest hindrance to running it. 5 speed is just god awful, and the reason a lot of runes get shoeboxed.
    I would also LOVE to see him lose undead/boon of undead. Main problem with running on a witch deck is the undead thing. Witches aren't really viable without foul rite. They are costly, and squishy. **start KF rant** Had a Cloven Claw get one rounded from 9 tiles away from 3 attacks (not magic either).

Hell, maybe put "Boost:Witch" on it as witch familiars are supposed to increase their owner's power? AMIRITE?

5. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

I'd like to see imp lose undead after all if he is ran in a foul rite bg he gets killed. Also he's an imp or demon not an undead, and his surge cursed only fits in a witch bg.

6. super71

Just realized you just said that about him losing undead my bad.

7. Querthose

Querthose The King of Potatoes

Yeah it's the CD. Right now it's effectively a 6 round CD. The 5 AP required to activate the ability basically kills off a turn by itself.

It would be interesting to see the CD reduced based on the number of witches and/or cursed enemies out. Solid synergy while still making it a usable unit in mid-to-late deploys.

8. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

Iv been playing witches as competently as possible ever since they got buffed in that patch,the one where worms also got some buffs.I even managed to beat limited league meta decks,like kf,few times with a bit of luck and an asspull or two.

Witches dont depend on foul rite and can do fine without it.They are squishy but if play properly you can deal with that.The 10 hp bonus from banner and commander helps a lot.The use of proper positioning,debuffs and counting ap is very important.

One of most powerful aspect of witches is that by using elsari coven and witching hour you can gain a 2 speed advantage and ability to heal a massive amount of hp,as long as you can keep your witches alive.The long range,drudgery,debuffs and spells like chains of corruption and dead zone voodoo makes this strategy viable.The most important ability is pain curse.If you for example have 4 witches and your opponent has 4 cursed champions,and you have witching hour buff and you cast pain curse you can heal a possible 48 hp(12 each).If you have 2 witching hours in your bg you can keep it on constantly and its worth casting when you have atleast 3 witches.

Use long range and ap control to skirmish with your opponent and try to avoid power turns and just focus on dealing damage and taking damage(but avoid getting one rounded) and heal with revel in misery.Because of good range,alt damage and decent speed you can also do strong powerturns with essence drain/soulbane/mobi.Hourglass relic is also very cheap for how much ap/damage it can provide.

You can ask me if you need any advice on playstyle or upgrades or you can play against me to see how witches work in action.
    This is what i currently run,i still havent cped everything and gotten all runes i need so its not as strong as it can be,but its decent:

elsari coven.jpg

Alkioneus and jsat like this.
  9. Mister Tuggles

@Sokolov Can we get more elasari coven as a base on more witches? There are a lot of auto-includes that either have it tucked away in upgrade paths, or that lack it entirely. Much like undead usually have boon of the undead, I think ALL witches should have elasari coven tacked on. Makes it hard to attempt split faction decks when it is not on a lot of the "good" runes.

10. Netherzen

That would be a bad move because you need only one witch with elsari coven to affect all enemy champions and if several witches become 5 nora more expensive they will become less efficient,having several champions with elsari coven doesnt get any bonus,one is enough because the effect is per witch,and not per a champion with elsari coven.

11. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

I still think coven needs to have a small benefit for the witch that has it. Otherwise as soon as a second witch with coven is out, it's a waste.

12. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

Also, how does the Coven Claw play?

Looking at her I can't see what her purpose is other than making the enemy spend another attack killing the unit she summoned.

13. Mister Tuggles

8 speed with good HP and damage when in shadow domain. Able to throw down dmz with each attack. Etc

IMO she is a top tier unit in witch deck.

14. Makorov

Makorov I need me some PIE!

What are some of the best ways to generate dead magic zones?

15. D4rkSteel

D4rkSteel I need me some PIE!

Despoil is pretty good.

16. Netherzen

Shadestrike(especially against 2x2 units),haunt and despoil.

17. XFurionsX

XFurionsX I need me some PIE!

Despoil is x2 auto on witch decks right now, it increase the DMZ with the turns and captures the nora globes, wich is my favorite.

18. MakarovJAC

MakarovJAC I need me some PIE!

19. Shimaru

Shimaru Devotee of the Blood Owl

Wow, finally someone agrees with me, after like... huh... 3 freaking years!

Tortun bokor is a fairly interesting rune. Is heck expensive, but cursed treasure works with soul collection and despoil, iirc, so in the now fixed elsari coven environment, it procs more often, and deals a fair amount of damage over time. Also, banditry is nice to have now that we lack some other sources of nora. Soul collection on the magelord and bokor used to cover the absence of unholy tomb, but that's no longer the case, so it kind of sucks. Anyway, the bokor is also fairly sturdy (for a witch), and with revel in misery on demand, he can tank quite a bit if the need arises.

Talking about, @yobanchi any chance the bokor could go to melee and get pistol shot among their abilities? It's a pirate carrying... a machete thing... on the sprite and artwork, how is ranged?

20. super71

I've been playing witches the last few days and the only time i can find a win is on a huge map. Sorry but a bunch of 4-6 ranged champs with low hp no defense and some sort of vulnerability just aren't viable enough right now. They can't stop the talgars and the super ranged champs that other factions seem to have.

Dark enchantress at its lowest costs 73 nora
    for 1 range a posess and thats all

Angel of mercy costs at its lowest
    70 nora for a later 8 damage 7 ranged 4 def improve range or for 73 nora cleansing aura

I just don't see how witches are supposed to compete with this stuff in any way shape or form.

Any advice would be good thanks

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    Nite2kill likes this.