popularity contest aka <C>ouncil

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by only, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

You have nailed it Xiape 100 fictional forum points. We are looking for people who will represent the factions and represent split factions that include that one faction.

SavageFang and DarkJello like this.
  2. kilo

kilo New Member

I think this is a wonderful idea.

As the old saying goes, all politics are local. This is no different. The success or failure will depend on the quality of the individual involved.

Since the number of people involved will be ~8, I have a high degree of confidence that the individuals selected will be rational enough to add value to DOG's development process.

Look, I'm a product manager for a software firm. It can not be underestimated the value of gathering feedback from customers. Believe me on that. Ultimately, though, it's a sourcing mechanism. Keep in mind that the <C> won't be involved in the filtering part. Therefore as long as DOG does a great job structuring the conversation around a sourcing process rather than filtering, this will be nothing but a success.

For more info on the filtering-vs-sourcing dynamic, take a look at a little article I wrote about it: http://krisgosser.com/product/#wide-narrow

Zenity and DarkJello like this.
  3. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

+100

4. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

Realistically, one cannot expect a player council to contain only players who play all factions. Just because a player favors one faction over another doesn't automatically make them biased. For example, I play mostly IS, but I'm still capable of taking a step back and looking at things objectively. If IS needs nerfs, I'm perfectly willing to campaign for them, provided they are reasonable. I think people are under the impression that it is easy to be 100% objective and not have any favoritism whatsoever. This cannot be further from the truth, and even if you happen to find players who never stick to one faction, they are STILL going to be biased in some way. Basically, you're putting unrealistic expectations on fallible individuals.

Furthermore, the players chosen should not be expected to look at every aspect of the game when making decisions; they should only be expected to know THEIR faction, as well as hold a general knowledge about what would be good for game balance based on current and future mechanics. It would be like asking a doctor to hop up on a unicycle and start juggling balls like a clown. Why would you ever ask a doctor do to that when you could be asking a professional clown? I think the OP (and a few other people in this thread) are simply butthurt over not getting votes cast for them; people are making this out to be a popularity contest, while the devs are simply looking for some help from individuals knowledgeable about their factions. Only, in particular, used to be on the previous player council back when SOE had control of the game. Now that the owls are starting it up again and allowing the community to choose its representatives, only (and others) are angered by the fact that they might not have a chance to run the show anymore.

In the end, it all comes down to who can provide the most informative opinions about the faction they represent, free from as much bias as possible. Nothing else matters here, nor should it. People have it in their minds that this is indeed some sort of popularity contest, when in reality they can't own up to the fact that they're upset over not being in the spotlight.

5. Nemorga

Nemorga I need me some PIE!

Yes. He. Was.

6. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

I think it's a great idea, why not alleviate the work load on the owl a bit, I'm all for helping out anyway I can, and I have buffs/nerfs in mind for my faction. I'm thinking people are assuming that we're just going to make our factions insanely op, which isn't the case we only put in out 2cents and then the owls make an informative decision it's not like mena is going to get range 1-30 with 100 dmg under this system. Y'all are so stuck on things being corrupt when is present in the modern real world, but this is a game...

DarkJello likes this.
  7. only

only Active Member

please. since wall of text is based on absurdly inaccurate accusions, I have to say that if you really believe the case here is me being butthurt for some reason, then you simply have no clue regarding to this thread.

as you guys say: in no way, shape or form I expect anything like me in council.

anger and butthurt? please...

8. Greysands22

Greysands22 I need me some PIE!

Let me just clarify my previous statement so it doesn't look like I am objecting for the sake of objecting.

The <C>
    KF: Xirone/ Karmavore
    FS: Taylor/Only
    FW: BansheeX/ Yobanchi
    IS: Baskitkase/ Markoth
    SP: DMrBadguy/ Ballballer / Neil (this one is not as straight forward cause SP and they are weirdos)
    ST: Warfoot/ Rodin
    UD: Badgerale/ Sepulcher
    SL: Burnpyro/ Dagda

This is how it is going to end up. You might as well just stop the whole farce right now.

Now I have nothing against any of these guys, they are all good players and surely know a lot. But I think a major problem here, which is the same as the old PDC under SOE is that you are now balancing the game around Limited League pros. We are talking about players that have mastered this game. These players play vs each other at the top ranks of the game.

Correct me if I am wrong but the whole idea of the overhaul is to bring everything back down in complexity. What might seem cumbersome and absolutely OP to an average player is more of a "meh" thing at the top. I mean we've all heard things like "that might work in rare league" or "that bg can't get you past exo league"

This might not be a problem if the devs are only looking to avoid accidental interactions the kinds that end up in an ipox bg, but if you are only listening to the players at the top you aren't really sampling the community as a whole. That's why I made the comparison to Corpse becoming the lead designer, they took a top level player and then he balanced the game around a top level player's wet dream and it drove everyone away.

Just my 2 cents and a word of caution about this. Again these are all fine players and certainly do have the pox knowledge but be careful considering the ultimate goal is to push pox in a more NUX friendly direction.

Kampel and Zenity like this.
  9. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

So we should try to balance Pox around sub-optimal players, and/or BGs, and/or skillz, and/or rune collections?????

Is this the Twilight Zone?

[​IMG]

10. only

only Active Member

I wonder what's the reasoning behind Markoth, Sepulcher and Rodin. these persons might be wonderful human being and former long term (skilled) players, but they didn't play the game for last 2-3 years or so. what do you expect from them? this is the question not just for you, but for people voting for them.

for KF, I would definitely choose TheNidhogg over those two. since he actually visits forums (unlike Zorbot) and mains other full faction (SL) so it's like win-win.

Kampel likes this.
  11. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Markoth made some great rune suggestions, that counts for me.

12. Greysands22

Not at all.

All I'm saying is certain things can be easily overlooked.

What might be OP to beginners is considered par for the course at the top. Conversely things that could be seen as acceptable for top level players can come across as unfair or broken to newer people.

The best example I can think off right now is perseverance, most people try to add things like auras or withering fern etc to counter it, while a newer player is going to wonder why instead of dying that champ he tried to kill life siphoned back up to full HP next turn.

It's not about perseverance as an ability but rather how things are perceived by different people.

As far as I can tell this overhaul is about removing many abilities off pretty much every champion, pretty much across the board nerfing everything...

Just saying that these things need to be taken into account from the POV of pox lifers AND the POV of a guy who has never played this game before.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
    Kampel likes this.
  13. Greysands22

Also all I did was go into the faction forums and count the top 2 in each thread don't crucify me over the list lol.

14. Bobzie

Bobzie The King of Potatoes

such a bad idea for voting , as it will only show popularity, most of the hated people of a certain faction are the top players of that certain faction. for all we know some certain zealots could vote someone to the hated faction they dont like and making that representative sabotage that certain faction.

why not dedicate a week of battleground battles for this council picking.

set a certain date, let the players who are really active and playing such factions battle it out for the council spot for 1 week, after one week the person who has the most points for a faction gets to be on the council.

incase the top player doesnt want to be in the council the 2nd one with the most points for that faction will be given that chance and so on and so forth till you get someone seated in that council spot for that certain faction.

having the players battle it out for the seat will show the dedication of that player rather than a popularity vote, or hell worse alt votes -_- " thats why polls were removed from the old forums" , also this will prove their knowledge and prowness to that faction seeing they were tested in actually using runes for that faction. thus also proving they had more playing time. its just like fliying a plane, they usually ask the flight hours one has thus knowing that person is experienced at flying.

15. RedDain

RedDain I need me some PIE!

First iteration of PDC worked very well.

16. RedDain

RedDain I need me some PIE!

Also, too... "vet and review" is not the same as "suggest and design" - DOG is making the runes and changes. PDC is looking at them, hopefully to find obvious and not-so-obvious problems, OP interactions, and silliness.

Greysands22, Qucas and DarkJello like this.
  17. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Just to be accurate, TheNidHogg has quite a few votes in KF. Also, I am not a top level player.:)

18. Xiape

Xiape I need me some PIE!

Woot (or is that Hoot?) -- Fictional forum points are the best kind.

19. Nebron

Nebron I need me some PIE!

Dear god I hope this is sarcasm...

20. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

20 more points for the Hoot!