So OFC Coalitions releases the day my finals week starts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by claydude5, May 10, 2015.

1. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

One bad apple doesn't spoil the whole bunch girl.

2. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

It's pretty hard to spoil a bunch of already-spoiled apples

3. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

mad bcuz spoiled

4. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Spoilt cuz appled

Qucas likes this.
  5. Rokkushun

Rokkushun Devotee of the Blood Owl

Don't you have to be advertising for there to be competition for advertising?

Can't say you were in a race if all you did was sit on the sidelines and all that.

BurnPyro likes this.
  6. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Dunno why we're pretending that Pox has competition in any shape or form. It's an island as far as all this "movies on fridays" and "other games" go.

If we're honest about the expansion, you want as much people checking out the content at the same time to increase, even if just for the moment, the illusion/idea that there's quite some people online that you can play against. You want people checking in after not playing for times and going "hey lotta people on guess I'll give Pox another go". Your best bet is a weekend. It's the only time during the whole week where EU and NA start to overlap a lot because people don't work and might stay up longer.

Pox isn't popular like anything on your list. Pox doesn't have an incredibly fluctuating playerbase as anything on your list. While they give insights in marketing, Pox should be treated as a unique product because it's is so insanely different both product and playerbase wise.

The bug argument has some merit. But than again, loads of bugs still exist as it is. While they are a huge deal, the launch date shouldn't be decided solely because of it. Make your people work on the weekend to deal with the hassle, give them time off afterwards. It's not a big deal, especially since I think all of you are working from home.

I disagree with the statement that for PoxNora, a friday or early weekend launch is not the best option.

Pedeguerra and VindraxIsMyHomie like this.
  7. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

tests are easy.

8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Pox absolutely has competition -- apparently a lot, actually, if the playerbase continues to shrink. Anything that might pull eyes away from the game is competition.

Still would think that a Friday/Weekend launch would make more sense.

9. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Yeah, this monday release was pretty mindblowing, I agree 100% with what BP said, even if releasing on the weekend meant only that there would be a higher chance for American/European players to play along.
    Unless you guys dont want the expansion to be a success, in which case: GGWP.

10. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

You'd be surprised. When I look at the user numbers over time, I can definitely tell when something big launched.

I don't disagree that there's merit to launching on a Friday. My point was largely that it is nowhere close to being a "no brainer." And I mention other things precisely because they more popular/successful which begs the question. The same underlying aspects of a Friday launch that might benefit Pox really benefits most products, so if Friday is such a "no brainer" why isn't everyone doing it?

This is one of the things that players have a specific viewpoint on, and while it is a definitely reasonable perspective, it doesn't necessarily translate.

So basically if the data consistently showed that Friday launches were the best, I'd be right there with you. In reality, my experience has been that the first expansion weekend (regardless of day of the week the expansion actually launched) hits similar population levels (not just for Pox, but in general).

Note: People already work weekends, so that's not really an argument.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  11. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I disagree. Pox loses players to itself, not other games. More players quit because the bugs/perceived balance/low playerbase, from what I've seen.

12. Sokolov

It's been a bit since I looked at it, but when I was at SOE and watching the concurrency numbers, I could always tell when a new game launched. Like when things like Skyrim launches, Pox numbers take a hit, and then climb back up.

13. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Those players come back.

I think he means to players who don't come back. Still, more players take breaks from Pox because of Pox and not because of Skyrim or whatnot.

14. Sokolov

Certainly true.

The retention trend for most games look like this:
    • Day 0 (Register/Hit Website/Download the Game): All players
    • Day 0 (Actually play your game): 50%
    • Day 7: 25%
    • Day 30: 10%
    • Day 60: 5%
    • etc.

15. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

For new players, certainly.

I'd be interested to see similar data for vets that return for expansions. Although that'd be hard to look up. Personally, I believe there's still huge potential with non-active vets. They have proven to be interested in financially supporting the game and playing it. Pretty much all you want from your playerbase. Reaching them however, different story.

16. Sokolov

SOE refused to give DOG back the user information (that Octopi originally sold to SOE along with the game), so there's almost no way to reach old players now other than word of mouth.

17. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

@Paladin you're one of the old guard, do you have any contact info for others?

18. DaisyDukeNukem

DaisyDukeNukem I need me some PIE!

@Sokolov, it wasn't so much refused as it was a legal issue. Gotta love Corporate law.. ;)

19. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Refused to break the law then, obvi duh

20. Sokolov

SOE also didn't want me saying PoxNora was "free to play" in some of our copy due to "legal issues" despite the fact that the SOE website called us free-to-play.