Witches and Themes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elric, May 17, 2015.

1. Elric

Elric I need me some PIE!

Well, it looks like Sokolov really gutted the Witch theme with his nerfs.

How did other themes fare? Or is it mainly good stuff decks ruling the game now?

2. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Well, I did beat Dzso with Witches. Twice.

3. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

que with your witches against my dwarves. i need the exp boost.

4. Boozha

Anything with copious amounts of cleansing wrecks witches badly. it is really quite ... regrettable.

5. Elric

@Sokolov: Could you help the Witch theme out just a bit?

Could you take Disease Eater off of Wretched Witch? That would lower her cost by 6 Nora by losing this sandbag ability.

Could you make Censure only cost 2 Nora? It would reduce Maleficia's cost by 3 Nora. Maleficia is the only champ with the Censure ability, and she is overcosted for what she brings to the table.

6. Elric

Interesting fact about FW Witches, not a single one of them can Hex.

mw24 and Thbigchief like this.
  7. Boozha

Ultimately that would be nice.

Other champs that def-o need help:

Undead Crone cannot reliably profit from her DMZ ability and is thus pretty much a very slow cripple. The skillset and her in a short range role don't work well at 5 speed at all.

Accursed Scrofula is neither here nor there, somewhat between skeletons and witches. Can't see myself running him in witches ever due to the summon. Please replace rank 1 of skeleton summon with something witchy.

Dark Seductress is a damn great rune design, sadly ambush is completely and utterly bugged beyond belief. Fixplx.

Rip Witch doesn't much mesh with the other witches save for Coven.

Tortun Bokor is just straight-up terrible. Like most tortuns, and him especially. Cursed treasure is a waste of nora for the very most part.

There's a lot of other witches which don't quite mesh, but they have other themes they work with, so I guess you can't shoehorn them all into the witch theme.

8. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Yeah it would be cool if a couple had a fire and forget hex. Use once then it is removed...also none of them cast any spells which is odd too. I think that would be a cool module for a new theme or witch. A lot of powerful abilities that are "one offs" so you have to plan when to use it but risk the champ dying before it gets to use it if you wait too long taking an efficiency hit. Would be cool... @Sokolov

9. Elric

Just encountered this bug of Ambush not triggering the other day. She would be great if she worked correctly.

10. TheBulwark

TheBulwark I need me some PIE!

Nice boozha, we should be friends!

11. Boozha

I can't be friends with people, I cuss too much when I lose <.<

12. TheBulwark

TheBulwark I need me some PIE!

:(

13. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

Sounds like someone's got sand in their Britches.

SPiEkY likes this.
  14. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

long as he doesn't get stitches

SPiEkY likes this.
  15. callum6021

callum6021 The King of Potatoes

witches are a really interesting theme and it's a shame that it's becoming worse then it already was. i kind of wish that a patch more focused on these theme decks but thats really more my personal bias speaking.

16. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

If you have any specifics on which nerfs "gutted" witches and how they did so, it'd help.

17. Elric

Thanks for listening, Sokolov! :)

Anyhow, I think the huge nerf to Witching Hour just killed the Witches. Through all the nerfs, it took quite a huge hit of +10 Nora, loss of Vaporize, and no longer being Global.

However, the nerf to Witching Hour was valid as the spell was way overpowered. However, since the Witch theme was crutching on it, the theme was left severely weakened when the crutch was taken away.

Some of the weaker Witches could be buffed up a bit to make them playable.

That's why I asked for the following:

Could you take Disease Eater off of Wretched Witch? That would lower her cost by 6 Nora by losing this sandbag ability. Wretched Witch used to be very good, but she lost lots of abilities over the course of the revamp. Losing the 6-Nora sandbag ability would help her see life again in Witch decks, without being overpowered.

Could you make Censure only cost 2 Nora? It would reduce Maleficia's cost by 3 Nora. Maleficia is the only champ with the Censure ability, and she is overcosted for what she brings to the table. Right now, Maleficia costs a minimum of 76 Nora if you take Heal Champion 3. Heal Champion 3 is the ability that makes Maleficia worth putting in a Witch deck, but 76 Nora is just too costly for a 6-Speed champ such as this.

Anyhow, thanks again, Sokolov, for even paying this any attention as I'm sure you have a million other things on your plate. But, if you get a chance and help the Witches a little, Witch players would be very appreciative! :)

18. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Ok on Disease Eater.

Malefica seems fine to me, I don't understand how she can be construed as "overcosted."

I mean, sure, if you want her to be a dedicated streamlined healer for cheap, she isn't it. But RNG 3-5 11 DMG with a loss of life option that has built in Punish (more or less)? That's worth something. And Censure at 2 nora is ridiculous.

JellyBerry and SPiEkY like this.
  19. EmperorSauron

EmperorSauron I need me some PIE!

I think the easiest fix would be to change up the upgrades for forsaken follower and cackling witch so that you dont have to choose between elsari coven or defiling aura as upgrades. Access to defiling aura would allow them to bypass cleansing whilst making them playable if they arent already(I've never played witches so i wouldnt know)

20. Elric

First of all, YEAH on Disease Eater!!! :)

Censure 5 Nora AP: 4 CD: 2
    This champion makes a Loss of Life attack against target champion. IF that champion is Cursed or occupies Dead Magic Zone, it takes an additional 3 Psychic damage and loses all remaining AP.

versus

Punish 6 Nora AP:0 CD:0
    When this unit deals damage to a champion with a basic attack, that champion loses all AP and loses HP equal to the AP lost.

Wow, Punish is just so much better!

If you removed Censure and added Punish, even with an increase of 1 Nora, Maleficia would be GOOD...maybe TOO good. Censure though is not a strong ability. Sokolov, would you be interested in playtesting the Witch theme and deploying Maleficia to see how she actually works in game? I think you are just giving Censure too much credit. It may look good on paper, but it's really not very useful in practice.

Last edited: May 19, 2015