Font gen working as intended or not?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vote Kanye 2020, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

So if you and your opponent both have a champ in a neutral font and your opponent leaves the zone giving you the font at the end of his turn, you do not get the 12 nora at the start of your turn. Considering you have owned the font for a turn (even if it's barely that) and you're allowed to deploy in the zone then surely you should be generating nora from it.

Also sorry if this makes no sense, I can barely describe it in text and I had to use a custom game to show what I meant :L

BurnPyro, mw24, JellyBerry and 4 others like this.
  2. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

I thought it actually gave the 12 nora, good to know.

jeeperz2 likes this.
  3. Moles

Moles Administrator Octopi

Yea, just confirmed this with h0spy i'll have to check with @Sokolov whether this is WAI or a bug.

4. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

if I understood, then the rest of the things around here should be able to

5. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Well, that's weird.

Guessing nora actually generates during the font check phase rather than with other BoT triggers? Either way, this is pretty huge if it is WAI.

6. TheBulwark

TheBulwark I need me some PIE!

Really good catch hospy

7. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

WAI, due to KB etc.

8. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

That makes no sense though. You knock them out of the font in your turn, meaning your opponent has another turn to recontest before you would gain any nora from it.

BurnPyro likes this.
  9. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I see what you are saying. Didn't read it close enough.

You have to occupy an uncontested font for a turn to gain the font. So that turn you're talking about is used to gain the font.

A gained font generates nora on your turn start.

It's always been this way and I personally think that it's set up properly. You've just gained deployment access, if you gained nora as well it just enhances the snowball effect of being up a font.

But I'm guessing you aren't entering an argument one way or another, just seeing if it's WAI?

Another way of looking at it:

Your turn starts, process checks for fonts owned, awards nora, process checks for presence of champion in uncontested font, awards font.

Anima26 and Vote Kanye 2020 like this.
  10. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It seems pretty clear that the ordering does reward nora before changing font ownership (or something to that effect).

The question is whether this should be the case, and that is a fair trickier question.

I'd definitely say it feels odd at first glance that whether you generate nora depends on what amounts to whether you owned the font at the beginning of the PREVIOUS turn. Tho if you imagine there's some sort of animation of a Nora Well filling up during the turn and then you "collect" when it is your turn, it makes more sense.

11. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

Please don't make the game more complicated.

Just fix the fonts.

12. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

While its certainly possible to explain it in such a way that it makes sense for it to not award nora, I think it would be better to just change the ordering. That said, I have no idea how clean the code is for that segment of the game or how easy changing it would be. If it isnt too difficult then it should be definitely be changed. Other than killing the opponents shrine, controlling fonts is one of the primary objectives in the game. If you mess up and forget to keep a champion or relic in a contested font and give it to the opponent then it should hurt. A lot.

Pedeguerra likes this.
  13. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I would not change the order. Being up a font gives you deploys, it does not need to be snowballed by also giving you an extra 12 nora.

Pattn199 likes this.
  14. stayflyazn

stayflyazn Devotee of the Blood Owl

when did it start working like this?

15. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

I could have sworn you gained 12 nora if this were to happen? Was it always like this or did it change somewhere down the line O.0?

16. Sokolov

I think my comment here is that this ONLY applies in a very specific, rarely occurring scenario, so it doesn't really impact snowball potential in any realistic manner except in cases where your opponent walks off a font on his turn somehow (whether by choice, accident, or via a trap/knockback/Bounce).

17. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

i'm 99% sure it's always worked like this

leave it alone.

18. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Side fonts that you have to go out your way to capture/obtain should be strickly for resources. Where as those crucial mid fonts should be dedicated to deploying. Losing the mid font shouldn't always mean you're going to be down on nora for the rest of the fight more often then not resulting in a loss. You should be able to come back from situations like this with good placement and surprise turns.

19. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

It happens 100% of the time that this topic is relevant. And in those cases, I see no reason to make that interaction any different than it is now and 1 reason to keep it the same.

20. Sokolov

I'd say that there is at least 1 reason to change it (it's pretty unintuitive) and a partial reason not to (it has a minor balance impact in the minority of games).

But I don't think it's a strong pull in either direction.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015