Ideas to break through the cycle of inactiveness in ranked.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BurnPyro, Jul 14, 2015.

1. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

The number of players in ranked drops drastically a few weeks after a patch/expansion.

Shoot them ideas to keep people playing around the clock!

2. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

time bonus points

the longer you stay on and continue to play games, the higher you multiplier goes.

Anima26 likes this.
  3. DrSteve

DrSteve I need me some PIE!

Game gets better and has more players.

Unrelated note, it would be dope if some of these free weekend tournaments were drafts.

Anima26 and Baskitkase like this.
  4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Do people care that much about their rank though? They'll play the required game and bug off.

We need decay, but its not gonna solve anyting

5. devilsrath

devilsrath I need me some PIE!

If by that you mean splitting up the ranked ladder, that isn't a great idea considering the already critically low playerbase.

Also you can get the achievements by doing the dailies- 2 birds, 1 stone.

6. Poxpoints

Poxpoints I need me some PIE!

An idea I had that could solve activity and bring in some extra revenue for DOG was:

What about a weekly NEW LE reskin of a C/UC/Rare core-set rune if you played 25 ranked games, that last at least 10 minutes.
    It could also be the prize for the tourney that weekend.
    On "special" dates it could be a LE version of an Exo/LEG rune.

This reskin could also be sold in the store during that week for 3,5 USD or so.

Rank decay would be good too.

On a slightly unrelated note:
    I believe it would be nice if ranks were to reset at the end of every month and people would get some sort of reward according to the rank they had at the moment of the reset (everyone that has some kind of rank would get a reward, starting from low rewards to pretty sweet rewards).

Cheers,

Josh753

vitor likes this.
  7. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

there are so few people playing ranked right now you can generally count the active ranked games on your fingers

8. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

Gold scaling
    when you play 100 games you get 1.5x gold bonus doesn't matter if you win or loose

9. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

One of the things I am currently working on is a progressive hybrid rank/level system that will reward you for just playing the game - win or lose.

It should also make rank more exclusive so hopefully it means more, while also offering players rewards for reaching specific ranks/levels, both initially when hitting those levels, as well as having that rank at the end of the expansion cycle (think League borders).

Both of these things will "reset" at the end of the expansion cycle, allowing you to "re-earn" those rewards.

Gnomes likes this.
  10. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

sokolov will heroic achievement also have additional reward for ranking ?

11. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

No, that is a separate initiative, though obviously related in intent.

12. Silveraine

Silveraine I need me some PIE!

It's like I said before.. In every game roughly 10% people play to be at the top while the rest are just in it for the rewards. Improve the mechanism of granting rewards & you indirectly improve the level of activity. :)

13. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

there needs to be a reason to do ranked and maintain rank. Atm there is no real benefit. There are alot of different things that could be done to reward players that maintain rank and or participate in ranked games. Giving some type of rewards would give players incentive to play.(doesn't need to be rune rewards but something)

14. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

Easiest measures:

1. Players shouldn't be afraid to q - checkbox "don't ever match me with people N xp below"

2. Players shouldn't be able to maintain high rank barely playing - daily rank decay for everyone above 1k xp, relative - for example 10 xp per each 100 above 1k - so if you have 1234 xp you lose 23, and if you have 1567 you lose 57

3. Players shouldn't be able to maintain high rank while playing only 1 or few bgs - instead of picking a specific bg to play, you mark any of your bgs as ranked-ready, and bg for each match is chosen randomly from the list. Xp change is based on the amount of unique runes in all selected bgs (nonlinear, with N runes as "extremum")

15. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

I don't think these should be required. Some of what your saying could cause more problems instead of less.

16. stayflyazn

stayflyazn Devotee of the Blood Owl

making rank more incentivizing to play by having rewards for having a higher rank and playing in general is good for most the problem. tho it has to be rewarding for players who are in the f2p/don't spend much crowd, and also the players who can afford to get every rune every expansion. the first group does get a little bias tho due to being a larger part of the playerbase and newer players are more likely to fall into that crowd to begin with. i like sok's idea of rewarding play in general. makes losing more bearable for those who get anxious playing ranked, which i feel some of the single player only players go through.

Anima26 likes this.
  17. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

like what?

18. BigToastie

BigToastie The King of Potatoes

To get me to play ranked, when I don't really care what rank I have is pretty hard.
    The main thing comes down to balance, creating a wider variety of viable BGs in the meta would be the main thing, as the most tedious thing in ranked is seeing the same few bgs copy and pasted in games.
    I love playing the game, but I hate playing against the similar few bgs over and over.
    Granted I havent played in a couple of weeks in 1v1 so that may have changed, but I doubt it.

Fentum and Pedeguerra like this.
  19. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Pox 2.0.

Edit: I've just read Big Toasties post and I think this is the first time I have ever agreed with him. Slow clap for you sir, I shall quote you again:

BigToastie likes this.
  20. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

no matter how you incentivize ranked play youre still going to have to overcome the mismatching problem. newbies facing vets. you've got to find a way to isolate these groups. a larger playerbase would do it but you don't have that. I really think you should make true leagues.

Anima26 likes this.