Jakei Frostseer and Frost Greeting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mortal ix, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Heh...

2. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

Not only should you do it, you should release an immediate hotfix with this being the only change. :D

Anima26 likes this.
  3. mortal ix

mortal ix I need me some PIE!

Cant win with you guys. Its like trying to have a mature discussion with kids in kindergarden. Its just personal insults and picking apart an argument for some easy quick laughs. Tell me is this poxnora forums or is it 9gag? I really cant tell the difference sometimes.

And when a dev openly decide to do this.. it shows where you guys set the standard..

I didnt think that my english was so bad that you couldnt understand that I was not only talking about greeting.. afterall the thread title might be somewhat of an indication..

I was asking why having the ability at all when it offers absolutely nothing good to the faction and giving it to a champion that is too expensive for what she does.. There is not a single aspect of her that another champion does not offer.

Dont tell me 80 nora is worth it for an illusion counter.

But whatever.. unless im part of the circlejerk boys club I guess my voice doesnt matter.. even if I have been a loyal supporter since broodcall.

Gnomes likes this.
  4. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

For me, this was the thrust of the thread, and the question I answered. I expected, if further discussion was desired outside of whether the ability was working as intended for the champion, follow up on that.

For example, you might have said, "Well, then I think all the non-Sonic Greetings are bad and sandbagging their champs so we should consider changing them or recosting them."

Or "Oh, well then Greetings themselves are probably fine, but the Frostseer would be better without it because ST doesn't need global damage of this sort. Of course, this would remove her one unique aspect so... "

Or whatever. Then I'd have something to follow up and continue the discussion.

That said, you did start saying some stuff in your latest post that I can reply to, but what I am about to say is basically me just describing her ability list that we can ALL see:

You say this as though she does nothing except counter illusions. What can we discuss if you won't concede she has other traits other than a 4 nora ability and an ability you think is bad?

The fact of the matter is 4-6 RNG at 10 DMG is above average on both counts, and she has to pay for that in nora. She also has an AE effects which generates terrain in U1 (one with damage too, if you want that).

It is true that there are other champs who have similar abilities, but that's just how it is - we don't have infinite resources to give every champion multiple unique abilities every expansion - there is going to be some overlap always especially with a game that has gone on as long as it has. Heck, even if we gave everything new abilities, there are only so many roles and so many slots.

It is precisely for this reason that I made her a champ with good range, terrain generation and a global damage ability with some support. This differentiates her quite a bit from the other ranged frost attackers like Shardseer or Shardmaster whom are largely about pure DMG (note that Shardmaster actually costs more just as much if you remove Vuln - Fire). She is more of a versatile champion with a few different functions in a terrain deck than a Frost-Amp Multiattacker. But this is all easily seen just by looking at the champion and comparing it. You simply insist that she does nothing for the faction except for being an expensive illusion counter - and you are certainly allowed to have that opinion but you basically don't leave any room for discussion.

It's perfectly reasonable to argue that she might be a better at 5-6 or 3-5 (and therefore slightly cheaper) or some other suggestions for re-arrangement that would make her more efficient, but you said this wasn't a buff thread so what can I say there?

~

Personally, I don't also don't believe every champion released has to streamlined to a specific small range of nora costs and compete in the same way for the same slots. Reality is that if this was an OP champion who did the same thing as the Shardmaster instead we wouldn't be talking about it at all (at least not in this thread in this manner) - which is silly because in that case it'd be a worse example of "nothing new." Pox is a deckbuilding game as much as it is a tactics games - it's up to you to decide what you want in your deck and where to invest your resources. As the developer, I try and create some semblance of parity, but a lot of it depends on what you, the player, is looking for when building your deck. There are cases of runes sitting around not really being used until someone figures out something that it works well with or other rune comes along, etc.

She may not be super unique, but I think she is far from a clone of an existing champion.

~

The thread also led me to the thinking that I should rename Sonic Greeting to avoid future confusion, as it is basically not the same as the other Greetings at all - which is a valid point that was surfaced via this thread.

It also seems like we are talking less this champion specifically perhaps, and more about the general idea that people don't like paying anything more than 75 nora for champs, even if they have above average range and solid DMG - which is basically why champs are constantly moving towards 3-5, 4-5, 5-6 RNG over anything else, and why so many ranged champs are starting to come with drawbacks.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
    stayflyazn and themacca like this.
  5. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

Rename Sonic Greeting to /saxy plox.

Also please to give Snogvie /Saxy skin.

Anima26 and Qucas like this.
  6. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

snogvie is overpowered too just fyi @DMrBadguy.

@Sokolov frostseers cost makes no sense. somethings not costed properly.
    also you slightly nerfed geomancer(instead of reworking it for some reason) and released sapper+juggler which does almost the same thing. wtf??? runes that instakill in aoe shouldn't exist, especially ones with swap or initiative...

7. Sokolov

What do you think is not costed properly?

8. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

This champ doesn't do enough to justify its 80 nora cost. Avalanche may or may not be costed properly but the bigger issue is its set of abilities. I could be wrong but I don't think there is a single bg worth using this champ in, same with the other new jakei with blitz. Also I think the new formula may be affecting 0 def and low hp champs a little too harshly. Maybe buff avalanche to aoe 3? I don't know. Cones and ranged damage abilities aren't nearly as good on ranged units. That is probably the problem with this champ, if it was melee with avalanche it would probably be good.( i don't think avalanche makes sense on this unit and snowstrike is probably overcosted and is rarely useful)

With the frostwing hunter, his damage and survivability are both low for a melee, and the blitz ability cost too much nora. 7 speed also just adds to his cost with his damage and survivability being so low.

9. mortal ix

mortal ix I need me some PIE!

Alright if we are back to discussing like civilized people then I will take the bait.

She is on base a 10 damage 4-6 range champion at 80 nora. She offers:

- Avalanche (already very available from yeti)
    - ice veil (pseudo summon counter and illusion counter)

Her role is a ranged damager with the average damage of a supporter, avalanche give her some defense against closer combat but she is supposed to stay away from combat and harass with her terrain ability.

At 80 and up nora she competes with as a ranged damager/harasser:

- Jakei Elder
    - Jakei Frost Queen
    - Jakei Heretic
    - Juya

Feel free to correct me if im wrong. From what I see she is unique as a jakei with long ranged terrain harassment. But there is not really any reason (at least yet) for us to have that.
    The terrain is easy to play around, position out of and you can find access to it cheap from spells.

I notice that your idea seem to be that it would be helpful for us to have access to terrain generation from multiple sources but really what it does, is to increase price or not offer any new utility.

If terrain harassment was viable, snowstorm would be played.. Wouldnt it?

But frostseer isnt played for the same reason that snowstorm isnt played. Its a mechanic that is too easy to play around.

Cut her cost by taking away frost greeting and she would be playable. This is not what im getting at however.

Its that when we are continually given runes that doesnt really have a deck to be viable in. Then you should maybe reconsider what direction you are taking said faction.

Limited resources is one thing. But using limited resources on something that we dont want.. its not better.

10. Sokolov

Not necessarily. If Snowstorm was 5 nora it'd be played regardless of what it did, or if it was 120 nora it wouldn't be played regardless of what it did.

Terrain harassment was viable in the past (and in fact needed nerfing), and honestly I think is generally undervalued. (We often hear people complain about decks that use terrain, but no one seems willing to spend nora on countering enemy terrain.)

Cutting Frost Greeting basically makes her less unique, MAYBE it makes her playable? But I think you'd argue very much the same stuff now even without it because it all still applies except she is 75 nora instead of 80.

Perhaps we should talk about why isn't global DMG not worth a few nora? That might be an interesting discussion.

The flip-side is that every new champ is hyper efficient so that it is always meta, then very quickly you are back to everything powercreeping everything and we hate that too.

The direction I am taking it offering different builds and variety in champions (which is why I like Themes) - sometimes they are more playable than others, but that's the nature of a deckbuilding game.

YOU decide what you want to run from the available options. If all I did was continually give you runes that is viable in most decks, I am taking away your choice of deckbuilding and just saying "buy the newest runes and run them because they will always be better than what you have."

Bottom line is I don't want to just want to powercreep everything, and I don't want to make every champion more or less the same. I also don't want to further erode faction flavor. So I try and find niches and spaces and uses for champ designs that still fit with the themes of the faction - that's the intent.

profhulk likes this.
  11. Sokolov

So it sounds like you advocate moving all towards towards a sub-75 nora cost with 6 SPD, and a mix of melee + ranged capabilities?

12. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

no, but the problem with frostseer is its stats and abilities are making it cost too much nora for the impact it brings to a game, which is why it isn't really worth using atm. Most viable ranged units in st are much better and more efficient.(even in the frost and jakei themes this might be the 2nd weakest ranged unit after frostbow) Avalanche probably shouldn't be on most ranged units because of their range already making them more expensive and the units already having access to ranged damage which makes avalanche less important to them. The senshu rune is fine as is though, it is really strong and at a good cost. If you compare the senshu rune to the frostseer you might notice the problem. Senshu provides much more of an impact and utility and is somehow costed lower than the frostseer and the same as the frostwing hunter.

Frostseer is as strong as a 65 or 70 nora ranged unit yet cost 80 nora. Tundra whisper and icecaster for example are much stronger than frostseer and both cost less nora.(avalanche prolly cost a little too much nora, shattered dreams should cost 1 or 2 nora and get a higher cd to make shattered dreams champs more versatile and less specialized, I think greetings are costed properly outside of sonic but idk, they might be better at like 3 nora.

13. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

Snogvie is still op atm because of greeting dealing 5 damage and also distracting. He is also strong once deployed.
    How about giving avalanche a secondary effect like, chill, freeze, lumbering, or something else. @Sokolov

14. Sokolov

Avalanche is actually Frost damage internally now :D There was also some unpreventable damage bug with it so we fixed that and made it Frost at the same time.

IMAGIRL and PhdNiceGuy like this.
  15. Sokolov

I could see that regarding Avalanche, how do you feel about Snowstrike? That is also on the upgrade tree.

~

Keep in mind also that if she had 0 abilities, she'd still be 60 nora. 10 DMG at 4-6 RNG doesn't come cheap. So to get her to 65 nora that'd be Attack - Frost + Arctic... and basically nothing else.

I mean, yea, if she was 60 nora base stats, had 20 nora in abilities, and costed 65 nora of course she'd be strong...

Unless you are arguing that RNG in general should be cheaper, there is no way to get her cost to 65 in a reasonable fashion. That's crazy.

16. Sokolov

In general, I am finding that unless one of the base abilities is negative, fitting in a non-basic attack/non-racial ability on base for an above average ranged unit is very difficult.

I do think moving Greeting to U2 would help her playability, even if I feel like it just means it becomes the only viable upgrade. I am not as convinced that Avalanche is not useful on her as mw24 claims.

17. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

snowstrike cost too much nora and doesn't have much of an impact alot of the time. Too many flying champs and the snow aoe is small, a debuff or chill would usually be better. Maybe if snowstrike gave lumbering or frozen and grounded as well it would be good.

I am not saying frostseer should cost 65 nora, I am just saying she has as much impact in game as other ranged champs that cost much less. She is currently alot weaker than tundra whisper and ice caster and both cost 5+ less nora. I think shattered dreams would be a great ability if it costed like 1 or 2 nora and had a higher cd, that way champs with it would still be good when not going up against summons and would give summon bgs more of a chance against them. Also I think all hunter abilities should be nerfed and their cost reduced. I think sever summons should be nerfed too and its cost reduced.

18. Sokolov

Do you think Flight is undercosted?

19. stayflyazn

stayflyazn Devotee of the Blood Owl

you could switch avalanche with frost greeting so its base, that way you can have both snowstrike and avalanche and she can be more in the terrain gen role

20. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

I don't think so, I just think more abilities should be able to target units with flight and flight should be kept in mind when maps are created to not give them an overwhelming advantage.