Jakei Frostseer and Frost Greeting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mortal ix, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

You aren't. It's interesting because the Frostseer would be a 59 nora champ at RNG 1-1, and then people would probably be saying it's very good - which possibly suggests RNG itself is overcosted in the formula.

All I have to do is push her to 4-5 and she becomes 72 nora with Frost Greeting still at base.

2. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

snow strike currently cost like 5 or 6 nora more than it should for what it does currently.

3. Sokolov

This doesn't seem unreasonable.

4. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

the problem is that a wider ranges are overcosted. This was a problem with champs like xulos, moragen, and is still an issue for many champs with wide ranges. I don't think ranges like 5-6 or 4-5 are generally overcosted but ranges like 3-6, 2-5, 1-4, even ranges with less spread seem to cost alot.

Also I think damage over time should be changed like sunder. I think ranged units should get dot 3 and melees dot 5 and then dot 5's cost should be reduced to only slightly more than dot 3 if not the same.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  5. Sokolov

If you actually look at the cost progression, it doesn't seem so crazy:

3-4: 9 Nora
    4-5: 12 Nora
    2-4: 13 Nora
    5-6: 15 Nora
    3-5: 18 Nora
    2-5: 21 Nora
    4-6: 21 Nora
    5-7: 24 Nora

Generally, I think people like RNG'd units that can't just back off and hit them still (which a narrower ranged band does help with) (without paying for it).

You could possibly argue that 3-5 should be at 15 nora (and 4-6 would be 18, etc.) but when you consider how much AP RNG is worth it's hard to argue for reducing cost of RNG'd too much.

6. DrSteve

DrSteve I need me some PIE!

This is legit actually. One of the things that bugs me a lot about dots currently is that they have the same price on both melee and ranged units, despite them being infinitely more useful on ranged units. The same could be said for the whole formula given that it seeks to assign costs in a vacuum, but it's especially noticeable on DoTs.

7. DrSteve

I think you hit the nail on the head when you pointed out that 3-5 is more expensive than 5-6. Give me 5-6 in that case any day.

8. Sokolov

The difference is mostly that 5-6 is dramatically easier to engage on and keep out of a fight in theory than 3-5, and you only get 1 more MAX RNG in exchange. So I could see them being similar in cost, but I don't think it's clear cut winner to 5-6 personally, especially not with so many melee having gap closers and other forms of CC.

9. stayflyazn

stayflyazn Devotee of the Blood Owl

then at least this way both potentially overcosted abilities, snowstrike and frost greeting, are both on thhe same upgrade line and if both get cost reductions, then she'll get a cost decrease overall

10. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

Been playing a Jakei bg focused around Ice Amp and the frostseer is pretty good with snowstrike as the selected upgrade for 78 Nora.

11. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

4-5 and 5-6 are the best ranges with these costings. 3-4 and 2-4 are bad ranges,(the champs can be good though with strong ability like senshu for example) 3-5,4-6, and 5-7 cost too much nora.(senshu would be undercosted but his range is keeping him balanced, absolute zero probably doesn't cost enough nora and should probably be increased if 2-4 range were to get a cost reduction)

3-4 should be like 6 nora, 2-4 like 9, 3-5 12 or 15, 2-5 15 or 18, and 5-7 21 or less.

12. Sokolov

1-X RNG'd isn't really handled well by the formula so I just kind of think of them differently when I am costing. I mean, the whole melee OR ranged thing is worth bonus nora.

And yea, if you compare it Bombs, for example, that are double digit nora for X-7 RNG'd basically, but can't be used every turn... being able to attack at those ranges every turn being worth 20ish nora doesn't seem unreasonable. Plus RNG has the ability to compound with more effects - any buff is more valuable on them, etc. So there's a premium there too aside from raw DMG potential.

One thing I have been doing is discounting RNG'd slightly if the unit has lower than average DMG (usually 8 or lower), but still have high RNG'd.

13. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Thanks for reading, feel free to play the victim in another thread of your choice again.

No seriously, some champs are just better than others. The champ isn't even completely shoebox either. You should have named this thread "my champ is bad and I think it's because ST's being singled out". Either that or you just have no clue how to formulate your threads, combined with your pissy reaction when the thread was clearly over, makes people not take you serious at all.

Just a heads up if you intend to make more threads in the future.

14. DrSteve

Just from personal experience I'd disagree: I find myself moving into max range much more often than moving away from my target to fit the minumum. Realistically if you're playing a ranged unit you're going to have meat in front of it to help deter other runes from closing the gap. This is especially apparent in snapteeth ranged units where I rarely found their deadzones to be too problematic due to crawmangler being such a strong roadblock.

Obviously everything's situational, but I just feel like i'd rather have the larger deadzone with the longer range in most scenarios.

15. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Didgeridoo Greeting

IMAGIRL likes this.
  16. Sokolov

What if we looked at it another way?

Imagine you have a champ with X Max RNG. How much would you pay extra to have +1 MAX RNG?

What about Y MIN RNG? What is the cost of -1 MIN RNG?

17. DrSteve

Depends entirely on what the champ's damage is and what else it potentially spends its AP on. On a champ like kanen cultist? I wouldn't want to pay much for extra range. On Kanen crone? I'd gladly pay a lot more.

If I had to completely generalize it I'd say I would gladly pay double the amount that a -1 MIN RNG costs to get a +1 MAX RNG

18. Sokolov

If we start with 5-6 being 15 nora, and work backwards to get to 3-5... that would suggest that those should be equal in cost (i.e. I get get -2 MIN RNG for the cost of +1 MAX RNG).

Or if we start 4-5 being 12 nora, and 4-6 being 21 nora, (so +9 for +1 MAX RNG), we'd expect that 3-5 would be around 16 nora (2 nora less than the current 18 nora costing) (which is close enough to 15 using the other method).

19. DrSteve

Right, this is exactly my thought. Whenever something closes in to my large dead zone unit, most of the time I have other units to address the problem.

20. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Supported.