Why was stealth nerfed again?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheBulwark, Aug 4, 2015.

1. TheBulwark

TheBulwark I need me some PIE!

Stealth was just a fun mechanic that was never that amazing in recent times, and then it was nerfed... how heartless.... Stealth is almost never run and considering theyre handing out detect like free clean needles to homeless junkies, its pretty much a dead mechanic. I have some fun ideas to make this a thing again.

Abilities:

Dim- range 6- units with detection have their detect range reduced by 2 and all opposing units have their spell presence reduced by 1

Hide then seek- global- (would be on a new relic)- detection does not occur automatically. Rather it occurs at the end of your turn (could be opponents turn instead)

Will think of more. Dont want stealth to be op, just runnable. As always I appreciate your positive feedback (but not your impairing feedback) lolz!!!

Gnomes likes this.
  2. Tricky1

Tricky1 I need me some PIE!

From what i've seen stealth is still stealth. They just changed the abilities that granted stealth and I think it went towards a more positive direction on this behalf. Stuff like flash bomb used to be stealth on crack and just clearly out shined the ability in itself. Now each stealth themed ability has a function on it's own(I still don't like domain shadows).

Or am I missing something?o_O

Ifem21 and daeminicus like this.
  3. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

stealth is an obnoxious mechanic that promotes onesided gameplay (also counter/lose)

not saying you can't play around it, or that counters haven't been proliferated (as has the mechanic itself), but you saying it's a "fun" mechanic is like me saying attrition decks were "fun".

it's true, but only in that i thought so while i was playing em.

having said that, one of the things i've noticed when i've run any number of stealth champions is how many people just give up on trying to figure out where it could be *without* a direct counter. kanen trackers were the best examples for this- they had hidden:x for maybe 2 types of terrain, and people would repeatedly check the wrong parts of fonts to find them.

the other part of this is that if youu know when they stealth, you can count spaces from there to see when they can reach what parts of the map, so you know that your font can be contested by this turn, and if it's not then they're probably over there instead.

and so on.

chris0024, Pattn199 and BurnPyro like this.
  4. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

An ability that reduces spell presence sounds really cool.

5. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

You mean mystic push?

6. badgerale

forgot that existed - but I was thinking something a bit more dramatic. Like -3 to enemy spell presence.

TheBulwark likes this.
  7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

For the love of God please no

Pattn199 likes this.
  8. badgerale

Why not?

9. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

cause it would be too strong and without detect it will be a unstoppable combo

10. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

stealth is bs in competitive games, I am glad it was nerfed. Too much luck involved.

11. TheBulwark

TheBulwark I need me some PIE!

Attrition decks are fun..

12. MovnTarget

MovnTarget Forum Royalty

Want to drop an AOE 3 spell? Guess what, you're hurting your own champ with it. Yay...

13. badgerale

Serves you right for spell spamming. Hardcore factions keep it AoE 2.

I still think that this avenue could be explored. -3 might be too much for an ability that is global and constant but could work as a 'enemy champs within x spaces have -3 spell presence' or as an on-deploy ability for 5 turns or something.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    TheBulwark likes this.
  14. DrSteve

DrSteve I need me some PIE!

Basically what dagda said. Stealth is not fun to play against and it forces me to run direct counters in my bgs; thus homogenizing the process of deckbuilding.

BurnPyro and mw24 like this.
  15. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

I think stealth would be better if it only lasted a few turns at a time but then stealth champs would probably need buffs in other areas to make up for this.

16. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

Stealth design space is really tight because it's unscaleable.

Here's example how to change that:

each champ has "stealth" / "perception" stats, with "defaults" of 0/2

unit is considered hidden if its stealth > 0, and it's not within aoe (opposing unit perception - this unit stealth)

champs which are sneaky by design may have starting stealth > 0
    champs which are shiny/huge/noisy/etc by design may have starting stealth < 0
    champs which are detectors by design may have starting perception > 2
    champs which are blind/deaf/etc by design may have starting perception < 2

"stealth": this champ gets +1 stealth until it's detected
    "hidden: x": this champ has +1 stealth while occupying x terrain
    "cloak": champs within aoe 2 of that champ have +1 stealth
    "deadeye parasite": equipped champ has +3 perception...
    "corgi menace": each time a friendly corgi is deployed, opposing champs within aoe 5 have -2 perception for 2 turns

17. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

Stealth was lame.

Remember when cloak of long knives was release?

Shadow shift and Assassinate 2 on a leoss panty lurker or anything with rogue in UD(manslayer used to embody this bs also)

The sad part though, he actually never saw play after that change.

This enhanced my feelings that stealth while in case flavorful and fun(roughneck) is luck based draw win tactic. After the first 10 rounds it's either overbearing cause you have yet to draw detecting units or it's a walk in the park cause you had it draw early.

That said, still life ruined stealth for everyone.