Rune Forge Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Aug 19, 2015.

1. fattyy2k

fattyy2k I need me some PIE!

I have gotten several of my friends into the game and the forge has been awesome for it. I have traded and forged a lot of my old and unused collections to help make their first deck and give them some incentive to buy into pox on their own or work for the shards to forge runes.

Engleberry likes this.
  2. Engleberry

Engleberry The King of Potatoes

Exactly.

3. Ozariig

Ozariig I need me some PIE!

I'm good with the proposed changes to the Rune Forge. My slight reservations are that it might be difficult to manage a mix of tradeable and untradeable runes in my collection unless a) they are immediately visually distinguishable, and b) we have a full complement of filters in the Rune Checklist, Rune Forge, and Rune Manager so that we can manage them separately.

Also, with regard to issues with acquiring new expansion runes by trading with forged runes, maybe there is a "best of both worlds" solution? Maybe the Rune Forge could also let you upgrade a non-tradeable rune to a tradeable with all of the previous limits in place and with a hefty cost in shards.

Engleberry and soulmilk like this.
  4. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Look at this Sok, almost all cons shared on this thread can be easily countered.

I would say, improve the game no matter what. If you devs find this change beneficial, push it regandless of collectors disagreement.

5. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

Some interesting thoughts, opinions and ideas on this subject in this thread. I imagine Sokobro has atleast gained some interesting feedback from this post.

soulmilk likes this.
  6. 15Deadmen

15Deadmen The King of Potatoes

• Forged Runes will become Untradeable
    • Rune Forge Limit removed
    • Forge Rates improved dramatically (including 1 for 1 rates for Commons)
    • Continue to offer new ways to obtain (both earned and purchased) Shards

So looking at this from just a economic stand point, making runes untradeable is bad since it limits economic mobility. What if I forged a rune that I no long want for one reason or another?
      I don't understand why there is a forge limit at all, what is the intended purpose?
      Increasing forge rates is a great thing, but it also kind of decrease incentive to buy packs, especially core packs.
      I think allowing shards to be purchased by gold as good enough, but more ways to obtain it is always nice.

With that all said, if runes become TOO easy to obtain, no one will trade and I believe that trading is important. I really wish that pox have an in-game market where players can buy runes with gold. You guys dont even have to set prices, the market will determine the value. This also allows flexibility when a rune gets changed and whatnot. I REALLY think that having an in-game market would help that game a lot. Almost all mayor games have this. Game economic gives the player another reason to keep playing even if they're not great at the game itself.

Liion likes this.
  7. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

Makes a lot of sense 15. +1

8. Poxpoints

Poxpoints I need me some PIE!

Maybe I am biased as I run a tradestore, but I fail to see how this is a good thing for PoxNora.

What exactly do you expect this to accomplish?

If you want to retain new players, give them "Coreset" for free so that they can start with a selfmade customizable BG and give them "Extended Set" rune rewards (from the faction they're playing with) and gold in the games so they can PLAY to get better runes and a better BG and want to keep doing so even after they've made one BG.

Less of an impact on older players and the economic system of PoxNora as a whole, and way more interesting for new player retention in my honest opinion.

Cheers,

Josh753

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  9. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Despite players continually making that suggesting, honestly, spamming a new player with a ton of content does NOT improve retention.

That said, the new user flow DOES need to let players customize BGs earlier in the process, and that's a different initiative.

Engleberry and Anima26 like this.
  10. Poxpoints

Poxpoints I need me some PIE!

That's why the suggestion is only to give them up too the first 5 expansions and not more than that. It's small enough to be comprehensible but big enough to leave a bunch of options to play around with.

Keep in mind a new player at the point of seeing those runes should already have a preference as to what faction he wants to try out first (the tutorials provides this in a way by letting new players choose their starter BG, which in this matter could be a coreset only BG), meaning he's not "learning" the entire "Core Set" but more so 1/8 of the "Core Set" while learning more whilst playing.

On top of that when I was suggesting this I always suggested there should be premade core set BGs made as well BUT they would be entirely optimizable and could be updated every expansion or so.

In an ideal world, I would in this case also like to see a "Core Set only" play mode, but that's another story (think old old old training grounds but with a bit more options in which the player can grow and experience progress).

It offers new players some instant options, while still offering them ALOT more to keep playing the game for, it's all about the feeling of progress without it being too much of a grind.

The current idea on the table seems to destroy the feeling of progress entirely, because you know, the moment you got something you can keep switching runes around barely losing anything.
    Short said, no urge to try to get more runes, no incentive to play, no feeling of progress.

Cheers,

Josh753

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  11. Ozariig

Ozariig I need me some PIE!

@Poxpoints @Sokolov There is an intermediate option, in which you could give players the Pox Nora Release Set, Savage Tundra Expansion, and Shattered Peaks Expansion (minus LE runes). There's what, ~40 runes per faction in these sets combined? Not an overwhelming number, but still enough make complete BGs out of, with a few exotics to give 'em a taste. In that case the Core Set might need to grow to include Path To Conquest so that it still includes 4 expansions worth of runes, including the same Legendary runes in each faction as before, to make it worthwhile for new players.

All that said, I certainly can't prove that the mere possession of these runes, or that the ability for new players to build and customize BGs, would positively affect retention. I think the more important issue is how the NUX is presented; as long as the game is made approachable enough and new players aren't given something dumbed-down or half-baked, I'm sure it will work out without needing to go full-on with the Hearthstone model.

12. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Player retention isn't a hard puzzle to solve.

1. Make a fun game
    2. Don't make it too expensive to play

Why is this so hard?

13. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Because it's actually not that simple.

14. Liion

Liion Well-Known Member

This.

Lets say I buy Shards to make Runes and start a competitive deck. Why would I put real money on a game knowing that there is no way of selling them back?. I want to be able to cash them if I want, what if I want to use that money to get some other Runes?

I believe that people would gadly trade some collection value for an increase in the player base. I would make a poll and see what kind of feedback I get.

And also a rune market would rock, I'm sick of having to wait to get the runes I want. Hell I want pay Cash to get some specific Runes and I have to go to PoxBox, and the guy only lets me trade 2 friking Legendarys per 2 Weeks Lmao!.

TL;TR: Forge Limit and Untradable hurt the players that want to pay cash for the game. Open the market, don't restrict it. Probably players would gadly take a loss in Rune value over an Incrase in Player Base = Ask in a poll.

15. fattyy2k

fattyy2k I need me some PIE!

I have lost ALOT of my collections to get half a dozen ppl playing the game. I have no qualms about it. I have traded and bartered to get some people good starting bgs which helped get them hooked. I didn't get anything over exotic for them and I only helped them with their first. It was enough to get several of them to play the game and they still do

Gnomes and Goyo like this.
  16. 15Deadmen

15Deadmen The King of Potatoes

OMG why havent we figured that out?! you're actually a genius (unless it was sarcasm, in which case: noice)

17. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Seems to me effort is needed on both items. And the 2 are linked. For example you don't make the game cheaper by trashing all the high rarity cards. Rarity = power is actually ok and fun, just so long as you don't make your rare cards impossible to get. And remember that for a player (not a collector) the fun is realized by being able to make competitive decks.

Not being able to trade crafted runes helps the game. Whoever feels this is bad for the game is abusing the system in order to milk pox box points. Whatever they're doing its farming. And tailoring a game to the farmers always results in inferior gameplay for the casuals. See Diablo real money auction house to see an example of how designing around the farmers hurts gameplay for everyone else.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  18. Dresnar20365988

Dresnar20365988 Devotee of the Blood Owl

Terrible idea to make forge able runes untradeable.

Keep it simple. Increase exchange rates and let the system work.

Best thing you could add to the rune forger is a mass shader system.

19. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

I agree bad idea. Since I am generous and have lots of resources I have been able to forge and trade runes to many of my friends and new players to help them get started with their collections/new themes they are interested in playing.

fattyy2k and themacca like this.
  20. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

In fairness this is a fun game to play. And it's free to play module is actually a lot better than most games i see. So i think his theory is a little off point.