Rune Forge Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

THIS IS A DISCUSSION: IT IS NOT A PREVIEW

What if we made no changes to the Forge at all, but allowed players to trade Shards?

THANKS FOR THE DISCUSSION ON THE BELOW, PLEASE COMMENT ON THE ABOVE NEW QUESTION

~

So we introduced the Rune Forge for one purpose:
    • Increase Rune Accessibility for players
    We have, since the introduction of the Rune Forge, added Legendaries to it, as well as improved the rates.

However, there remains a Limit, and there are several reasons for that, but they are mostly tied to keeping the game economy healthy. It is something we are aware that does impact our regular players in some cases, and is something we'd like to remove.

~

So for this discussion, I'd like to introduce something we have been talking about internally:
    • Forged Runes will become Untradeable
    • Rune Forge Limit removed
    • Forge Rates improved dramatically (including 1 for 1 rates for Commons)
    • Continue to offer new ways to obtain (both earned and purchased) Shards
    We feel that by doing these things, we would create a situation where the feature better serves the goal of accessibility while limiting any abuse potential it has. We do recognize that some players do forge runes to trade, but the reality is that the goal of the system is to allow players to get the runes they need and to explore the game, and we feel the net gain is a positive one.

Note that if we do do this, we'd give you warning so you can forge any tradeables you might want. It's also possible that we simply change the nature of the limit too so that y

It's a big change, so I'd like to hear your thoughts on this before we even decide on exactly how to do it.

As always, feel free to ask questions, make other suggestions, etc, I will try and answer them :)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    Gnomes, newsbuff, Goyo and 2 others like this.
  2. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

I think the cap is fine but it could stand to be raised a bit higher, possibly 10?

3. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

I like this idea at first glance. Im not into the game for profits and all that, im in it to play.

Gnomes and Elves Rule like this.
  4. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

Sounds good.

5. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

As a free player without the means of becoming a paying player, I am concerned that this means I won't be able to trade for runes in the current expansion anymore (or more accurately, it will be extremely hard). The only way to do so will be to play a lot and gather gold and hope extended boxes drop valuable runes to trade away. Because I won't be able to forge for trade material.
    Unfortunately, I am also very unlucky when it comes to boxes: I almost always only get the guaranteed exotic (and occasionally maybe 1 more exo). Right now, I can at least get current expansion runes at hugely raised prices on poxbox, by trading my forged runes.

So for me the question becomes: "are you ok with better forge rates, but being realistically 1 expansion (3-4 months) behind the entire time?". It's a huge grind requiring patience and time either way. I'm only gonna have less and less time from now on either way. If I need to grind and get what I want the slow way, I'd rather have the option to spoil myself with an inefficient trade for a shiny new thing once in a while.

I hope I expressed myself clearly enough. I'm kind of tired so I can't tell.

Valkyr, Engleberry, vitor and 2 others like this.
  6. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

compared to pb forge is more attractive now only use pb if i want something from the new expansion.

Most of the time i scrap my rares and get stuff from forge up to legs

7. Sokolov

That is an interesting perspective, thanks for that.

8. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I agree with @Sirius. Currently when I have an excess of runes, I use them to forge a top valued legendary. Then I trade that legendary for multiple lower value legendary/exotic runes. If the forged runes are locked to my account, then I can only expand my collection one rune at a time.

9. Sokolov

I think if we created a notradeable forge, we could extend the notrade flag to tournament rewards as well.

Goyo likes this.
  10. Xiven

Xiven I need me some PIE!

Eww, bring back asterisk runes? No more homogeneous collection? I may as well be playing sports...

11. Sokolov

No, * runes were a hacky way of doing non-tradeables (which creates an untradeable version of the rune that isn't the same rule). It wouldn't definitely not be that way.

This would be a system whereby we can flag individual runes that players own as untradeable.

12. daeminicus

daeminicus Devotee of the Blood Owl

I like them being non-tradable tbh.

Gnomes likes this.
  13. Anima26

I can certainly see the two sides of the coin for this idea, i totally understand where Sirius is coming from as a F2P player, more so because im broke. The forge is the only way i can make profit and such, but im not interested in that kind of stuff tbf, if the Forge was changed so that i was able to Forge all the runes i wanted much easier and for a better exchange rate i am ALL FOR THAT. I dont give a monkeys if it limits trading due to nontradeables, people still trade? Kden. I can always use the runes/tokens i do have that are tradeable to trade for the newest expansion stuff, or ya know, save up a little dollar and actually just buy some new expansion packs. I still think its a great idea, but i can see how some people may not like the sound of it.

14. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

Could there be added a way to make the runes tradable? Maybe pay in shards equal to 3 or 5 times the value of the rune?

15. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

It is the right move. But realize that this current playerbase has been filtered down to collectors/traders. I wouldn't expect the idea to be popular among them.

Anima26 likes this.
  16. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

I think you need to get some good sleep.

17. hfok

hfok I need me some PIE!

Disagree with Untradeable, I think it will be yet another thing that new player needs to learn.

When the new player finally get some gold, buy a couple of packs or boxes, forged what they didn't need and hope to craft something for a higher value only to know those used to be tradeable runes suddenly become untradeable.

It also worsen the feel when you open a bad pack that nothing is particular valuable in the market anymore as you could choose from a) keeping the low value but tradeable runes or b) shard it for something that is valuable but untradeable.

I could be the only one, but the shards I get from packs normally end up forging for my friends because I hate dealing with traders. I would much rather still be able to help new players/friends with the shard I have instead of I have to trade the runes for them.

18. Anima26

I dont agree with that sentiment tbh, Sok mentioned that the Forge would have greatly increased forge rates if the runes were made to be untradeable. Thats a definite boon for new players, they can have more access to the runes they want to play. Trading is all but non existent any way, the only issue is using forge material to trade into Poxbox.net for profit so u can trade OUT runes from Poxbox.net. PBs prices are inflated so that decondor can make a profit and filter stuff into his cash store. Who cares about all that crap. Just forge your runes, make a deck and play. Trading isnt all that. Just look at HS.

19. hfok

hfok I need me some PIE!

This will not be true as long as last expansion is not forgable and can only be traded or purchased.

I do agree that latest expansion should be un-forgable tho.

20. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Okay heres what ima say. Having forged runes become untradeable basically puts the game in the inevitable decline. eventually (especially if the forge rates are closer to 1:1) its going to be at the point where it's significantly easier to forge your runes than it is to trade them (since it will be impossible) and as time goes on (assuming people aren't buying packs, which based on people i talk to regularly, people aren't) the amount of runes in the game will just dwindle away to nothingness. bad idea don't do it cause that would literally kill the game

TheBulwark, Valkyr and Engleberry like this.