Cactuar Crate - Visions of Amareth Edition

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

<3

2. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

LOL Sok.
    It's like you don't care man.
    The last thing Devotee/Trees need is another OP unit to just use like a meta bg. Do you even realize how OP the summon tree spam has got? Jeez.
    I honestly think you lost the grasp for balance.
    /shrugs

Edit: "Dimension Doors: Evasive removed". LOL.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  3. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

Nicely done. @IMAGIRL is right that is worth 272 fictional forum points. @Bellagion, you should really consider participating in the Short Story contest if you aren't already working on something to submit. http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php...of-amareth-midterm-short-story-contest.20505/

Actually, that would be up to @Sokolov but I have made mention of it to him :)

4. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Most of them will be fine with Devotee as an upgrade. I do think caution needs to be taken on Rage of the Circle, though. If Devotee is upgraded at the cost of something good, like Reckless Teleport (Upgrade Path 1), it may be okay.

Green light on Guardian OTC and Light OTC. Yellow light on Rage OTC.

Edit: I'm not sure if Experimental Warspirit is being lumped into the "of the circle" runes but he'd be on the watch list too.

5. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Yea, so for Rage I have in the first line so you would to gave up Acolyte or Reckless Teleport for it, which seems reasonable to me in terms of trading raw power for theme synergy. Likewise with Guardian who will choose between Tough and Devotee, while Light of the Circle will have to choose between ranged DOT or Devotee.

Note that this comes with the proposed increase cost of Devotee/Sacrifice and the increase of CD on Sacrifice to slow down the ramp (but keeping the mechanics intact for now). I may need to nerf/adjust stuff more down the line, but the expansion of the theme had been planned for some time and it seemed nice to do it alongside those changes.

~

No, Warspirit is not included here.

Tweek516 and Xirone like this.
  6. narvoxx

narvoxx I need me some PIE!

It does stack, I made a BG around it but it is trickyer than it sounds. You can't just begin casting it off CD because your opponent will understand what you are doing the first time they cast a spell (and it is nora you are 'throwing away'

Used to be 30 before the patch I think

7. Makorov

Makorov I need me some PIE!

I feel like Poison and Rend shouldn't both be available at the same time to a ranged unit like Deadly Tracker

8. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Do people take rend on it? i never see it without deep wounds

9. Makorov

Yea, I've seen it with Rend and Poison in an archer bg. Then they cast the spell that grants Burn 3 to all archers and go to town with the DoTs. Not to mention they also have chilled available

10. Xirone

I play my Deadly Trackers with Rend and Poison these days. Deep Wounds is still probably a better upgrade for Deadly Trackers in most decks, though. In the right deck, with the right support, Rend + Poison is nice (as Makorov points out above it isn't that hard to add more DoTs in a dedicated Archer deck).

I will say, I am not sure how/when Deadly Tracker got Rend as an upgrade. It had Combo Attack: Rend for a long time and it was a dead upgrade, never chosen over Deep Wounds. I noticed about a week ago that it had Rend instead and gave it a try. I don't remember reading about the change in any patch notes, though.

11. Makorov

Same here.
    I saw @Karmavore 's archers and decided to make my own and found out you can just pile DoTs onto an enemy champ. Thanks to the sheer amount of range plus some form of tank in the front lines you can stall quite a bit and let the DoTs do the work for you.
    Of course I haven't played anyone that's far out of my league with that bg, so take my words with a grain of salt

12. avichaif

avichaif Devotee of the Blood Owl

lets talk about Ammunition
    i think it's work wrong,
    it's give u 4 range attack and after that the champ range go to 1
    and 5 champs have it, every 1 with other range
    3-5, 4-5, 4-6, 5-6, 5-7
    so the cost of this champ it's high because of the range they have,
    why not to change Ammunition to give X attacks with a range and then u lose the ability?

13. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

ammunition is terrible.

14. Daerthalus

Daerthalus Devotee of the Blood Owl

Forgive me, but I don't really understand the logic behind these types of changes. *By type of changes I am refering to the cost/cd increase on Sacrifice of Delim and other similar changes to other themes/factions*

I understand that you may have some data backing you up, but does your data show the Delim BG dominating so hard that it needs a nerf?
    I have not seen many top players playing Delim nor have it seen the BG winning a large % of ranked matches vs high ranked players.
    Maybe my observations are incorrect, perhaps someone has seen differently, but assuming I am correct...

Why does a Theme mechanic need a nerf when the theme its self is not overly strong?

Most themes have a few critical runes that make the theme work. Often those rune have abilities that are very efficient when used in theme to offset the opportunity cost of running the BG in theme instead of running a mixed meta BG.

I understand the desire to make every ability balanced cost-wise, but our Devs only have so much time and have to prioritize.

Wouldn't it be simpler and less time consuming to make a few changes (ie adding Delim abilites to Circle units) and then later on if those changes are proven to strong make other changes (changes to cost and cd of Sacrifice)?

I see alot of suggestions and comments made on how X ability is too expensive, or Y ability is too cheap.
    In many of the cases I agree with the logic presented, but shouldn't the overall picture be looked at?
    In the past many units were designed and/or changed to have additional 'less efficient' abilities to increase their cost and lower their efficiency. When this is done correctly, the unit ends up being 'balanced". Then later on, one of that unit's abilities is increased in cost or lowered in effect and the unit now becomes too weak.

Example: Snake Charmer
    This unit has a few underwhelming abilities which results in an increase to its cost and a decrease to its efficiency. As per my understanding, it was originally deemed necessary to do so in order to offset the unit's efficient summon spam. Summons and Boost abilities have since received a number of nerfs, but the unit received nothing to offset the changes.

Maybe it is a question of time. It probably takes a lot of time to nerf X ability and then subsequently buff every unit unfairly affected by the nerf. Would make sense to nerf the ability and then later on apply some buffs or changes to units that were collaterally affected....right?

Is that is the logic, then why waste resources to pre-nerf runes and/or themes when buffing them? If it is a waste of time to pre-buff nerfed runes, it should also be a waste of time to pre-nerf buffed runes.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  15. Sokolov

This isn't what is happening. The Devotee and Sacrifice deck is considered quite strong right now, and I believe the abilities are rightfully being nerfed. Regardless of any other changes, this was going to happen.

~

As for the runes getting Devotee, I don't believe, in those cases, the runes are being "buffed" so much as given an additional option to be playable in a different deck. This would be similar to adding an additional race or class to a rune, or adding a split faction to the rune.

~

So it is not a case of pre-nerfing buffs, but rather nerfing a theme, and also coincidentally giving some runes more upgrade options basically. Is it possible the new options improves the deck somewhat? Sure, but it is not the primary goal of the exercise.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  16. Xirone

The nora costs for Devotee and Sacrifice are also going up.

17. Daerthalus

Thank you very much for the reply.
    I had not realized that the Devotee Sacrifice deck was so strong. I guess the low number of players meant I ended up with a small sample size with which to base my observations on. I haven't seen many top ranked players running Delim consistantly, but you got access to far more data than I do. :)

I may have misunderstood and associated the change in abilities to the upcoming nerf. From my perspective your post seemed to indicate that the changes were coming along with the nerfs as a sort of counter balance.

Once again thank you for taking the time to answer my post.

18. Daerthalus

I like watching games. I'll try to catch a few with those players. Thanks!

19. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

elf/plant bg is better than delim. devotee champs suck and the devotee abilities cost a ton of nora.

20. Sokolov

I ended up doing just Sacrifice CD and cost.