The Current Metagame

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by doubtofbuddha, Dec 21, 2015.

1. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

Yes, and we see this with all sorts of things. A theme or mechanic can be sitting around languishing for a while and then suddenly become popular due to a particular player deciding to explore it or a shift in the metagame, and suddenly the mob demands this travesty be corrected.

It is regrettable but I am not sure it is really avoidable.

2. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

A lot of this comes down to the skill of the players, I mean I know some1 with 1300 ranking points who is playing Vashal.

3. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

It isn't avoidable within the community unless there's some deep shift in how people think, but the developer response certainly can be controlled: they can refuse to change things, or change things only slightly, and instead place the burden on players to adapt. That approach can be greatly helped by proper messaging. For instance -- Sok could just pop into a thread and say "We think the game has enough solutions out there for players to figure out solutions to these problems, and can thus definitively say that this will not be changed until it shows up as a consistent and dominant problem."

doubtofbuddha likes this.
  4. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

I'd like to see some on deploy shatter abilities like

Closest friendly unit within 6 spaces loses equipment.

Alakhami and Vorian like this.
  5. Vorian

This would be fantastic!

6. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Pox has become what it was before, a few overpowered themes that are played to death and one faction ix extremely overpowered. We just go in constant circles and do blanket nerfs to entire themes when one or two runes are what's breaking themes. When the community trys to help and give suggestions, what we end up getting is things like +5 nora on forge hammer and a longer cool down on sacrifice of d'elim.

I'm not saying it's all the devs fault because it's mostly the players fault for not wanting to nerf the overpowered runes in their own faction. As for players not liking a lot of abilities or new rune mechanics I think it mostly has a lot to do with new abilities not being tested by the right people.

Frostvine snare
    Gift: Pilgrim's offering
    Elemental burst
    absolute zero

Those are game mechanics i really enjoy and in my opinion are pretty well balanced.

Thing's we keep making but won't ever be able to balance them properly:

Global abilities
    Too many summon abilities in one theme
    very cheap equips
    god damn chopping blocks
    insta-kills

Honestly i think it's time we take a serious look at abilities and try and trim the fat from this game. I look at a lot of abilities in pox and go wow that's literally useless, I also wouldn't mind if we got rid of like 20 runes from each faction but that's just me.

Alakhami likes this.
  7. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

that's because ud's themes outside of minotaur suck,(fire, fire eater, demon, full blood, etc) people just throw together good stuff bg to play ud currently.

variety is the word i'd use. o_O top players is probably a false description as well, ud may not even have a single active "top player" atm. mediocre or good might be the words you were looking for.

8. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Might not be me, but I'm 1300 rating and playing vashals. I can tell you I don't think they're OP, they're one of my favourite themes - they just play so fluidly and smoothly.

9. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

And Deep Elfs.

10. Vorian

I absolutely agree! A nerf to Snaptooth Frenzy by putting vivify and impatient on the same upgrade line, and switching Snaptooth crypt to giving soul tap rather than essence capture is the only 2 nerfs they need. Seriously giving essence capture to a MA3 theme is just dumb! I can still rofl stomp Snaptooth players as long as they arnt using the Frenzy though... I could probably rofl stomp Salaman to as they are all squishy, so I don't think they could do with a nerf. I may lose my first 1-2 matches to them but once I figure them out it will be rofl stomping time. Its only when a rune is consistently game winning for a cheap price that I call for a nerf, and b4 I do I see if it is affecting pro players the same way.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  11. fingreen

fingreen The King of Potatoes

I like theme decks... I don't think 1 or 2 great card in a theme is that much of a problem...

The problem is card that is strong with everything~~
    Also that race ability is just not as cool~