Police shoots 12 year old with toy gun, cops walk

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Dec 29, 2015.

1. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

(Highlighting my addition).

Stubborn facts keep popping your arguments.

#1: Brandishing and open carry are NOT the same thing. The difference is gigantic.

#2: Owning a gun is as American as apple pie. Tell me more about these pro gun rallies in which lots of people wave their guns around. Your allegation indicates "gun nuts" are extremely irresponsibly everywhere else but my state, Washington. Do you mean gun conventions?

Your last sentence is proof positive that you don't know why the cops went to that location, or that you don't care about the actual details. Dispassionate logic is more compelling to me than a flood of emotion.

#3: Cops are supposed to protect and serve the innocent, and catch/punish the guilty. I WANT them to target anyone and everyone that is or might be committing crime--no matter the gender or race or religion or...

#4: No matter how much you evade, statistics prove that blacks are committing more crimes than whites.

#5: Conservatives want a better society. We want real change. Blaming "whitey" will NEVER save or improve lives.

2. ssez

ssez I need me some PIE!

Just wanted to put this here for now, don't have time for a long post but will elaborate later :)

Some simple facts to think about first

Around 13 per cent of Americans are black, according to the estimates from the US Census Bureau.

According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, black offenders committed 52 per cent of homicides recorded in the data between 1980 and 2008. Only 45 per cent of the offenders were white.

So just think on that for a minute, 13 percent of the population which is one race commits more than half of all homicides over a almost 30 year span. so 13 percent commit 52 percent of homicides. That's a crazy number.

13%=52% of homicides
    87%=48% of homicides

3. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Oh I whole heatedly agree that it needs to change. Especially the labeling.

4. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Possibly inaccurate. Yes statistics show blacks are shot an killed more often in NYC, but of what portion of crimes are committed by blacks. If the portions are exactly the same as they are here, then this graph is irrelevant. This can't just be the whole trend.

Ohmin likes this.
  5. SkeletonKing

SkeletonKing The King of Potatoes

On the topic of "Black people commit more crimes so they *should* be shot more by police.

Committing crimes doesn't mean you need to get shot. :mad:
    I mean come on, the cops are literally shooting black kids for jaywalking!
    The civilized world has largely moved past using guns as a first response by police, most civilized countries try to use non-violent means unless every other option is exhausted.

Ok, this is pure BS.
    Conservatives are literally the mustache twirling villains from old cartoons.

Conservatives want rich people to get richer and everyone else can go %&*# off. (The worst part about this is that poor conservative go along with it)*
    Conservatives want women to be baby making machines with no rights over their own bodies.
    Conservatives want white people armed and black people in prison.
    Conservatives would see the whole planet burn if it means profit.
    Conservatives want America to be a "Christian Nation" in the same way Iran is a "Muslim Nation."
    Conservatives want middle-class Americans to pay a higher percentage of their income as taxes than the rich do.
    Conservatives want to see our national budget crushed by needless spending on the Military.
    Conservatives would see our government grind to a halt just to make a point.

Liberals want everyone to receive payment equal to the work they put in. (ie, someone working hard in a facotry deserves as much, if not more, than the CEO sitting in a nice chair).
    Liberals want gender and racial equality, with women able to make decisions over their own bodies.
    Liberals want to see the for-profit prison system removed entirely and replaced with something the focuses on education over imprisonment.
    Liberals want us to have a planet still remaining for future generations.
    Liberals want to make sure that Religion has no place in Government, as the founding fathers established.
    Liberals want middle-class Americans to pay an equal or lower percentage of their income as taxes than the rich do.
    Liberals want to see the wasteful military spending done away with, only spending money on innovation, needed items, and the soldiers themselves.
    Liberals understand that government serves a purpose and it's the corporations who are corrupting it.

The lists could go on forever...
    Liberals are fighting for a better future, and are being held back at every turn by conservatives who care about nothing more than money and religion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*There seems to be this myth among conservatives that in America "If you work hard, you will be rewarded", but that's just not true.
    For example, someone working in a warehouse, sweating, and breaking themselves day after day will never get rich, even though he is working VERY hard.
    Someone whose daddy owned a corporation and they get it as a birthday present will always make more.
    Working Hard in America doesn't make you more money.

Liberals want to change that, so working hard in America DOES make you more money.
    A higher minimum wage, a higher tax rate for those who can spare it.

BurnPyro and Geressen like this.
  6. SkeletonKing

And before you come back with some "No, that's not the way it is" ...

This isn't just how American Liberals see it, this is how most of the civilized world sees it.

When I go to Germany or the Netherlands, I'm constantly flooded with questions about how Republicans can be so blatantly evil and still be elected into office.

Everyone else in the world sees it, only American Conservatives are blind to how much damage they are doing. :confused:

BurnPyro likes this.
  7. DarkJello

Everyone huh? Sounds like u wrapped it all up with a neat bow. Save the world = kill all American conservatives and republicans. Molon labe! Let me guess, you think totalitarianism will finally work because of hipster technology that is free? SMH.

Not gonna waste my time refuting your "creative" list of doom and skullduggery. GL IRL.

8. SkeletonKing

I'm doing great in real life. I'm married, own a successful business, and travel internationally for vacations.

By the way, the international travel bit is the important part. Once you leave America and really talk with people from around the world, it's very clear how far behind America has fallen on a lot of issues.
    We have so much potential, and it's unfortunate a portion of our population is so hellbent on stopping that potential from reaching fruition.

And nobody said we need to kill the conservatives, that's a pretty crazy leap there. The preferable thing would be to bring them into the 21st century.

...but I do appreciate your wishes of good luck. ;)

BurnPyro likes this.
  9. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

... so ... It's not ?
    Apple pie was English in 1381 wich seems to predate even the discovery of the americas by western civilization in 1492. and even then I believe the states were not around by the time of the earliest known instance of the Dutch recipe in 1514.

also and I know DJ won't read this because he put me on ignore as part of his becoming part of a cult plan, but skeleton king is right about people in the world and their opinion on the US right, literally every time these threads are discussion between people from europe and him.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  10. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I thought very few crimes carried the death penalty and that the police should arrest people who are then presumed innocent until proven guilty while they are put on trial to determine guilt and punishment.

Turns out the police just shoots people.

11. DarkJello

Glad to hear. I became fluent in Spanish while living in Spain. 'Twas a good year.

Happy new year to you and yours.

12. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Ohmin and Geressen like this.
  13. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I link them when they speak out on on subjects you are too too stuck in your own world for to understand.

Geressen likes this.
  14. DarkJello

So you believe that a young man in Belgium knows more about reality in America, thanks to a vid by a comedian, than someone who has nearly 2 decades of experience working with individuals and families in a medical setting IN America?

It is your anemic life resume that is the problem. That is why you are confused.

15. DarkJello

Second time watching this guy, and he is dangerously inept.

Someone called the cops to the area, because a young man with a gun--possibly fake--made them nervous. Two cops promptly went to the indicated area, which is in a shady part of town. As the cops approached, the 5 foot 7 inch tall 195 pound 12 year old brandished a real looking pistol. Open carry and drawing on a cop are VERY different. It was a fatal mistake. A grand jury went over the investigation, and dismissed the charges. The emotional statements of some in the media don't hold up under logical scrutiny. Huge tragedy. Hopefully others learn not to brandish a weapon--real or fake--at anyone else.

16. negatorxx

negatorxx I need me some PIE!

it sure does make discussion easier if you dictate the terms of your opponents position. its really sad some people stoop to such levels of strawmanned bullshit to make themselves feel better about their worldview.

Ohmin, ssez and DarkJello like this.
  17. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I wouldn't say "evil", but the few times I have conversations with peers about US politics, they can't seem to get past how Republicans actually get people that aren't white rich males to vote for them. Trying to explain that the majority of Republicans believes in no government and the trickle down effect in the economy is insanely hard, mostly because I'm not a fan.

18. DarkJello

Your analysis of what "the majority of republicans believes" is completely wrong.

Tell me more about "the trickle down effect in the economy" that does not exist.

19. ssez

ssez I need me some PIE!

New York post Article

"To hear the media tell it, America is in the grip of an unprecedented crime wave, an orgy of wanton murder in which heavily armed thugs randomly gun down innocent unarmed people, some of them teens, just for sport.

Except that these homicidal goons are wearing the blues and badges of American police departments.

It’s the narrative that’s given rise to the protest movement Black Lives Matter and to a growing public mistrust of the police in general. From Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo., to the recent shooting of a middle-aged woman and a teen in Chicago, the body count seemingly keeps rising, exacerbating racial tensions and keeping the nation on edge. And each incident is breathlessly reported by a media determined to show that America remains deeply, irredeemably racist.

Problem is, it’s simply not true.

Last week, The Washington Post published a study of the police shootings that took place in 2015. Likely they intended the story to be shocking — as on Dec. 24, 965 people were killed by police! Instead, the report quells the notion that trigger-happy cops are out hunting for civilian victims, especially African-Americans. Among its key findings:

• White cops shooting unarmed black men accounted for less than 4% of fatal police shootings.
    • In three-quarters of the incidents, cops were either under attack themselves or defending civilians. In other words, doing their jobs.
    • The majority of those killed were brandishing weapons, suicidal or mentally troubled or bolted when ordered to surrender.
    • Nearly a third of police shootings resulted from car chases that began with a minor traffic stop.
    The moral of this story is: Don’t point a gun at the cops and don’t run when they tell you stop, and you’re likely to survive. Since the population of the US is about 318 million people, a thousand deaths at the hands of police works out to 1 in 318,000. You have a better chance of being killed in a violent storm (1 in 68,000) or slipping in the tub (1 in 11,500) than being shot by a cop, no matter what color you are.

But even these figures are deceptive. On those 965 killed, only 90 were unarmed, and the majority of those were white. (And that doesn’t take into account other extenuating circumstances besides a weapon that would have caused a police officer to fire).

Still, the “killer cop” narrative refuses to die, and The Washington Post decided to throw fuel on the racial fire with context-free statements like these: “Although black men make up only 6% of the US population, they account for 40% of the unarmed men shot to death by police this year.”

This ignores the fact that black violent-crime rates are far higher than those of whites. According to the Department of Justice, blacks committed 52.5% of the murders in America from 1980-2008, when they represented 12.6% of the population.

This certainly does not excuse cases of police misconduct. Bad cops should be investigated and tried. The death of Walter Scott in South Carolina last spring — shot in the back while fleeing a white police officer after a routine traffic stop — resulted in the indictment of the cop, who is now awaiting trial. And the killing of Quintonio LeGrier and Bettie Jones in Chicago on Dec. 26, after the troubled LeGrier allegedly became “combative” with officers, cries out for further investigation.

But these incidents don’t prove that the “real problem” is cops. This isn’t an “epidemic.” And it isn’t racist to suggest that some perspective is warranted here.

Yet, encouraged by liberal politicians, the rhetoric of protesters has become more heated, poisoning relations between local police and the folks they serve. Most tragically, it’s resulted in the murders of police officers, such as NYPD officers Wenjian Liu and Rafael Ramos, killed in a Brooklyn ambush just over a year ago.

Against the numbers cited by The Washington Post, what about this one: The worst neighborhoods in Chicago — say, West Garfield Park, where gangs run rampant — have a higher murder rate (116.7 per 100,000) than world murder capitals like Honduras (90.4).

But no, best not to mention. That only distracts from the real problem — the cops trying to stop it."

So you are about 4 times more likely to die in a storm than be killed by cops and what? 30 times more likely to die slipping in the tub. Lets focus on something that really matters like saving way more lives by making slip proof bathtubs! that's a true epidemic not a few people killed by cops! I wish people would worry about important things rather than stoking fears over nothing. Remember you are four times more likely to die in a storm than by a cop shooting you, I suspect posts about storm safety to take over the net now because soooooooo many people are concerned about lives right ?

1000 people killed by cops in a year.. pffft, bathtubs are way scarier. way to hype up a non problem. I will have to pull up some bathtub death statistics later :)

To boil it down even further- bathtubs and storms are way more likely to kill blacks than cops, so if you are black or white you are ignorant if you fear cops killing you more than a storm or bathtub.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
    DarkJello, IMAGIRL and Ohmin like this.
  20. negatorxx

negatorxx I need me some PIE!

hey look, facts. just what this thread needed.

DarkJello and ssez like this.