Honestly... Questions that scare you.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Anotherblackman, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

How the firk did Bruce jenner win woman of the year as a man?

Why did fetty wap blow up with a patchless no eye?

SaintKiwi and mw24 like this.
  2. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Why is it acceptable to make fun of white people, but if a white person makes fun of *insert minority* all hell breaks loose?

3. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

What will life be like for me in 5 years?

Not really a question, but a quote that does scare me. "Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." - Arthur C. Clarke

4. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

The "we arent alone" does not scare me at all. If we are alone, that's really scary. Like wtf, the universe is gigantic and we're the only living shits?

5. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I know right? What scares me about the "we aren't alone" is something that happened to me on Mass Effect 2, and a comment by Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Neil made a comment - I forget where, possibly Star Talk Radio - about Humanity, and Ants. We are so, advanced that we don't even consider Ants when walking, when building a house, a mine, a farm. There could be, a civilization out there so advanced that see us as nothing more than Ants. Our buildings? Just really big ant mounds. They may think nothing of us at all, in the same way we disregard ants. No hate, malice, or event intent to harm us. We are just so below them that we aren't even a thought deserving of a moment of their time.

He also goes on to say that in the future (I forget the time frame) that there will come a time when College studies today are considered basic human knowledge that children should've already learned by their teens as we advance on such a technological, and philosophical levels.

This made me remember one of the greatest scenes I've ever come across in a video game. At the moment I can only think of one other during Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning about Life. Tho that is a topic for another time. The Mass Effect moment is well shown on Youtube.

Bear in mind that the life span of humans in this game is now ~ 180 Years. However these recruits are already learning about Newton's Laws in space. The Instructor is throwing this knowledge at them like they should've already learned this in basic training. What he is saying is much of what I've already thought about with Star Wars. All these massive battles, and all these gigantic space lasers, and plasma weaponry being fired. What if they impact some planet off in the distance? Now I figure solar winds, and radiation discharges from multiple sources could feasibly whittle down these pitiful energy bursts of lasers. However the Mass Effect is talking about a Kinetic Slug. Basically throwing a massive rock at the enemy. If it misses, it's just like an arrow that missed its target. It's going to keep going until it hits something. That could be a tree, or it could be something much worse.

So yeah. Being alone in the universe scares me a lot. However, not being alone in the universe also scares me.

6. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I think a good question is will we destroy the earth before we make contact with Aliens?

IMAGIRL likes this.
  7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

How lazy would I be if I was a billionaire?

IMAGIRL and Dagda like this.
  8. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

This was one of my favorite parts of the game as well. If I recall correctly it was one of the reasons humans were so feared when they first appeared on the intergalactic scene everyone else had "evolved" technologically to the point of using laser and plasma weapons. Defensive technology had evolved on a similar scale and shields had been developed to counter them. Humans show up and they're throwing around nuclear and kinetic weapons that mess up some peoples days and everyone else is like wtf.

Tweek516 and IMAGIRL like this.
  9. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

Why did you apply for this job?
    What do you know about our company?
    What are your salary expectations?

----

Will we ever get rid of religion?
    Are people who are smarter than me see me the same way as I see people who are more stupid than I am?
    It worked fine the day before Friday. Then I tried to print a report from our ERP software which caused the software to crash and the print job to not go through. Now every time I try to launch the software it gives me an error and closes itself. I also cannot print anymore from any application. Can you help me to resolve those issues?

IMAGIRL likes this.
  10. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Is it an African Swallow, or a European Swallow?

What is your favorite color?

------------------------------------------

More seriously...

Is my "optimism" concerning humanity really warranted?

What more could I be doing to improve my own situation, and the other situations which I have any influence over?

Will I finish my novel before or after G RR Martin finishes his?

Also, the question in Mass Effect 2 regarding Geth. You know the one (if you've played it anyway).

IMAGIRL likes this.
  11. Lop

Lop The King of Potatoes

do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?

what would happen if all countries are ruled by financial institutions?

12. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

open a history book and you may find the answer...

13. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

both of them make me uncomfortable.

i believe bruce has the right to act as a women if he wants but i dont believe a person can change their gender... in my opinion you are what you were born until you die.(gender) I consider bruce to be a gay man not a woman o_O. I think the people who consider him a woman now are insane.

I dont listen to fetty wap but I wish he had 2 regular eyes, I feel bad that he doesnt. Maybe in the future they will be able to make him a new eye, organic or robotic.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  14. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Does this unit have a soul?

15. SaintKiwi

SaintKiwi I need me some PIE!

u dum

mw24 likes this.
  16. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Been going through peroids with mine. Since the catastrophe of my previous novel I've been less than inspired in the years since. Within the last two months i came up with a main cast, but the overall story is mush. I have quite a bit of trouble just sitiing down and writing. I get inspirered while taking a shower. I guess the monotonous task of personal hygiene frees my mind to think about other things. So I've been getting bits amd pieces to the story to work with. My main problem though is just being in the mind set to properly get it done.

Best of luck to us both I guesss. We'll definitely need it. ;)

Ohmin likes this.
  17. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

It is a fair question.

18. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

because in the united states of america other races dont have a history of oppressing people, extreme racism, slavery, and genocide. that's the short answer to cydna's question.

racism is wrong regardless but this is the reason.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    badgerale likes this.
  19. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

generally speaking, the socially acceptable group to make fun of has been the one on top.

not to imply that all top-of-the-ladder groups took it the same way, but for the most part making fun of minority / downtrodden voices is more like kicking them when they're down, and raises more of an emotional response than mocking the more content (on average) top.

whites still have a pretty strong history of dominance around the world (the list of largest empires ever has 5 of the top 10 being white (britain, russia, spain, portugal, france), with 2 to china, 2 to the early caliphates, and 1 to the mongols as well). in the us specifically, there's an intensely long streak of white dominance. unfortunately that doesn't seem to just go away when we elect a black president (sorry, should that have been "half-white"? i always get mixed up on this)

i realize that this may seem unfair to people who, while white, don't consider themselves as dominant in much of any way (not counting the bedroom guffaw guffaw guffaw), and to a point yeah, i'd agree (in that being white isn't an inherently obvious advantage to disadvantaged white people). but the jokes aren't about you specifically, they're about White People.

i wrote all this a while ago, not bothering to reread it rn.

badgerale likes this.
  20. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

its less about being on the top economically and more about the bad history. Ironically the history is the reason for the economics in this country in the first place.(why many white people are rich compared to non whites in america, asians fared better than other minorities because they came here on their own with their families and resources unlike what happened to blacks and latinos, they also made more of an attempt to assimilate for economic reasons something latinos and blacks dont do as much because of the bad history and in an attempt to preserve their culture)

asians were opressed when they came to this country and often times even barred from entering, blacks were taken from africa killed, enslaved, and oppressed even after they were freed. native americans were basically wiped out.(genocide) South americans including mexicans are the remnants of the native americans. Japanese were even put into internment camps during world war 2(something thatd never happen to a european race in america) and given reparations because of it much later, something that african americans and most natives will never receive because white americans would rather forget about 300+years of free labor/slavery/genocide than attempting to pay anything close to a fair amount.(because its financially convenient for them in the short term even if bringing formerly enslaved people out of poverty would be beneficial to the country in the long term) The UN even said that america should consider reparations for slavery but the UN is worthless, reparations will never happen in this country as long as its majority white because most white people are completely against even the idea.

Also european and american powers stole from, conquered, and colonized many if not nearly all of asian and african's home countries as well. Many asian and africans countries are in chaos, extreme poverty, and destroyed as a result.( the biggest diamond in the world is from africa and in the possession of a european nation. england i think, pretty disturbing)

this all happened in the last 300-500 years up till the present. What's really amazing is that this history is available to the worlds people to learn about, this is probably a big part of the reason the terrorist in the middle east exist today.(they were also invaded by european powers) I am suprised they didnt at least try to alter the history of what happened, they do a little in texas claiming the civil war started over states rights and not slavery.

Idk about the present america but the history of america is that of an evil country, maybe people are just naturally that way. This world and its people are messed up...

the reason the world isnt more anti western europe/america is because of economic reasons, people will sell their souls for a dollar. Also because the cia(they like to install their own leaders, remove ones they don't like, and promote propaganda) and the american millitary exist...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016