Dread, -Dmg, Frighten, etc deck... Need ideas/possible Help

Discussion in 'Forsaken Wastes' started by armyguyclaude, Feb 17, 2016.

1. armyguyclaude

armyguyclaude Member

Hi. Trying to make a meta-ish type deck to climb ladders with. Though I've ran into multiple different types of problems and I'm so new to this game (I constantly change out runes as I face new themes of decks (So many out there)), I'm trying to make a -Dmg type deck. After around 40 different revamps this is what I've come up with. But I know you guys are more accommodated to this game and know more about it, so I figured I would try and get some help. Hope you guys can figure out where my weak points are and how to improve them while keeping the theme. Thanks.

I will answer any questions you might have to the best of my abilities.

https://poxbase.com/deck/CkJcxBcx9CuclVchbCh+c67CawC39cwuc4ns6Zsgshs5dSZr3lrTr2Pr2Iexe1=e2J

[​IMG]

Suggestions:
    1) (Lushiris) Take 1 weaken out and replace with hungry dead spell
    2) (My own) Replace Risen Grenadier's for Risen Mogas. (cheaper, keeps with aoe, gives -dmg theme, still undead to gain majority of bonuses)
    3) (My Own) add in 2x repurpose, use suggestion 2, and somehow bring back 2x skeletal berserkers to my bg
    4) (My Own) Replace Horrific Aura with Life Drinker on Angel of Death

Questions:
    Why Eye of Serkan? (lushiris)
    Detect, Frightful Blows, different attack type, ranged

Why weaken? (lushiris)
    Keeps with theme, fearless enemies, big hitter bgs

Changelog:
    1) Replaced 1x Weaken with Hungry Dead
    2) Replaced Experimental Warspirit with Aspect of Death. (Originally had Warspirit in for Dispel until I realized dispel isn't the same as cleanse).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  2. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Would recommend a Bonewing. Dread+defender and elusive. combined with frightful aura it can stack your defense fairly high and also another damage reduction.

Would also add in a despoil since if you're lowering enemy damage enough they're only going to be able to damage you with spells and killing 1 dread unit goes a long way in pushing back against this kind of deck so negating that option can be extremely helpful.

would advise against weaken in general cleanse is too prolific for anything of the sough to be useful

3. armyguyclaude

armyguyclaude Member

What would you suggest taking out for Bonewing? I've thought about bonewing several times, but not sure how to accomodate him.

Also thanks for the despoil idea. I will try it. Spells have been kicking my butt recently.

4. armyguyclaude

armyguyclaude Member

Testing out Blinking Creeper instead of Eye of Serkan. Worried about cost and lack of range. But looking forward to the +dread. Also testing out Elsari Culler, Tormented Priest, Bonewings, Moragen, Despoil, Soul Reaver, and Reaper's Blade.

5. Mister Tuggles

Mister Tuggles I need me some PIE!

I've been attempting to build a deck around witches, and dread. With curse stacks, and a few dread champs around it seems to do "ok" right now. Still a lot of tweaking to do though.

6. armyguyclaude

armyguyclaude Member

The big problem I've been facing with this type of deck are big hitter type decks. Surge, UD, etc. Poison BG's are op. And the lack of non Disease AoE options hurts FW. I think we got 5 or less. *Risen Grenadier, Wretched Witch, Hoarfrost Dragon* And -Dmg BG's seem to have wicked high nora costs.

Another big problem I've got are big melee fighters. Surprisingly enough. On any big map, where I've focused on Dread as my primary skill, I've already lost and become too split up by faster bg's with mobility.

TBH I keep finding I need too much and constantly have too little.

Need more mobility. Need better front line options. Need better units vs melee. Need better options vs ramp dmg bg's. Need lower nora cost champs.

Trying Boneshredder and Cleric of Unrest. Want to test General Korsein as well at some point.

So far Blinking Creeper doesn't feel any better than Eye of Serkan, but I'm hoping to get more time with him. Elsari Culler just felt like way too much nora for too little impact. I also misread afflict so I'm deciding on better options for Tormented Priest if I need them in the future, or just possibly swapping Afflict out with Shrive. The problem I had with Bonewings initially was he doesn't do jack against melee units and that's what I keep having problems with. Haven't had problems with ranged at all yet, but more testing will be needed. Took out reaper's blade for cloak of skulls to test +def and cheese with Boneshredder. Haven't used Moragen yet. Keep finding other champs I would rather play than her each time. Haven't used despoil yet, but have needed it several times. I think it's my lack of skill that has to do with it.

In a toss up on equips at the moment. Constantly changing them in and out. Soul Reaver, Reaper's Blade, Darkmarsh Staff, Stitched Hex Doll, Cursed Blade, Ethereal Mindshank, Fleshsewn Helm, and now cloak of skulls.

I found I actually used Ethereal Mindshank more freely than cursed blade and constantly wanted to hold onto cursed blade waiting for the next bigger and badder enemy. Also I found opponents less willing to shatter ethereal mindshank than cursed blade allowing it to stay in play longer. Darkmarsh + Fleshsewn were more utility for spot defenses. Reaper's Blade because of my lack of dmg. Soul Reaver becausemy big hitter Angel of Death constantly gets kited (Usually with spells though, so Despoil might make Soulreaver obsolete). Stitched Hex Doll, haven't actually used it, but its synergy with this deck is unparalleled.

I think in general, I might need to just give in and go headless zombie for melee counter. (On side note, I miss Boneguard Infantry).

7. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

High raw damage, and potentially indirect damage, will indeed rip apart Dread decks. There isn't really much you can do about that, to be honest, other than include a plan-B module somewhere in your deck. Wandering Zombie can be alright as a cheap stopgap.

8. armyguyclaude

armyguyclaude Member

TBH Dread (while at 10 nora) feels like it just lacks too much. It feels like the majority of Dread champions are lackluster. I've thought about split factioning, but I don't have the resources for that right now.

9. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

https://poxbase.com/deck/CkJCxBCu=CdVCuCpbCh+coXC39s2Qs56s15s4Nshsnr3lrTr8EJE3y

If you're gonna go Dread, go all-out with it. Dread is one of those abilities that absolutely requires you run as much of it as possible. Only running a few Dread units will give your deck even more problems vs. Dread's natural counters (high raw damage).

One thing you're going to have to get used to with Dread decks is that your champions are going to cost a lot of nora. Tomb helps with that, but it's unfortunately the case that champions with Dread are naturally weaker than other champions with similar costs purely because Dread is such a strong mechanic when allowed to stack.

The main benefit of this deck over the other iterations is that it includes more counters to things Dread is weak to. Ancient's Protection and Absorb Magic counter spot removal/AOE spells, while the new Mindflayer equipment provides Combat Awareness and Restraining Aura to deal with champion-based abilities. Aspect of Death also puts in a lot of work to deal with dangerous threats.

Cursed Blade is not needed because anything with enough damage that you'd want to put Cursed Blade on can just be Doomed instead. In its place, Ethereal Mindshank is a very efficient negative equipment that also reduces speed. You could also swap out the Boneguards for Broken Boneses; Split is quite difficult to handle when all your champions have ~3 damage. The stacking auras of Defender from Bonewing and Frightful Aura from Risen Yeti results in +6 total defense along with all the damage reduction.

This would probably be the deck I'd run if I was really dedicated to playing Dread.