Build a Dev Battlegroup Contest Has Ended & We Have a Winner

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Senshu, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Paper Skull

Paper Skull I need me some PIE!

But then you'd mess up the count. It still needs to be 15/15.

2. ARlSTOTLE

ARlSTOTLE The King of Potatoes

Hence why I said alter it slightly to make it work. There is easily enough variety in both factions to make that change work. And since he seems to be focusing it around the pox renovators for the Owl overseer, it makes sense that he should make the owls all they could possibly be.

3. Vallassa

Vallassa The King of Potatoes

Just PM ipox. I'm sure he will help out you Dev's with all the battle group silliness you need.

4. Silveraine

Silveraine I need me some PIE!

Slam Dung!
    Well its a pretty old battlegroup which I used to have fun with. But has new elements thanks to the ultra OP augur :p

Basic idea is to deploy traps all over the map and use your champs with slam to set em off. Other elements that cause damage upon movement can also be used such as unstable tiger's eye & unstable ground. Interesting thing is that mystic whirlpool is actually a great rune in this battlegroup!
    It's horribly annoying to play against, as for the player who is using it, it takes a bit of practice to get the positioning right.

So get slamming and have fun!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  5. Bobzie

Bobzie The King of Potatoes

6. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

http://poxbase.com/#!/deck/CgPctCdtCd_CdwCdqC5LChYCjUckBS46S87sKr39r2LrirYr2xE1A

This is an idea I had quite recently and can't play out myself since I don't have all the runes. There's a lot of synergy there - a bunch of Grintmaws at the frontline, and crossing both FS and IS, tons and tons of knockback effects. Those work both with the lot of poisonous fumes and poison traps aswell as with the unstable ground produced by the magnificients, and the deafening auras of the singers. Sashes incorporate the tankiest FS champs like Sixul and the privateer cap into the Grintmaw battle line while also providing a lot of functionality like shatter, ping and pull. Bopper Shaman provides healing, and font of restoration works perfectly with the high HP of the Grinties.

7. Modoch

Modoch The King of Potatoes

http://www.poxbase.com/#!/deck/C89C...3+CgNs3Bs2bs7Fs2Hs84s2-s73s7usOsAr2Ar2qe2ge3w

SL/UD Punish Aura BG

The point of this bg is to create a damned if you do damned if you don't (move) scenario for your opponent. Lots of ways to win with this one, but it has been a bit of a feast or famine BG for me in the past. Fun to play though, and I was able to win quite a few games that I probably shouldn't have with a timely spell or ability usage.

8. RKane

RKane Member

http://poxbase.com/#!/deck/CtJCiNC4@CofCpLcu-CuTCkbs3Bs5zsys2HSns6FsDs5@S4fS5ar2Ae2y

UD/FW

Designed to be a fun bg, rather that a top tier one. The idea is to incapacitate your opponent and befoul them to gain momentum. At the right time you can cocoon the opponent and work your way with loss of life attacks, either natural ones or through soulreave. Breath of ash to gain ground and provide false security for the opponent since you have loss of life attacks on demand, steal life and soul corruption for cocoon combos while keeping the opponent befouled and demolish to keep the side effects of soulreave in check. Corrupted cultise isnt really a burden if you keep in mind a single imp summon safe from harm will keep him viable. Enjoy!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  9. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

Intriguing Contest. Here is my contribution to competitive and absurd.
    This is a full-fledged Trickdeck, which wins by having a Nightmare run across the entire map, destroying the opponent's Shrine with one or two attacks.

The Battlegroup evolves around the following Runes:

• Masochism
    • Imp Familiar
    • Nightmare
    • Mirrorhold / Blinding Reflection
    • Phoenix Anklet / Healing Hand

The basic combo is this:

1. Play Imp Familiar, use Replicate.
    2. Wait until both Familiars have full AP.
    3. Cast Mirrorhold or Blinding Reflection on Imp Familiar.
    4. Use Flame Charge with Imp Familiar and the replicate.
    5. Play Nightmare.
    6. Cast Masochism on Nightmare.
    7. Equip Nightmare with a Phoenix Anklet (preferred) or Healing Hand.
    8. Walk the Nightmare towards your opponent's Shrine.
    9. Walk on the Lava Trail with the Imp Familiar, replicated Imp Familiar and Imp Familiar Illusions until Nightmare has full AP again.
    10. Have Nightmare move closer to the opponent's Shrine.
    11. Loop steps 8. and 9. until you get to your opponent's Shrine with enough damage to destroy it with one or two attacks. If neccessary, move one Familiar as far as possible, killing the Nightmare. It will be revived by Phoenix Anklet at full HP.
    12. If needed, and if resources are available, equip Scepter of Onus or Firelight Gem to the Nightmare, increasing its damage even further.
    13. Win the game by attacking and destroying the Shrine.

Since not everyone is familiar with the Runes in this deck, here is a slightly longer explanation of the inner workings of this Battlegroup. The one Rune that makes this all possible it Masochism:

This spell converts damage taken into AP and DMG. The intent for this spell in this deck is to deal damage to your own champions, which will then be redirected to one single champion of your choice, so that this champion will gain enough AP and DMG to destroy the opponent's Shrine.

This one champion, all the damage will be redirected to, is the Nightmare.

Nightmare has three interesting properties: Fire Eater, Trail: Lava, and Initiative. Initiative is great to have, but those that really take the biscuit are Fire Eater and Trail: Lava. If Nightmare moves, it is affected by its own Lava Trail, but instead of taking 4 points of damage, it is healed for half that damage instead, due to Fire Eater.

Assume you had cast Masochism on a Nightmare. If anything walks on its Lava Trail, it takes 4 damage, redirecting 2 points of those damage to the Nightmare. For every 3 AP spent by walking on its Lava Trail, 6 points of damage are redirected to the Nightmare. For every 5 points of damage redirected, it gains 1 AP and 1 damage from Masochism. For the 1 AP it gained, it may move one space, healing 2 HP from Fire Eater. So if it takes 5 damage, it may heal 2 points of damage in return. Not enough to keep it alive.

This is why Imp Familiar is required.

It has two relevant properties. Replicate and Flame Charge. For this combo, two instances of Flame Charge are required, by replicating the Imp Familiar, there is no need to play a second Imp Familiar, which saves a lot of Nora.

Assuming two Imp Familiars are in the game, two instances of Flame Charge will increase all Fire damage by 4 points. For the Nightmare combo above, this means:

Walking on the Fire Trail now deals 8 damage to it, of those 8 damage, 6 points are redirected to Nightmare. So for every AP spent on the Lava Trail for any champion, Nightmare gains 1 AP and 1 point of damage. Now, if Nightmare moves 1 space, it takes 8 damage from its own Fire Trail, but is instead healed for half of that damage, 4 points.

So, for every point of AP, any of your Champions spend on the Lava Trail, Nightmare gains 1 AP and, if it is moving, takes 2 points of damage. If it is not moving, it takes the full damage. So in the end, to gain enough AP to attack two times, it needs to be healed. This may be done with Phoenix Anklet (ST equipment) or Healing Hand (ST spell). The first heals the champion, which it is equipped to, to full HP, when it falls below 0 HP, the other heals the champion to half its maximum HP if the HP fall below 5. Obviously, the Anklet is the better choice in this deck, for its drawbacks may be neglected entirely.

We now have almost completed the combo: We have a mechanic, that converts AP of all any champions to AP and damage for one champion. Now we need enough champions that can provide AP to win the game. The most cost effective solution to this is casting Mirrorhold or Blinding Reflection on the Imp Familiar. Each spell creates 3 illusory copies of the champion. Those illusions cannot attack or use abilities, but they can spend AP, and the damage they would take from Lava Trail is still redirected to the Nightmare; and this is all that matters.

With all this done, move the Nightmare next to your opponent's Shrine. Two attacks, sometimes even one, should now suffice to destroy the Shrine and to win the game.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  10. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

At first I thought to myself 'why make this thread before the revamp is done'? Then it hit me. What a great way to make a nerf hit list.

11. polltroy

polltroy I need me some PIE!

Its what I thought too :) not so smart move iPox to reveal such cool moves.

12. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

You could think this was to learn some interesting layers of synergy that they may be unaware of so they don't remove them unnecessarily.

13. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

A reminder: The contest ends Tomorrow April 18th at 10AM PDT.

There have been some very interesting submissions so far. Will there be any last minute submissions that beat all the others? I guess we can only wait and see.

HalfGodBro likes this.
  14. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

This deck is all about taking advantage of my current favorite mechanic, mutation. I can't test it myself due to the lack of Draksar Morphs, but it should be good. Between Cocoon, Mutation, and Horrific Mutation, you can get +3 speed, giving your fastest champs speed 10. There is enough alt damage with acid and fire. Channel Violence will get you plenty of charges, as well as multiattack on most of your champs. Broodguardian has detection as well as summoning real champs if you use death charged.

http://poxbase.com/#!/deck/cjDCgLCptCoDCgVCaKcgXchwCgBS6LS6wS4iS6US5tS7usYR2q

15. rogreborn

rogreborn Devotee of the Blood Owl

http://poxbase.com/#!/deck/cWc5icktCdnCdbCdQci4CdmcqiCjGc3-s6Ls6wsas84s5ts73s7uSYs64s5jrPr2qr3Q

Skywings, super competitive and favors a rush attack. I love this battle group and it so easy to play. Basically you just rush your opponent and use Rumblers and Vexian neodraks to rip faces off. I threw in the two heros because i like them but you could always take them out and put in another Prismatic and maybe a Skybreak or Eminent.

Basically its very competitive and very easy to play. Just rush and power turn your opponent into the ground.

16. entropy222

entropy222 The King of Potatoes

Saw a similar one on here, but it's missing the key component - mine is called Anger Issues

http://poxbase.com/#!/deck/cu7CuwconckPcktChLCdbCi4camcgNs7@s19sas5uS2Ls6Us84s73s7ur1_r30e4e2PE1O

ST/SL - Dragons for the owls? We got dragons for the owls. We got owls too. We even got owls that turn into dragons.

Have you seen a rage band on a triple-auraed skybreak in the middle of like 5 units? Slap a horrific mutation down all willy-nilly if you need, and suddenly it's a lot of fury, you can bet that.

7 Range renovator chilling with a coordination tower? Goodnight

Ferren hideout an owl in on a unit with 4ap. Lift and quicken, done. Rage band him for furious frost cone giggles too.

It's not about one single super unit. It's about around 4 half-super units.

17. Senshu

The contest has officially ended. The winner will be posted later on. Good luck to everyone who participated.

It may take me a little while to make a decision :D

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    HalfGodBro and Onifrk like this.
  18. Senshu

Some really good submissions were made here which made picking just one extremely difficult. There are many submissions that I want to play and ll over time give them a spin. So, I decided to give everyone who made a submission the player award 'Pox BG Builder.'

In the end this was a contest so a winner needs to be chosen. This decision is purely based on personal preference and some gut instincts. The winner is WraithxxV with: http://poxbase.com/#!/deck/c24cpocwfCktChLCdbCdQCi4Cdmcams7Ks7@s19s2Ls13s2-S7ur1_rPr30e4e2PeH . I really like the concept behind this BG, and it has a lot of potential for me to personalize.

Congratulations to WraithxxV for earning the 'Master of Pandering' player award.

As a note: I gave the prestigious player award 'Potato!' to a select few. What is this award for and what does it mean? Well that is part of the enigma behind the mysterious potato.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    Legato, DarkJello and Agirgis1 like this.
  19. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

Congratulations to WratihxxV and you potatoes!

20. Gaiaix555

Gaiaix555 Member

I do believe that link is broken or something, when I click it I only get the Poxbase homepage, not the actual bg.