Fry needs to have a cooldown of 1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mausini, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Mausini

Mausini I need me some PIE!

Yes I lost to it and its stupid op. Everyone saying it is not plain op and needs urgent nerfs is abusing that Bane Shift right now.

4NIK8 likes this.
  2. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

I can't help but agree. It would still be really strong with a cooldown.

3. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

Fry seems reasonable to me. From what I remember, it's on the attack chain, so it takes 6 ap to activate it twice. Assuming it hits two enemy champs, that will do 32 damage total.

The damage output is equivalent to that of a multiattack 1 champ with 16 damage and 6 ap. This makes fry very efficient in terms of nora cost:damage, but the drawback is that both the fry champ and it's targets need to be standing on water.

So basically it's good damage but has heavy restrictions on it's use. Counterplay includes distract, restaining aura, terrain generation, and not standing on water.

4. potatonuts

Do you think water is enough of a drawback clause though? It just seems to me that running a couple of Swamp Things and Tidemasters is what most FS players do anyway.

5. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Let it be. (I don't play it)

6. 4NIK8

4NIK8 I need me some PIE!

Honestly, you lost mainly due to bad positioning. Turn after turn grouping your units in AoE 2. At one turn I managed to do 29 dmg to 3 units of yours with a single Tide Wave and Lighting Storm. The next turn I did 31 dmg to another 3 units with 1 pounce and another Lightning Storm... So even if there were no fry units around you would still have lost, sorry...

@nepyonisdead saw that game and can attest what I'm saying.

With that said, it might be on the edge of OP mainly due to AoE 5, not because of dmg or CD. Also it's not more OP then zombies, ST beasts, constructs, SL meta, etc..

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  7. Zetsu

Zetsu The King of Potatoes

I don't think water is a drawback as FS has many ways of generating water on the spot.

Multiattack on a ranged champ with 16 is hard to come by or even on a melee champion at 70 nora with paralytic feedback and damaging shield. Multiattack also costs more than Fry. It really has a huge range on a champ who has paralytic feedback and damaging shield and a ton of ahealth so it's not easy to take out. Distract is not easy to find in a lot of factions. Terrain generation is also not too common and more than likely will lleave you at a disadvantage if they draw something like Soak the earth or even flood gen which are both more efficient counter to your counter. I feel a cooldown of 1 is reasonable.

Seems to efficient for me but I don't know.

8. potatonuts

Do you think that getting the water in place is enough of a drawback? It just seems to me like the units and spells which provide it are all fairly good runes at the least by themselves.

I've only played against it once though so I might be biased speaking from a loss but that amount of damage for the AP does seem pretty high even if you do need the water there.

9. nepyonisdead

nepyonisdead I need me some PIE!

Mausini not trying to offend or anything as I am far from the best player but you did give him 2 free uses with fry that you knew were coming, lighning spell was unexpected I grant you that. With that being said I do think a 0 CD on fry is powerful (whether its OP Ill leave that to the devs) and ability like blood seek and others have CD 2 so I think they need to work on that. Thats my take on it @4NIK8

10. Mausini

Compare Fry with Blast or any other AOE Ability.
    • Fry costs 6!!! nora. 0 cd
    • Blast costs 10 nora. 4 cd
    • Any cone was set to 3 cd because it was to spammable. 10 nora.
    • Absolute Zero: 8 nora, 4 cd, 8 nora. Preconditions like Fry.

All aoe stuff was changed to higher cd's for a good reason, Fry looks like a leftover to me. Or give Fry at least proper nora costs. Water in FS as a precondition is 0 problem too

11. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

I think fry is pretty mega but can we quit with this idea that water is a given for FS? You have to build a deck around it, just like anything else. When you build an amp deck, you select amp champs. A fire deck, fire champs... Etc.

What I'm saying is that it dictates your deck... You want Backfire? Tough, you can't because you need flood.

yeah, there are good options, but you still have to build them in.

doubtofbuddha, aseryen and prymusedek like this.
  12. Mausini

You need 2 Tide Masters in that deck and it starts working... Thats not exactly what I call tough requirement. Some more water stuff for making it not to draw dependent and tataaaa.

13. potatonuts

Agreed but the question I'm asking is does it cost them enough to justify the strength of Fry? Some of the water generating options are runnable with no real drawbacks, Swamp Thing for example is a really good champion and get's a good payoff for landing Tidal Wave on multiple opponents so where is the drawback in fielding him to synergize with Fry?

I'm also not saying there needs to be significant drawbacks but if there aren't then the ability shouldn't be so strong.

14. Atherhog

I guarantee if you go with two water sources, your strategy is screwed.

15. Mausini

And this is why I wrote that he need some more water gen... -.-

16. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

2 Tide Masters and 2 Elder Mukwurms (who also have Fry) are what I use on the champ side. I complement that with 1x Monsoon and 1x Circadian Vault. Granted, I'm not running a dedicated Fry deck (it's a FS/SP split with Lightning Storm), but still... my point is having enough water is easy without having to consider Flood, which is a terrible spell imo. You do need to specialize and dedicate slots, but not that much. Plenty of room for Backfire.

17. Atherhog

You're right, they are super runnable. But the conditions for success add up. You need the champs for water, you need the fry champs, you need to get the positioning right. That's alot of variables, when your opponent is countering your play.

18. 4NIK8

4NIK8 I need me some PIE!

I run 7 different sources of water and 4 fry champ, that's basically one third the bg dedicated for the theme to start working. Then you have the champs and spells to support the bg style, which are another 7+ runes... Is that too much or too little?

Two of the water sources are water gen relics, whose whole purpose is to allow me to use fry. So to even start doing dmg with fry I need to spend nora. Once the relic is deployed, it can, and should, be easly be killed.

Only one of the 7 water sources will give me an instant AoE 4, costs 40 nora, does only 8 dmg and can hit my own units. All the rest are AoE 3, so decent positioning could really decrease the efficiency of fry.

Aside from that, the small frog and tidemaster are really squishy, so it's not hard at all to get rid of them. Kill the water gen, get the positioning right and the fry bg will have a hard time. It's also really susceptible to early rush.

Atherhog likes this.
  19. Mausini

Yea. Super easy to counter.
    That 18 game win streak might indicate that it is not that easy to counter. Normaly data like that happens if something very op is abused heavily.

20. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

So I am curious what you were playing when you won 23 out of 26 games between Jul 10th and Jul 12th ;)

~

As for Fry, no, it wasn't left over. It's intentionally 0 CD. Note that since it got added to the attack chain, it's much harder to spam now.

I could see it going to 3 AP tho, or costing a few nora more, but the preconditions for use are relatively high on this ability (Absolute Zero, for example, always works and is AE8, it just does a bit more damage if the targets meet one of MANY criteria). Fry simply doesn't work unless you and the target are both on water.