Thoughts on trashtalking?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Agirgis1, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

I think its funny and enjoyable most of the time....But what do you guys think about it and the ppl who do it?

2. KingoftheDepths

KingoftheDepths Well-Known Member

I think a minotaur player should not dare talk down to anyone. Specially the KING OF THE....

3. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Do it. The more trash you talk the cooler you are. Truth.

Ur fat.

allyorbase and DarkJello like this.
  4. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

I think some peoples feelings get hurt easier when they read your insults. I don't care what gets said to me, but whatever I say to whomever is trash talking, I always ends up with the "N word" getting tossed at me like its something not 200 years old.

People need thicker skin over the internet and the "U mad bro" meme died like... ages ago.

5. RedDain

RedDain I need me some PIE!

Why can't we all get along?

TeaNinja and Dagda like this.
  6. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Pfft the only depth you king of is your *******, didnt all the ass whooping i gave you in ranked que tire you out?

7. only

only Active Member

when it comes to those drama affairs, there are no winners. both sides lose, always!

singinsammy likes this.
  8. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Making a thread about how trashtalking is nice and not being able to handle LoneVVolf, who is the most innocent, amusing and hilarious trashtalker I've seen in the game is laughable.

KingoftheDepths likes this.
  9. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

i like trashtalkers except when i don't

#BESTALLTIME#pleashehaveahart

10. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

After a game there should be an option to report the player, so the chat log would be sent to a moderator and they would eventually ban or do something to them.

Astamir, singinsammy and Nemorga like this.
  11. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

my problem with l0ne is that he has no skill to back it up... if he wasn't one of the worst players ive ever destroyed i wouldn't mind :)

Ballballer likes this.
  12. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

It's immature, and I couldn't care less about it to be honest.

I don't mind if you are cheeky about it, but that got nothing to do with having the skills to back it up. If you got the skills then you should be able to win gracefully, otherwise you aren't any better than a sore loser.

JazzMan1221, singinsammy and Nemorga like this.
  13. Schmacko

Schmacko I need me some PIE!

If you instigate it to someone you don't know you're probably a d-bag. If you're just responding to it... it's slightly more understandable. There's a high % of a-holes in the game, which I always thought was probably one of the turn offs to newer players. I totally get games that limit in game chat to a few preset phrases.

14. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

actually no rules against blacklisting put out by DoG yet....i think....... btw razz after some minor trashtalking in my game against kernok... he completely lost his sht and flamed me too.... with a lot more swearing then vs you , now he is off trying to make pox chess or some sht hahahah

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
  15. singinsammy

singinsammy Member

I'm going to comment on this, even though it will probably open the door for more negativity. I am disappointed that when guys really want to lash out and try to hurt another man, "******" is invariably the the insult used.

As a gay gamer, this alone almost made me quit poxnora. And I KNOW there are others out there who, because of abusive language such as this, feel unsafe and attacked when confronted with this and similar words.

The notion that we should "develop thicker skins" is fallacious. Ignoring the bully on the schoolyard did not, in fact, make him go away. It is the responsibility of the game administrators and moderators to help create a safe environment for all to enjoy gameplay; unless of course a poxnora culture of violent communication is part of their goal.

It is also the responsibility of individuals to stand up for themselves; unfortunately, because of the cyber nature of our interactions, the trash talkers have a certain shield to hide behind: the screen. I find people more willing to spew verbal abuse when anonymously typing to a stranger than when they are actually face to face with another human being, and being held accountable.

The trash talk is born of suppressed anger, insecurity, need for dominance due to lack of true self respect, and any number of other sad personal circumstances.

I sincerely hope the admins create a system of accountability, reporting in game chats or something similar.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2014
  16. Latviak

Latviak New Member

I usually dont trashtalk unless there are 2 8spd experimental warspirits in my font with AP gen support unit backing them. Seriously i have NEVER felt so hopeless in my life. This is my excuse for saying bad words. Forgive me father. Amen.

17. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

Personally I don't understand the need for trash talk. Few things piss me off so much as someone trash talking on the internet. Just because there's anonymity doesn't mean that you don't have to respect the other people you're interacting with. Just my 2 cents.

If the insults were creative I wouldn't mind so much because they might actually make me laugh then but they tend to be precariously similar to middle school bullying. I don't know about you guys but those weren't pleasant times for yours truly.

Nemorga likes this.
  18. kagebunshn

kagebunshn I need me some PIE!

As another gay gamer, I totally agree with sammy. Telling someone to 'Just have a thicker skin' is a dressed up way of blaming a victim for being victimized. Where I work, people get fired for saying the N-word., and rightly so. On the other hand, its OK for someone to call me a filthy f@xxxt, and tell me all about how we're gonna burn in hell to my face.

Hate speech got to be hate speech because it was used as a weapon to terrorize whole groups of people...Every guy that gets gay-bashed hears the word *** before they get their head stomped in. Do a little research and you'll find out that the number of hate crimes going up, even while other crime rates are going down. Throwing that word out there in a conversation is meant to provoke very specific, very brutal, very personal feelings in some person. The same thing goes for the N word. It's a positive thing that people are using that language less in person. However, people turn into hateful little trolls on the internet because of their perceived anonymity.

I've had days like that too where I've gone off the rails on someone that probably didn't deserve it. I still agree there should be a way to report harassing language. There should be some threshhold of strikes that will get someone banned from chat for some period of time. League of Legends punishes hate speech and even goes so far as to remind people about it in their loading screen messages. The threshhold to get in trouble is probably pretty high, which is OK. You don't have to go all thought police on everyone and insta-ban folks that have bad days. Just the potential to get in trouble is enough to curb harmful behavior in many cases.

It's like the security camera they put in the entrance at the grocery store. It's not going to stop the hard core thieves that are systematically stealing, but it will stop a ton of average folks from trying to steal that lipstick or candy bar in a moment of weakness. 'Oh crap they got my face on camera, i better not.' Same idea.

Apostate, BansheeX and Astamir like this.
  19. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I trashtalk everyone, let me quote the great sinwind:

"I never get outplayed, if I lose the other guy cheated"

Obviously if they cheat I reserve the right to talk some smack

Makorov likes this.
  20. Makorov

Makorov I need me some PIE!

I'm not sure where you're from, but here in 'Murica, it's said about 1000 times in hip hop songs, clubs, bars, and even at the mother****in library. By black people.

Also, I've had my ass kicked by a gay guy once. So whenever I hear someone use the term "***" as in insult, I chuckle and think "Such an inexperienced youth!"

21. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

gotta point out that (my views on the subjects aside) there's a difference between trashtalking and gaybashing. one can go too far, the other already has basically by its nature

as far as why people pick '******' as their insult of choice, i couldn't tell you. i do remember seeing a louis c.k. piece about the word, though-

guess it's just what a subset does, self-reinforces. so on. i dunno

KingJad and BurnPyro like this.