Horrible FW Spells/Equipment ideas:

Discussion in 'Forsaken Wastes' started by yobanchi, Aug 20, 2016.

1. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

First off I'll say that if any of these see play let me know how you make good use of them in a bg. Otherwise this is just some brainstorming I was doing on some of the Terribad spells/equipment/relics in FW. This doesn't have a purpose, I just enjoy thinking about this kind of stuff.

Spells-
    Black Ops - Target champion gains Startle and Still Life.

Corpse Collection - All friendly undead champions gain Assimilate and Dead Eater for 1 turn.

Blight the Holy - (off of Howling Wind code - Rename to just Blight) 30 nora. Non-Undead and Avatars within 5 spaces take 5 disease damage. Units Successfully damaged gain Vulnerability: Disease until end of turn.

Delay - (off of late to battle code) 25 nora. The next time an opposing enemy champion is deployed it becomes Cursed, Slowed, and Defiled for 6 turns. This effect is hidden until triggered and cannot be cleansed.

Necrosis: Replace Boon of the undead with Disease Eater. Boon pretty much has been removed with only a few instances hanging around.

Snuff: Replace Mutant with Skeleton. I mean look at the art and animation... plus there is like 1 mutant in all of FW, most were just outright removed.

Relics-
    Mist of the dead: replace the 50% from ranged attacks to just Absorb. This may seem like a wash but it gives it at least 1 additional turn of contesting instead of just being ranged down entirely.

Plague Trap: Just outright remove infectious. This ends up effecting your own guys the vast majority of times since the enemy is in control of their champs and they are going to be next to yours which don't have immunity disease.

Equipment:
    Fleshsewn Helm- Replace Boon of the Undead with either Hunter Disease or Revere Mairdeth. With the tone down of hunter this helps disease bgs. Revere Mairdreth as an ability was wiped from wretched witch...bring it back.

Darkmarsh Blackstaff - Disease Eater & Poison Eater. Foglar swamp Gain Amp poison. Forsaken Waste Gain Amp Disease. Getting rid of that immunity magic combo with incorporeal units as well as the additional reference to boon of the undead.

SireofSuns likes this.
  2. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I think you mean Necro Hex, but yes.

Some trick decks in the works which might use this.

Or just remove mutant entirely. Making it Zom/Worm/Skel makes it most decks in FW. Mutant seems a hold-over from when worms were more complicated.

3. yobanchi

Yeah there was a sweep removing mutant from all FW except for the doombringer.

4. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

Nice to see you are still figthing to improve FW youban :)
    (Scampers back to the shadows)

5. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Id like to see spell trap changed to target enemy champion and they get blasted when they cast a spell

Netherzen likes this.
  6. yobanchi

Yeah there are a lot of things that could use changes... If you have any ideas or suggestions feel free.
    Where possible I've tried to note other similar code rune aspects or just doing simple ability additions to cut down on the resources to make it easier.
    Totally new code/redesigns are probably less likely to happen but brainstorming is always good.

7. themacca

i figured a simple targeting mechanic would not be a particularly large coding change. Could help bring that spell outside of jimdar cheese

8. yobanchi

Now when you say 'blast' do you mean something like:
    Spell trap 20 nora: When the opponent plays a spell target champion loses 10 hp. This effect is hidden until triggered.

9. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

I had an idea for Delay a while ago that seemed to get a lot of positive feedback. Here it is for reference:

Increase the cost to 30 and change the effect to: "The next time your opponent deploys a champion from the runedock, 3 Shades are summoned within 3 spaces of that champion. This effect is hidden until triggered." Shades, for reference, are the champions created by the Sword of Shadows equip from UD. They have 8 damage, 5 speed, 1-2 range, 1 defense, and 15 HP.

This would make Delay similar to Late to Battle in how it hinders the opponent's next deploy, but instead of incapacitating the champion itself, it bogs them down with spirits. My original thought was to have them spawn adjacent to the opposing champion, but this might be too strong if drawn first turn. Having them spawn within 3 spaces means you have to waste all their first turn's AP moving them next to the opponent, giving them a chance to escape. Alternatively, if Shades are too strong, the new Rift Spirits would also suffice. They have lower stats and come with Rift Bound, so the opponent doesn't necessarily have to kill them himself; yet they will still serve their initial purpose of delaying the approach of an enemy champion.

Also, I think it would be neat if Black Ops granted you the ability to see what hidden spells your opponent has up. Make Black Ops last for 4 turns and have the effect: "All hidden spells your opponent has in play have their effects revealed. For the next 4 turns, any hidden spells your opponent plays will appear in the combat log." Sort of a counter to counter spells, useful but maybe still too restricted in scope?

potatonuts likes this.
  10. yobanchi

The Delay suggestion is pretty awesome, totally support that flavor greatness.

Black Ops would require a lot of effort for not much benefit in my opinion. There currently is no code or effects that specifically tell you hidden stuff and for 20 nora that is still a sucky ability no one will use. I agree with your assessment that it is still way to restrictive.

11. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

What about Ritual of Ashes? I've always thought that it should last until the end of turn or for a number of attacks. It's sounds good on paper but I've never gotten good results from it.

12. themacca

It would pretty much become one of those nora weave, masochism, battle fatigue type spells where it forces your opponent to not engage or give you a big advantage. Would be an awesome change

13. TeaScholar

TeaScholar Better-Known Member

omg its BansheeX!! We miss you! :oops:

Tweek516 and yobanchi like this.
  14. JazzMan1221

I'd like to recommend adding Lichbone Staff to the list. Personally, I don't feel like Chain Lightning has aged as well as other AOE abilities. The damage on champions other than the target is frankly pathetic. Maybe increase the cost to 35 and make it grant Black Tempest and Static Aura to equipped Liches. Or, if Black Tempest is too much, keep the cost the same and it can grant Lightning Blast on equip + Storm Acolyte to Liches.

Netherzen likes this.
  15. JazzMan1221

I'd also like to propose a redesign of the Deathcaster. When it was first buffed a while ago, it saw quite a bit of play, since you were able to run it at under 80 nora with Soulsift 2. Currently it's just way too expensive and 1-dimensional for that to work, and it's hardly the threat it used to be. Following his theme of a self-destructive, pain-wielding mage, I think something like this would suit him well:

-10 HP
    2-4 range
    Self Destruct, Death Nova, and Disease Eater removed from base
    Vulnerability: Acid to base
    New upgrades in both trees

Thrash added to base
    Vitality: Creation added to base
    New upgrade T1: Tormented, Assimilate
    New upgrade T2: Perseverence, Damage Shield: Disease 3, Masochism

So the final product would end up looking like this:

10 damage
    6 speed
    2-4 range
    0 defense
    44 HP

Attack - Magical
    Death Pact
    Thrash
    Vitality: Creation
    Vulnerability: Acid

U1: Tormented, Assimilate
    U2: Perseverence, Damage Shield: Disease 3, Masochism

16. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

It's the immunity electricty part that doesn't really make any sense. An otherwise solid equip IMO weighed down by the fact that immunity electricity is very situational - would do better with equipped champion also gets X ability, maybe soul tap or even storm acolyte

17. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

Eehh, it's actually pretty decent if used in an Elsari Coven module. I've seen it pump out a LOT of damage. For instance, once (it was against ai, sue me), a Cyclops Mauler hit my RoA'd champ for close to 20 damage, all of the nearby enemy champions were cursed, so they all took about 15 damage. That's a LOT of potential for 30 nora.
    Though I do agree that it could maybe last longer than 6 turns.

I think the Storm Acolyte on Liches would be pretty nice.
    Granted, I've used it in place of AOE damage spells sometimes, if I'm going heavy equipment/relic and have the Bazaar. It can be pretty decent then, as it can make back its cost very quickly.

18. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

The problem with something like this is evaluating its effect on draw wins. Unlike Late to Battle, which is probably taking on the order 2 AP, this spell has the potential of stopping someone from reaching mid-side fonts fairly consistently.

19. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Unfortunately, changing the WAY a spell casts and in this case what it affects is actually a large part of what the code does, since structurally it is very different.

For example, in this example, the spell currently just casts - and puts a global effect to "watch" for a spell.

Changing it to a targeted spells means it needs targeting rules and target validation (Is the champion a valid spell target? who can the spell target? friendlies, enemies? etc.). And instead of a Global effect, it is now an Idol effect, so the effect type has to change, and idol effects has different criteria compared to global (can it be cleansed? dispelled? does it show the icon on the champion?).

20. JazzMan1221

I suppose we could increase the cost to 40 to make it more difficult to deploy AND cast Delay on your first turn. With FW's plethora of cheap champions though, I'm not sure if 40 would be quite enough, and any more nora would probably make it undesirable. We could also change the Shades themselves into Lesser Shades, which would have 4 speed and ~8 HP making them easier to kill, thereby decreasing the amount of AP taken with the spell.