Discussion: Video Q&A May 1, 2015

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Senshu, May 1, 2015.

1. hfok

hfok I need me some PIE!

@Senshu Can we at least have the list of question asked like how moles use to do?

Appreciated!

EDIT: by the way, you pronounce my name correctly

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  2. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

lol that signature.

3. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

keep working to improve things devs, you are doing a good job. don't let negative comments bother you.

4. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

Good to know I got your name right and sure here are the questions.

Since this is a different format, a shorter video than before, and done completely internally we wanted to see if players really wanted that, but I guess your questions answers that :)
    1. Many improvements have been in the time period between the release of expansion 24 and now. What were the major design goals for the Ronin expansion period and how well do you think the changes made accomplished these goals? Also, what was the largest design challenge you faced with during expansion 24 period?
    2. What are your intended design goals for Expansion 25 "Coalitions," and how have your goals for this expansion changed based on community feedback of prior changes?
    3. In the buildup to Coalitions, what new ability or mechanic do you think is going to either have the largest impact on Pox Nora’s Meta or will be highly used?
    4. Bondman007 asks: Pox's player base is down. It needs a jolt! It has been leaked that you have have some "advertising" budget for this expansion. What are you guys going to do to get more new players and old players playing Pox Nora?
    5. super71 asks: “Are their plans for faction specific packs and or reducing costs on current packs? Could something like this be implemented and how could it be done to achieve the best results?”
    6. WhatTheHex asks: “What is your stance on releasing all core-set runes for free so new players have a hold-on when they start.”
    7. Markoth asks: “If you could go back in time and reverse a single decision about the games direction (Avatars, 2v2, 30 rune decks, etc.) what would it be?
    8. chickenpox2 asks: “Will there be split faction runes in coalitions? if not can we have a split faction expansion for the next one?”
    9. OriginalG1asks: “Will we get a split faction hero for every split faction combination?”
    10. OriginalG1 asks: “Is cutthroat poxnora an interesting idea? (3 players)”
    11. hfok asks: “Could you explain your role as a lead designer and how you work with the team or how the team work with you?”
    12. super71 asks: “Will naming tokens ever come back?
    13. themacca asks: “Have you guys considered making a better tutorial that teaches players about the more technical aspects of the game? Such as, good spacing and threat range, so new players know more about the game than deploying, moving, and equipping.”
    14. h0spy asks: “When are we getting improved spam bot protection on the forums?

Poxjedi, OriginalG1 and hfok like this.
  5. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

shark on your shirt... no sharks in the game???

6. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

WOOOOOO! my voice has been heard and addressed <3thankyou

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    BurnPyro and Iskandak like this.
  7. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Tar Sharks confirmed for Coalitions.

Pixyrus, OriginalG1, Kampel and 3 others like this.
  8. Skeezick

Skeezick Forum Royalty

tar sharks and cactuars for SL 2015

9. VindraxIsMyHomie

VindraxIsMyHomie New Member

What?! There was a CTF game mode? K'thir OP

10. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

In regards to my question i really like what you said about having the puzzle like campaign things, maybe not so much to always be focused JUST on the shrine but on a lot of different important scenarios. In fact i remember a yugioh game back on gameboy advance had something similar and i think things like that really helped me get better at that game just as it could help players in this game. Thanks for your time and effort by the way guys

11. VindraxIsMyHomie

VindraxIsMyHomie New Member

The Pox puzzles idea would be a good way to do tutorials, highlight mechanics, and keep the player base interested. The old MtG books used to have puzzles like that in the back of them. They were the best! The problem is the could end up being a development distraction, as many of the past changes were determined to be. By the nature of them, once you solve a puzzle you have little reason to replay it.

In my opinion the ideal way to implement something like that would be to provide a few such puzzles with releases to showcase new abilities, but also to allow the player base to design and release puzzles. If anyone here is familiar with Neverwinter Online, there are Foundry dungeons in the game. These are dungeons designed by players, that go through an approval process before being released. Once released other players can run through the dungeons, rate, and review them. There is also a nice feature where players can tip other players, to reward time an effort put in (maybe we could tip shards). There could also be achievements for creating dungeons such as reaching a certain # of reviews/plays/rating/etc. From a developer perspective this should be great! You get free dev effort and an player base that is more engaged.

havendreamer likes this.
  12. Burcho

Burcho I need me some PIE!

Miaow!

Sokolov likes this.
  13. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

I finally got to watch the Q&A yesterday. It was exciting to see Sokolov talk about the game, the future and the rest. Great work. There is a lot of room to improve those kind of videos though. You should always keep in mind that you are representing the company and game with every public appearance you make. So perhaps you should invest a few bucks into better equipment. A new camera for Senshu and better microphones for both of you would go a long way. If you go through the hassle of setting up some greenscreens you could increase the production value of your videos by about a million. And of course a new battery for the crying smoke detector would be great too. ;) (I'm just going to assume that the beeping was coming from that.)

But yeah, I'm legitimately impressed by Sokolovs.. everything. Can't find the correct english word for what I'm trying to say. But it was great. I'm looking forward to see more~

VindraxIsMyHomie likes this.
  14. havendreamer

havendreamer New Member

Must have been like 4 to 5 times during the Q&A, whenever Sok would elaborate on the challenge and incremental pace of revising, improving, or generally fleshing out some part of the overall user experience with the limited resources and manpower they have (which I think they are using well, with what they have); the thoughts would slide ruefully across my brain: "Wish Pox had a player submission utility and in-game implementation method... Every other game I love has a massive mod community attached to it... Boy, that would get solved fast if only players could be harnessed to make it... That would make a fun community design challenge... Too bad the player base doesn't have the tools to make that in Pox..." etc.

There are some basic and serious user experience "holes" in the Pox system, in ways that don't break the game for the current player base, but severally limit the ability of the game to gain any further ground. Just to start with something, I'll start at the start: The index page. Should this be the preferred landing pad for everyone, or can it be retooled towards enticing, engaging, and convincing new visitors to become new players? They need to know what Pox can offer them! Should there be a Better and Bolder description of Pox Nora higher up in the screen real estate, surrounded by community descriptions and accolades about the game? Should there be a slick guided tour with interactive rollovers and a 45 second fast forward video of game play and flashed screenshots of many different in-game and website features supporting game play and community involvement? The front page is beautiful, but is it sexy and exciting? Does it need to be sexy and exciting? Maybe not, but should its primary purpose be generating new players or convincing all the old, Old, OLD players to return? Yes, and Yes.
    Next is new player experience. A big thumbs up on new player welcome track setup and integration of many of the website features, but some major holes still exist: A one-time or diminishing discount for purchasing core packs (I know, I know, dangerous invitation for account spamming, but beyond freebies, new players need to commit some money to have true buy-in, and an initial purchase with a low bar might help). tutorials, yes I see your point Sok. They've gotten better, but still not beyond the most painfully basic actions (and, how much nora does a shrine/font generate?) Ahhh... suck gtg... but before I do, intermediate player experience: player guides for a few standard intermediate and advanced tactics (pacing, spacing, synergy, blahblahblah), support for searchable rune ability/keyword database, and filters for the same in the deck builder, one further split of core/extended sets in marketplace with similar-to-current price scale.

Moles likes this.
  15. kurokenshi

kurokenshi New Member

i have some idea if you are interesting to improve the game it would take time but it need to be done in my point of view,
    1 you guys need lots of work on Rune you might work with leg and exo first most rune relic spell need to be unique with ability attack effect ect.
    2 skill animation and that give flavor for the game or entrance animation that would help you guys to pull more player
    and that what i have think of you might have think of it already but i love this game i love to see it growing.

16. BernieTime

BernieTime New Member

As a new player to Pox Nora I find it takes a lot of hours grinding to acquire enough runes to where you can start fielding your own deck. It would have been nice to get a mixed bag of uncommon/common runes after selecting a faction [Protectorate or Wrath] along with a couple of core set boosters. The training decks are nice initially, but new players shouldn't have to slog so much time to start playing with their own runes.

badgerale and Lushiris like this.
  17. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Actually, you don't really have to grind to get runes, as doing will just save you a bit more time(not much, given new players can't really complete Heroic Achievements). If you diligently do Dailies and complete regular achievements everyday, you'll get 3000 gold a day, and it's possible doing it with 2 games(sometimes more depending on achievements).

Not saying it's the ideal, but making your own deck is far from being hard(can't deny it does take time though, pretty much a month for a box if you do as I said). I know it sounds harsh but trust me, after you complete your first deck(preferably a themed one) things get a LOT easier. Focus on learning the game, runes are just a matter of time.

Anyway, do you like a specific faction/race/theme yet?

18. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Liked it. Senshus reading may have been pretty bad in the beginning, but it got a lot better over time.

19. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

It's not necessarily 'hard' in that if you know what you are doing you can build it pretty quickly.

But a newbie shouldn't be expected to know what they are doing, they should be taken by the hand through the process.

I've always thought the collecting of runes and the initial deck building could be really addictive and compelling for a newbie - a real selling point of the game - rather than a hurdle to overcome.

Look at Firking Pokemon - the whole game is just collecting cards. Pox could be like that, but better because there is an actual game as well.

20. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

That's why I said it's far from being hard.