Races Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Olgachary, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Olgachary

Olgachary The King of Potatoes

As this game has progressed many races have been merged and mixed up but there are many races that have been lost or merged over time. This thread is meant to be an open discussion about the current races and how they currently function.

To begin here is my current thoughts:

Underdepths:
    The majority (yes I'm using it in a literal sense here with 130/224 champions) are demons (that is including split faction runes such as naria and stitched). I don't understand how this has become the case with so much diversity in the faction.
    Personally I would like to see the return of deep elves as a race. I would also like to see imps loose their demon classification. Imp BG's has a unique play style of AP control, I understand that initially they might have had to be classified as demons to see some use in the game but I think they've reached the point now where the demon classification could be removed as I would LOVE to see some unique imp ideas that aren't just piggybacking demons and utilising demon equips (I'm looking at you imp strangler and demon shield).

I'm a little bit undecided about Bok's. They are still demons after all.

Forsaken wastes:

The same argument could be made as above for the 'undead' units of the faction - but I more see the undead side of the faction as more of a tag to say 'this spell will work on these units'. I accept there is allot of different races within the FW, zombies, spirits etc. I think for the way this faction works in terms of races as a whole is unique to the FW and it works well.

Ironfist stronghold:

Again unique to the faction - a bulk of races in the main race with a variety of smaller races with unique play styles.... but I do think the humans need some love... I mean not every human has to be a barbarian or evil, some could be a bit more civilised like the inquisition.

Sundered Lands:

Can't complain, I love that there isn't a dominant race in the sundered lands with a mix of races sharing a decent share of the runes each with a unique style of play.

K'thir Forest:
    I like it - but please stop giving elves so much love - there's allot of races in the forest and I'd like to see some more runes for the other races. It seems like the elves are being given most of the newer themes for KF. Auroran elves, De'lim elves. I just hope the next theme goes to someone other than elves again!

Forglar Swamp:

I'm a bit biased on this one (as I use Forglars as my main bg) but one thing I can say is that jellebrium need some love. They might mess things up a little for your opponent now and then by throwing things onto cooldown but it's never enough to really get them going and if you're playing them as a pshycic surge they're sub-par on killing things.

Shattered Peaks:

Again - Love the mix of races - each with a unique style and theme. I especially love the new races being added to them too (Arryo) that introduces a new play style for the faction.

Savage Tundra:

Strigs - Just as they were about to get off the ground - they got demoted to beasts. I hope this is a short term change as I love their designs and unique designs as well as their order and story.

mw24 likes this.
  2. Compost

Compost I need me some PIE!

New Jellebrium with aoe psychic attack please...

3. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

SL ftw, just wait for sok's new idea of mutant raceability and they will be a thing too :)

4. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Unless it has changed, I believe the player-made expansion has Treefolk, Garu, and Beasts coming for KF. No elves for an entire expansion? Suspicious.

super71 and Etherielin like this.
  5. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

FS is getting there, Crocs, Jellies and Poison have had a number of nice things over the recent past. Might see some kind of Stealth Boghopper thing develop, im just going off a number of Darkmarsh runes having access to Stealth and Darkwarsh Warsong recently being changed, theres also Darkmarsh Helm and a lot of Hidden: Water within FS.

6. phdstax

phdstax Active Member

Jellies are one of the best themes in the game right now.

super71 and Etherielin like this.
  7. Compost

Compost I need me some PIE!

Mostly because other FS themes got nerfed hard. Psychic/Firk are probably the best FS theme, still weaker than voil and all that jazz

8. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Probably permanent. And making them beasts actually allows for guiltless designing them, since that doesn't mean compromising into making a whole new theme anymore.

9. Elves Rule

Elves Rule I need me some PIE!

Why would you not want more elves? I mean sure literally every other theme could do with help, but ELVES. That wins arguments. Everyone loves elves.

10. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Waiting for Smokey to come in and go full Garithos on you. :p

Elves Rule likes this.
  11. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

note that there are lots of sub classes of demons, Imps. demon-spiders, the bok (which are mostly bleed units). its not like UD is lacking in themes demon is just there to make it so that stuff works on them (for example blood balls and relocate)

12. Olgachary

But it just feels so lazy to give up on them - they have so much potential. Throw in some nice unique spells and relics for the strig and you've got something! I played around with the strig a fair bit when it was a unique race and it feels like it's on the verge of becoming something with potential.

I guess one of my issues here is that they're just not beasts. All the lore around them is that their civilised and quite stuck up. It's the equivalent of saying 'that angel has wings... It's probably a beast...' The voil has more of a case to be classed as beasts than the Strig do.

Anima26 likes this.
  13. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

I agree with you - they'd make an awesome theme and are a bit weird as beasts - but sadly Strigs drew the short stick. So now we've got to work with what we have.

Anima26 likes this.
  14. Olgachary

But why do certain things work as demons? Why should an imp gain health from blood balls? They're just the equivalent of the fairy in the game (who aren't marked as elves). Why do some of the spiders have demon classes? Spiders don't drink blood. The only one I can understand where it would make sense is k'lzik - because it's literally a demon spider and *maybe* the rust demon... because it has demon in the name.

Anima26 and Lushiris like this.
  15. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

I'd like to see ud not all demons and fw not all undead, it gets annoying watching serkan super champ bgs proc vengeful off of everything. Also all champs with a beast in the picture changed to the champ riding the beast not split races.

16. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

UD players will be mad that they cannot use Masochism so easily.

SPiEkY likes this.
  17. themacca

Yeah intended game design is such an annoying thing!

davre likes this.
  18. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Why does Dusk Creeper have race: Undead, Worm again? It's the only Worm-Worm (aka just a worm) with that race on it. Others (Bloodworm, Blood Fiend, Eye of Serkan and Colossus) are either backed up by some found explanation (Bloodworm is literally vampyre - worm fusion, blood fiend is some ancient, reanimated thing, eye is Serkan's experiment and Colossus is hulk of meat first, worm second).

I see no reason as to why it needs to improve range of EVERYTHING that is Undead in FW.

19. themacca

Because it's always been undead?
    Was undead before worms were even a thing sooooo.
    Get over it

20. ChiaoLung

ChiaoLung I need me some PIE!

Perhaps change to Worm, Lich?