Pox Nora Revamp - Preview 2

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by PoxZuo, Apr 24, 2014.

1. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Maybe new sacrificing mechanics, I mean, if stitcheds don't drop relics...

2. dsjtheman

dsjtheman I need me some PIE!

"Sacmaw" is my new favorite word

DarkJello likes this.
  3. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Will be there new ability icons? There are too many of them using the same images that forces even veterans to always read champs.

4. kagebunshn

kagebunshn I need me some PIE!

Vulnerability should be exactly that, a vulnerability. You play with a vuln:frost champ and get matched against an ST player, you should think twice before spending nora on it.

The opposite is true for immunity:xxx...If you play a champ like mena turn 1, the odds are good there are 3-4 champs in their BG that they just cant play to fight him(magic being the 2nd most common damage type).

This is a healthy for the strategic value of the game. 'Vuln-gets a DoT' is a really poor way of handling it imo.

From the looks of it, the primary benefit of vuln/scorn/other penalties will be not having to pay the + value for the other option... Not taking scorn = yikes.

Again, its making me very nervous, but I remain cautiously optimistic. I'm not looking forward to having to relearn everything, and what I predict will be a volatile effect on market values of legendaries(which I have spend hundreds of dollars acquiring). Thats where the test will be, is if they can walk the line between toning things down, and making people feel like the collections they spent years building just got thrown into a fire.

5. Alfiriel

Alfiriel New Member

After sleeping over it some of the supposed changes seem fine if you look at it from a powernerf perspective...

but still I see I am not the only one concerned about having only one valid option again ...both Macho and Maw show that in their second category...which some people here seem to agree. Please reconsider if you really want different roles for champs depending on upgrades, there should be no 3 similar uopgrades in one group (Macho) and every category with negative aspects should also hold one really powerful upgrade option in the positive department to prevent cheap as possible spam (see firemaw...nobody will ever take vun (which should be maybe reworked or removed in general) over Scorn... its just way less punishing, and nobody will take tunnel lava...the terrain is too hard to generate, so the utility is pretty low in most cases simply not worth a 12 nora swing on your champ).

This preview makes me worry a bit ...since it shows what I thought after the first one. In general it is a great idea...but with the amount of runes we have this will take years to do properly... I mean only the few examples you gave already trouble a lot of people here since they have some problematic choices.

Could you tell us how far you are in the process already? How many runes are basically done? Did you collect input on this runes from long time players?

6. stayflyazn

stayflyazn Devotee of the Blood Owl

i hope that with or after the revamp you guys will balance ability costs. in fact, with a revamp, you guys could technically reset the bar. even tho what i'm seeing is alright, as it is addressing problems, so much more can be done. i know that so far, its just the upgrade system being revamp, so maybe i'm getting a little bit ahead. maybe we should be discussing the upgrade revamp in a vacuum as opposed to thinking that only the upgrade system is changing and everything is staying the same. i mean, this may only be the beginning of many more fundamental changes to come right?

7. PRESIDENT

PRESIDENT Member

Is it just me or the picture too small, I cant read any text in it :D

8. Tricky1

Tricky1 I need me some PIE!

i'm sure with such a delayed reply it my be over looked, But I'm very very confused on this revamp now. Bowmage was pretty basic, now the dragon is getting abit funky(unless you were just attempting to display selection abilities). But what really is toasting my bread is that the masochist is splitting between low hp bonus and tanking it out. I for one thought the revamp was so posed to dignify runes to their purpose? and the upgrades would allow for multiple runs( such as the crude example of kiergana with stitch and kanen upgrades). Was it misunderstanding on my behalf? of these previews or of the entire revamp? I saw a future where we would avoid having "official runes" such as cyclonic fesh being the GO TO guy for ranged in the entire faction or Deep elf priestess as the GO TO support. But instead we were moving to a Savage tundra future where we must chose between tanks/ ( frostfall vanguard, crystal yeti, jackei extinguisher) based on the battle group strategy and constistancy and not ones ability to simply afford the top rune for the role or have that META vibe drilled into them. Jackei would go in a frost amp for example and crystal with yetis or for complexity and originality sakes yeti for stunning abuse paralytic feedback(some version for stunned) and jakei for some frost burn shenanigans via second build provided by upgrades . Thank you for reading this far, can i give internet points? +50 to those readers.

9. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

I changed his writing to make it easier to read

Also i dont understand why you're bashing ST when UD has more tanks besides ppl who play meta are UD players who bandwagon heketians

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  10. Tricky1

Tricky1 I need me some PIE!

I do not appreciate the editing of my text, nor did i bash on ST. The exact opposite i was promoting it for diversity on runes for the same role allowing the players to think on their own for decisions that must be done. Please reread and try to focus on my point.

11. KingJad

lol apparently i miss read it during my editing oopsy
    Edit: maybe its the funky font

12. Dantezz

Dantezz Member

I love it! Having champs fit a role, decreasing powercreep, and giving more customization is great. I really like that abilities have nora attached, this really gives depth to deck design. Can't wait to see more.

On a side note, this small preview of the big revamp fits with what the community has talked about for years. Why so much negativity? DOG may not deal with the issues exactly how you would, but they are listening, making changes, and making the game better. Adapt and enjoy, otherwise you will just be sad.

Zenity likes this.
  13. KingJad

adapting is frustrating I rather they just buff what needs to be buffed

14. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

That's how power creep happens. I prefer this mass nerf.

15. KingJad

sorry i thought the italics worked outside of the mafia thread.. meaning sarcasm

16. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

What is the worst that can happen? That everybody picks scorn on Firemaw? Whoopdeedoo. Of all the issues that the game has, that isn't the one I would choose to be concerned about. Of course upgrades will be obvious to most people on most runes. They are a fun little add-on and provide some flexibility, but that's it. The game does not depend on all upgrades being perfectly balanced.

Another thing is, that a big revamp like this cannot happen with perfect balance. A lot of it will be trial and error after we actually get to play with the new meta. DOG will then be able to look at their stats and e.g. selectively take a look at champs which always see the same upgrade options taken and see if maybe they can be improved a bit. That is a far more efficient approach than obsessing for ages over every single rune to try and guesstimate a perfect balance. It's not going to happen anyway.

From all I've seen so far I'm convinced that I'm going to have fun playing after the revamp, and that's what truly matters.

StupidJerk likes this.
  17. only

only Active Member

I suppose the term Sacrifice could be something like

[Sacrificed] (This champion is destroyed and doesn't trigger any of its on-death abilities) so we wouldn't need Bloodless etc. ofcourse, it's very strong treatment to many runes synergies, but I suppose this is what people like. at least, it would be consistent.

Kampel and Zenity like this.
  18. ProR2D2

ProR2D2 I need me some PIE!

Looks nice. The scroll can make it more complicated though. My suggestion is to decrease the size of all the icons and letters to make the abilities fit better.
    Im concerned if adding nora values to upgrades is necessary in some cases, as this can make upgrades even harder to choose for new players.

Also, please make sure abilities AND upgrades make sense thematically when re-applying them. For example, don't give flamestrike to a Frost mage, or tough 2 and calcify to an armorless deep elf like in the example, lol.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  19. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

My vision is 20/20 while using both eyes, uncorrected. Your text choice is VERY difficult to read. Please adapt to the average human. Thanks.

On Topic:

I welcome this radical change with all my heart. DoGz is taking the necessary risks, in more ways than one.

They will make 1000 different mistakes, but how else do you expect Pox to evolve?

"Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."

--N. Bonaparte

StupidJerk likes this.
  20. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

If you insist on posting with a hard to read textsize and colour, despite being told so by people, you are branded as a troll imo. Which usually means you just get ignored.